Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Daytona Prototype Ganassi team moves from Lexus to possibly BMW power...

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 01:33 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts
Default Daytona Prototype Ganassi team moves from Lexus to possibly BMW power...

Ganassi Grand-Am squad evaluates BMW engine

After skipping Grand-Am's annual December test at Daytona International Speedway for several years, TELMEX Chip Ganassi Racing with Felix Sabates was on hand at DIS Tuesday to evaluate a new BMW engine. The team, which had a three-year winning streak in the Rolex 24 snapped this past January when David Donohue edged Juan Pablo Montoya's No. 01 Lexus Riley by 0.167sec, was left looking for a new engine supplier when Lexus withdrew from the Daytona Prototype class.

"Typically, we don't do this test, but there's been a lot of work getting the new powerplant fitted in the car, and we're getting a jump on things,” said lead driver Scott Pruett. “When you make changes, you want to be ready. When you come here in January, you don't get a lot of time because you're running all of your drivers through the cars, getting them acclimated, and then it's on to the race. We haven't had any hiccups yet – everything has gone real smooth – but we've got a lot to learn. The center of gravity and other things are different from what we're used to, so we're out of our window right now. But we'll get there and we'll be good for the race."

Pruett said the team plans to announce its driver lineup and choice of engine at the Jan. 8-10 Roar Before the Rolex 24.

"There are still a few things up in the air, so we'll wait and see," Pruett said.

Credit: racer.com
http://www.racer.com/ganassi-grand-a...rticle/159342/

Last edited by flipside909; 12-09-09 at 01:39 PM.
Old 12-09-09, 01:38 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I'm actually bummed to see this.

Before:

Photo credit: Zimbio

After:

Photo credit: Grand Am
Old 12-09-09, 02:22 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sooooooo... where to now? ALMS?
Old 12-09-09, 03:09 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Definitely sad, but I wonder if this has to do with the overall retraction Lexus and Toyota motorsports is facing in recent years, exacerbated by the financial crisis. Still, with the demise of Team Lexus in the US, the sale of the 2IS race cars, a shift in US sports emphasis to Toyota teams, the withdrawal of Toyota F1, it is very sparse at this point. At least Lexus still has the Japan SuperGT Lexus teams for GT300 and GT500, and also they do have their Team Gazoo Racing with the IS-F and LFA in the VLN series...
Old 12-10-09, 10:15 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

I feel it does. Toyota's philosophy is about Kaizen (continous improvement) and eliminating muda (waste). Toyota is exercising their ways to keep the company viable not just for the short term, but for the long run. I'm sure there were a few handful that want the Toyota/Lexus motorsports program to live, but when it comes down to it, it's not cheap. Although motorsports is what draws most us enthusiasts to the brand (myself included) it has a small audience. Motorsports is an expensive venture for any company especially in these times of economic hardship imho.
Old 12-10-09, 10:23 PM
LexFather

I would much prefer see Lexus in the 24 hrs of Le Mans, or ALMS.

Like Ryan, I am bummed to see them go.

To me, it is like Lexus/Toyota doesn't even participate. There is no hype and the general public has NO IDEA of their motorsports involvement. From F-sport parts to this, people simply have no idea. When I mean people, I mean even most Lexus owners!

They must do a better job of showing the connection. I hope the LFA is a sign of things to come.

Old 12-10-09, 10:39 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I would much prefer see Lexus in the 24 hrs of Le Mans, or ALMS.

Like Ryan, I am bummed to see them go.

To me, it is like Lexus/Toyota doesn't even participate. There is no hype and the general public has NO IDEA of their motorsports involvement. From F-sport parts to this, people simply have no idea. When I mean people, I mean even most Lexus owners!

They must do a better job of showing the connection. I hope the LFA is a sign of things to come.
Exactly. "F", "F-Sport" and just the sport term in general has become more prominent in Lexus for the USA. SEMA 2007 and the launch of ISF and F Sport are key to what is to come in the future. The ball is rolling and the momentum has just started. Just because Lexus is not in motorsports at this time does not mean the end of it all. That's just the beginning of what Lexus has in store. What other luxury manufacturer participates in SEMA solely on their own? Not BMW, MBZ, Cadillac or etc.