Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

LF-Ch news: RWD, US, India

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 08:12 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default LF-Ch news: RWD, US, India

LF-Ch hybrid concept suits U.S., Lexus boss says

KATHY JACKSON
AUTOMOTIVE NEWS
DECEMBER 2, 2009 - 3:24 PM ET

LOS ANGELES -- Lexus division General Manager Mark Templin said today that he thinks the LF-Ch hybrid concept should be turned into a production vehicle and sold in the United States.

The rear-drive, five-door hatchback debuted at the Frankfurt motor show in September. If approved for production, the compact car would compete with such premium models as the BMW 1 series and Audi A3.

Lexus said the concept is a response to the growing demand -- particularly from young urbanites -- for cars that are smaller and more fuel-efficient.

"We're showing it in North America to see if it can compete," Templin said. "I feel good about it. We'll survey people to see how they feel about it. I would love to see this car in the U.S."

Templin did not say when Lexus would decide, but he said the brand would be the first with a dedicated hybrid in the compact-luxury segment.

"I think it would make a great youth play for Lexus," he said. "It would bring new customers to Lexus."

The LF-Ch concept was designed by Calty Design Research Inc., Toyota's North American-based research and design center in Newport Beach, Calif.

You can reach Kathy Jackson at kjackson@crain.com.

Toyota Shelves Lexus for India
Published Dec 7, 2009

MUMBAI, India — Toyota has shelved plans to introduce the Lexus brand in India because the company is concentrating on its upcoming small-car project and has its hands full.

Importing Lexus cars into India, shipped directly from Japan, is relatively easy for the company. But launching and distributing Toyota's premium brand in India will require a completely new and high-quality sales network, which is a daunting task.

The Lexus launch plan may be revived after the so-called Entry Family Car is introduced next year.

Inside Line says: This news no doubt will come as a disappointment to the small but influential group of Lexus fans in India, who have been waiting eagerly for these ultra-refined luxury vehicles. — Hormazd Sorabjee, Correspondent

Last edited by (Cj); 12-07-09 at 08:15 AM.
Old 12-07-09, 08:19 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought the LF-Ch concept was a FWD concept?
Old 12-07-09, 08:21 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That sounds great.

Any confirmation rather than Mr. Templin thinking it should be produced?
Old 12-07-09, 08:27 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I thought the LF-Ch concept was a FWD concept?
me too... btw, Calty designs some great cars... Venza, Sienna and now LF-Ch...
Old 12-07-09, 08:45 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

if you ask me, i still can't understand the concept of a compact luxury car?!
Old 12-07-09, 09:06 AM
JessePS

I hope the LF-Ch if it does come to Canada its AWD or FWD
Old 12-07-09, 10:11 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by rominl
European sales.
And if not for European sales for people like me who like wagons and hatches.
Old 12-07-09, 10:45 AM
Initial B
Lead Lap

Some people don't like big cars, or live in a city where space is tight. Why should this preclude a nice interior?
Old 12-07-09, 10:51 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

you live in a big city, drive on mountain roads, parallel park your car on tiny street, and mostly drive by yourself? You have money to drive Lexus IS?

Most of cars sold in Europe are the size of Golf and Yaris hatchback. Passat market is actually shrinking.
Old 12-07-09, 11:34 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Is the Ch really rwd?

Lexus can't be that awesome
Old 12-07-09, 11:46 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

European sales.
And if not for European sales for people like me who like wagons and hatches.
Originally Posted by replica
Some people don't like big cars, or live in a city where space is tight. Why should this preclude a nice interior?
Originally Posted by spwolf
you live in a big city, drive on mountain roads, parallel park your car on tiny street, and mostly drive by yourself? You have money to drive Lexus IS?

Most of cars sold in Europe are the size of Golf and Yaris hatchback. Passat market is actually shrinking.
europe, yes, but did you guys read that the car will be sold in the US? i don't see anything saying it will be sold in europe

to me, in the US market, it cheapens the brand. mb has a class and such in europe, but not in the US, you have to ask why. every market is different. to me luxury car has to carry exclusivity in it. here in the US, at least from what i see with bmw 1, the lf-ch, is luxury brands trying to go more mainstream. that doesn't sound right to me

if money is an issue, then one shouldn't even consider "luxury car" to begin with
Old 12-07-09, 12:01 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by MR_F1
Is the Ch really rwd?
Maybe yes maybe no? IF this article is right and the LF-Ch is RWD, that would be really cool. But the price would probably be up with the IS (considering this thing has a hybrid drivetrain also). At that point Lexus would have to determine if people in the US are gonna want to spend big bucks on a small hatchback in.

On the other hand if this thing is FWD, cost wouldn't really be an issue and this thing would probably be priced at about the same as the A3 ($27K). I'm thinking it'll have optional AWD whether FWD or RWD.
Old 12-07-09, 12:02 PM
LexFather

Surely RWD was a typo

europe, yes, but did you guys read that the car will be sold in the US? i don't see anything saying it will be sold in europe

to me, in the US market, it cheapens the brand. mb has a class and such in europe, but not in the US, you have to ask why. every market is different. to me luxury car has to carry exclusivity in it. here in the US, at least from what i see with bmw 1, the lf-ch, is luxury brands trying to go more mainstream. that doesn't sound right to me

if money is an issue, then one shouldn't even consider "luxury car" to begin with
We have debated that for years...that small hatches hurt the brand. Clearly in Europe you need it or you are dead. In America, its not needed at all.

To me though, the car being a "hybrid" will make it stand out to people. If it gets really good MPG, well why not?

Last edited by LexFather; 12-07-09 at 12:12 PM.

Old 12-07-09, 12:03 PM
Koma

I beg to differ. I'm a 23 year old recent college grad making a fairly good living and I can't realistically afford to purchase a luxury car because I have loans out on a new condo, college loans and car loan (08 Scion tC). Had I shifted my thoughts on buying a condo I would've (could've) bought something in the 40-45k range and if I did I would've liked to have a luxury hatch/coupe. However, nothing existed in the price range I wanted, so I bought a Scion tC because of it's low cost and fairly good standard options (alcantara interior, power windows, locks, mirrors, panoramic roof, iPod connectivity and 6 speaker + sub sound system). I definitely think there's a market for an entry level hatch like the LF-Ch, however it might be small. I definitely don't think it dilutes the brand either if it's over 30k to start.

I don't have a family so I don't need a large back seat (the occasional rear seat passengers would be fine just not hauling them all the time). However I like hatch back storage/versatility.

Last edited by Koma; 12-07-09 at 12:06 PM.
Old 12-07-09, 12:13 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I beg to differ. I'm a 23 year old recent college grad making a fairly good living and I can't realistically afford to purchase a luxury car because I have loans out on a new condo, college loans and car loan (08 Scion tC). Had I shifted my thoughts on buying a condo I would've (could've) bought something in the 40-45k range and if I did I would've liked to have a luxury hatch/coupe. However, nothing existed in the price range I wanted, so I bought a Scion tC because of it's low cost and fairly good standard options (alcantara interior, power windows, locks, mirrors, panoramic roof, iPod connectivity and 6 speaker + sub sound system). I definitely think there's a market for an entry level hatch like the LF-Ch, however it might be small. I definitely don't think it dilutes the brand either if it's over 30k to start.

I don't have a family so I don't need a large back seat (the occasional rear seat passengers would be fine just not hauling them all the time). However I like hatch back storage/versatility.
you pretty much said it yourself, if things are that tight, then "luxury" shouldn't be in the picture as well.

to me luxury carries a "premium" with it, to some people that's something that doesn't make sense (why pay extra for a "car"). under a certain price point, in my eyes, cars become a practical transportation tool. a luxury car will need to be a step up from normal cars and a gap is "preferred" if i have to put it that way.

out of college, i drove a camry, then tls. i wanted luxury car, but i didn't pursue one, coz' i just wasn't ready to pay the admission ticket for luxury. when things are better, than i jumped on lexus

well that's just how i see it, personally i can't seem to appreciate the idea of luxury brands coming out with all kinds of compacts. but if it's the trend, then let it be. i already have trouble setting apart the HS with corolla (i really hate to say this but i have to admit), i think it would be worse if i have to question if it's the lf-ch or scion

Quick Reply: LF-Ch news: RWD, US, India