Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-09, 01:09 PM
lexusscturbo
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Review: 2008 Boxster RS60 Spyder

ValGS350 and I were done with finals and he decided to go for a little spin in the RS60.

Boxster and a decently fast? , a contradicting statement? Nope

The 2008 RS 60 Spyder packs a decent punch. Now you maybe wondering how this stallion compares to the Base, short answer is 10fold better. One could dive hard into a corner, drive through winding turns, or chicanes without having a loss of feel or power. The RS 60 also comes equipped with Porsche’s Active Suspension Management system or (PASM) for short. It’s basically an active dampening system that lowers the body 10mm and gives the Boxster outstanding agility when negotiating the corners (fast or slow).
The powerhouse, what makes this engine different you may ask, the Spyder has a 3.4 liter six rated at 303 hp @ 6,250 rpm and 251 lb-ft of torque. 58 hp over a standard base model, and 8 over an S model. The extra goodies over an S model include a Porsche Sports exhaust with electric baffles, and a reflashed ECU. The other goodies include 19” SportDesign alloys, and the red leather interior that we have all grown to love on Stuggart’s finest Carerra’s is found on this limited model, as well as a Bose Audio System.
Keep in mind only 800 of these are available on North American shores, While 1960 were made in total to commemorate the Type 718 RS that won at the 12 hours of Sebring in 1960.

My only gripes are a few creaks in the dashboard, and the leather does have a few misfits around the edges, and the airbag cover on the passenger side. The top mechanism is not what you should expect on a Porsche, as it feels a bit unrefined and crude. But overall it’s a decent car, and just as fast as the prior generation non turbo 911, maybe a bit slower but not enough to notice. The car does burn a bit of oil at high rpms, and even with spirited driving it retains decent fuel mileage.
@ 85 mph on the highway it retained a ~23mpg figure and on spirited low speed driving an impressive 15mpg.(Keep in mind in the low speed spirited driving I dipped an ITR to get close to 10mpg).

Some Sample Image I grabbed off the net.
ooh special door sills

Purrdy red leather,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pYRaYR467UE
Mini Video Clip- Sorry for the crappy quality. My Nokia 8500 was all I had on me to record.
Old 12-21-09, 04:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by lexusscturbo
Boxster and a decently fast? , a contradicting statement? Nope
The Boxster has always, at least, IMO, been able to get out of its own way with no problem. Older models did not have as much HP/torque as newer ones, but, of course, were lighter.....that compensated somewhat. Manual models, of course, were usually slightly quicker than the TipTronics

does burn a bit of oil at high rpms
Porsche (insultingly, IMO) does not even provide an engine hood for the Boxster...the engine is sealed underneath the upper-body. You have to check fluids through a panel and long dipstick extensions. Even BMWs and Mercedes products without conventional dipsticks, using oil sensor/monitors, allow you to open the hood.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-21-09 at 05:11 PM.
Old 12-21-09, 05:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Boxster routine service is mostly done from below (notice how all the stalls in a Porsche garage have lifts). There is no normal hood with this race car-like mid-engined configuration. But the folded convertible top is quite small and can be lifted and the panels behind the front seats are removeable for access related to non-routine maintenance.

Fantistic pics of one of the ultimate drivers cars.
Old 12-21-09, 05:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV

Fantistic pics of one of the ultimate drivers cars.
Agreed....the Boxster and Mazda Miata both set standards for being excellent all-around sports cars.....in two different classes, of course.
Old 12-21-09, 09:10 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Agreed....the Boxster and Mazda Miata both set standards for being excellent all-around sports cars.....in two different classes, of course.
Yes, I know because I've owned examples of both and put them to the test. I'll admit they were used as fair weather cars and mostly on weekends, etc.
Old 12-21-09, 10:18 PM
LexFather

love the car....