Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru tows a 18 wheeler! with Video!!

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 06:53 PM
LiCelsior
Retired

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
Default Subaru tows a 18 wheeler! with Video!!

all it needed was a nudge and the STi gave it that nudge.

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/12/20/b...i-out-of-snow/
Old 12-21-09, 07:02 PM
Oleg400
Advanced

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

fast and practical.
Old 12-21-09, 10:15 PM
Garage7RP
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cool video!
Old 12-21-09, 10:39 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Very impressive that can even do that with snow on the ground. Very impressive
Old 12-21-09, 10:49 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Very impressive that can even do that with snow on the ground. Very impressive
True, but I wonder what kind of tires it had. WRXs and STIs, at least in the American market, come stock with high-performance, dry-weather, summer-only tires that are not particularly good in wet/snow conditions. Subaru even has a disclaimer on that.

This video, though, was (apparantly) done in the Netherlands.
Old 12-22-09, 12:22 AM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Empty or lightly loaded tractor trailers are VERY prone to getting stuck in even the slightest bit of ice/snow. Just b/c the size of the truck is massive compared to other cars around it, that doesn't necessarily translate to a very favorable weight transfer to the ground for traction(especially in snow). In all honesty, ANY car would be capable of doing the same thing; with the aid of the driver gassing on it as well. Only thing the Subie did, when he tightened the chain between them was allow the truck to utilize the full torque capability and not slide backwards into his own tracks, which is how he wound up not being able to move in the first place. How do I know?? Is what I do for a living, hence the screen name. Yeah, it is impressive to see, and can be a conversation piece, but TRUST me that subie AINT THAT STRONG. Many times I have been in the same situation, whether on the street or at a customers loading dock, and have needed a little extra tug to get going. I think the wierdest thing that I have had utilized to get me going was a forklift. Got stuck at a dock one snowy day, truck was empty so VERY LITTLE weight was now on the drive wheels, went back inside and told the operator to position his forks at the back of my trailer and when he heard me blow the horn start pushing. Once I got that extra little bite, didn't stop moving until I got to area where I was sure I could get moving again. Gave the employees a good chuckle for the afternoon.
Old 12-22-09, 07:52 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
True, but I wonder what kind of tires it had. WRXs and STIs, at least in the American market, come stock with high-performance, dry-weather, summer-only tires that are not particularly good in wet/snow conditions. Subaru even has a disclaimer on that.

winter tires i am sure...
Old 12-22-09, 09:44 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by trukn1
Empty or lightly loaded tractor trailers are VERY prone to getting stuck in even the slightest bit of ice/snow. Just b/c the size of the truck is massive compared to other cars around it, that doesn't necessarily translate to a very favorable weight transfer to the ground for traction(especially in snow). In all honesty, ANY car would be capable of doing the same thing; with the aid of the driver gassing on it as well. Only thing the Subie did, when he tightened the chain between them was allow the truck to utilize the full torque capability and not slide backwards into his own tracks, which is how he wound up not being able to move in the first place. How do I know?? Is what I do for a living, hence the screen name. Yeah, it is impressive to see, and can be a conversation piece, but TRUST me that subie AINT THAT STRONG. Many times I have been in the same situation, whether on the street or at a customers loading dock, and have needed a little extra tug to get going. I think the wierdest thing that I have had utilized to get me going was a forklift. Got stuck at a dock one snowy day, truck was empty so VERY LITTLE weight was now on the drive wheels, went back inside and told the operator to position his forks at the back of my trailer and when he heard me blow the horn start pushing. Once I got that extra little bite, didn't stop moving until I got to area where I was sure I could get moving again. Gave the employees a good chuckle for the afternoon.
That's exactly what I thought too.
Old 12-22-09, 09:50 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall

Correct me if I'm wrong but most European countries have winter tire laws, and if not, most Europeans are smart enough to put winter tires on their cars.
Old 12-22-09, 10:44 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I am surprise the bumper didnt fall off that thing
Old 12-22-09, 11:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Amusing vid, and good to have a real trucker's perspective too.
Old 12-22-09, 11:44 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by FisforFast
Correct me if I'm wrong but most European countries have winter tire laws, and if not, most Europeans are smart enough to put winter tires on their cars.
yep, there are winter equipment laws in most european countries (you have to have winter tires or chains in the back between certain dates), and plus you would not be able to drive with summer tires in weather like that...
Old 12-22-09, 04:56 PM
RX469
Pole Position

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Though all it needed was probably a good nudge, it still looks impressive for that lil Subaru!
Old 12-22-09, 07:50 PM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am surprise the bumper didnt fall off that thing

I'm sure they tied it to the rear tow hook or something. Bumper wouldn't survive that kind of tug without some damage
Old 12-23-09, 05:39 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by GSteg
I'm sure they tied it to the rear tow hook or something. Bumper wouldn't survive that kind of tug without some damage
It was just a figure of speech, but I am sure that Subaru is not rated to tow that kind of weight. Maybe less pulling force was require since the truck was on snow or ice and the truck driver help by gunning the engine.

Quick Reply: Subaru tows a 18 wheeler! with Video!!