Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Civic Hybrid Owners Sue Honda Over Mileage

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-09, 06:09 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by IS350jet
Hypermiling can consist of literally dozens of highly skilled driving techniques. Hardcore hypermilers try to use all of them, including, not coasting, but actually turning the engine off while slowing, filling tires to 60+ lbs, running synthetic oil, drafting, painfully slow acceleration, 50 MPH on the highway, no a/c, windows rolled up....There are many, many more techniques. Using just a couple of very basic hypermiling techniques, I was able to get 36 mpg out of my V6 Accord.

yep, I'm a mild hypermiler.....my Prius' tires are at 44psi [and the tires still wear fine]...just changed my oil to Castrol Edge synthetic...I'm in the high 50's MPG wise (58.6 over 2 tanks of gas to date).

I don't dog the car - but I'd like to see the difference if I did.
Old 12-18-09, 11:36 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Not only that, but Canadian models may (?) get different mileage than U.S. ones due to different engines, gasoline blends, and emission regulations. The Canadian weather, on the average, is colder, too, which cuts into gas mileage.....though, where you live in Vancouver, it is usually milder than much of the rest of Canada because of the nearby Pacific.
Nah..... it's just our testing methods are different . Oh and we have lower speed limits (110km/h is usually only in the middle of nowhere or outside major city limits)

Hypermiling can consist of literally dozens of highly skilled driving techniques. Hardcore hypermilers try to use all of them, including, not coasting, but actually turning the engine off while slowing, filling tires to 60+ lbs, running synthetic oil, drafting, painfully slow acceleration, 50 MPH on the highway, no a/c, windows rolled up....There are many, many more techniques. Using just a couple of very basic hypermiling techniques, I was able to get 36 mpg out of my V6 Accord.
But you can achieve pretty good mileage without having to resort to the extremes (unless you really really want that "high score").

I managed to grab a 60mpg tank on our '05 Prius but my tires were only at 38/36 psi on dino oil and including a climb up a mountain (who the hell decided to put a damn school on top of a hill that no bus can get up when it snows?!?!). Yes, I can reclaim some of it on the way down but it's never a full recovery.

But yes, 36mpg out of a V6 Accord is impressive! Was that just a one-time experiment or was that over a tank?
Old 12-19-09, 05:00 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^^ One time experiment. It's fun to try but it gets a bit tiresome. It's *all* you think about while driving. I couldn't continue, and keep my sanity.
Old 12-19-09, 09:05 AM
LexFather

To be honest I get a grin when I've tried to "hypermile" and seen the increase in MPG

Old 12-19-09, 02:26 PM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

^^ One time experiment. It's fun to try but it gets a bit tiresome. It's *all* you think about while driving. I couldn't continue, and keep my sanity.
Yup, that's so true. When implementing hypermiling techniques, your mind is so focused on it that you can't really enjoy anything else about driving. I tried mild techniques when I first got the Yaris and after a while, I just chose to drive normally, although still conservatively.

I can't understand people who will sweat in a hot car so that they save 2 MPG by keeping the AC off. Or shut the engine off at every light or even while coasting to a stop. I find that ridiculous and it just puts a lot of wear on your car. In the end, repairs may be more than what you save in gas.