Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Flying cars from Washington DC: The pentagons "transformer" program.

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-10, 10:18 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts
Default Flying cars from Washington DC: The pentagons "transformer" program.

ARLINGTON, Virginia — Flying cars soon may not only be a figment of an imaginative Jetsons mindset now that the U.S. military has announced a program it's calling "Transformer." The Pentagon's Defense Advanced Research Projects Agency (DARPA) research group will host a workshop on January 14 to familiarize companies with and start brainstorming ideas for the program.

DARPA says that "the objective of the Transformer (TX) program is to demonstrate a one-to-four-person transportation vehicle that can drive and fly, thus enabling the war fighter to avoid water, difficult terrain and road obstructions as well as IED and ambush threats. The vehicle will be capable of driving on prepared surface and light off-road conditions, while flight functionality will require Vertical Takeoff and Landing (VTOL)."

The problem with the current Mine Resistant Ambush Protected (MRAP) vehicles is that they have trouble safely traversing demanding battlefields like Afghanistan with such variable landscapes. A flying car would allow the military to dominate in an asymmetric warfare environment — they would have the ability to vertically take off and land anywhere as well as go over varying terrain with very few hiccups in altitude or velocity.

DARPA is looking to do three things with this program: develop a "robust vehicle design that maximizes military utility" at a low cost, determine and develop the necessary technology to make this flying car possible and, finally, build a single prototype that can go through several ground and flight tests. Some of the technology looking to be matured includes adaptive wing structures, ducted fan propulsion, composite materials, hybrid electric drive and advanced batteries.

Some companies have attempted to build flying cars; few have succeeded. Perhaps the most famous example is Moller's SkyCar, which was looked at over the summer by the military for potential use. Other attempts include the Massachusetts-based Terrafugia's street-legal "Transition" vehicle with foldable wings, but even that won't be ready to go until 2011, and it costs an expensive $194,000. Jeff Allen Case is just behind Moller and Terrafugia with his "Hammerhead" prototype that is expected to have a top speed of 250 mph at 8,000 feet.

The DARPA meeting kicks off on January 14, so those interested should make sure to register by January 7. See DARPA's announcement for more information.

Inside Line says: It would only make sense to dub the first prototype vehicle Optimus Prime when — and if — DARPA gets there. — Mike Lysaght, Correspondent
Attached Thumbnails Flying cars from Washington DC: The pentagons "transformer" program.-ns_1229092_717.jpg   Flying cars from Washington DC: The pentagons "transformer" program.-jetsons_car.jpg   Flying cars from Washington DC: The pentagons "transformer" program.-saucercarsplash_450x325.jpg   Flying cars from Washington DC: The pentagons "transformer" program.-vtol2.jpg  

Last edited by I8ABMR; 01-03-10 at 10:22 PM.
Old 01-04-10, 12:20 AM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

I like the last pic...

I'm still wating for the Hoverboard from back to the future.. We should have that by now.. its 2010 damn it.