Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

GSF on hold ( again ) , but the 4GS is in the mail

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-09, 06:06 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

I don't think a GS-F would sell well.The GS has low unit sales.
Old 12-07-09, 06:26 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX

We didn't see any 3GS spy mules at all....as a matter of fact the first time we saw the 3GS were shots at "the ring" taken by Lexus. Of course you knew/forgot that.

Lexus has always been really good at keeping cars out of spies eyes until the car debuts.

No one is tired of waiting and you are making up more hyperbole. The car is on the same cycle like the 5/E class. Were you COMPLAINING about them? No, b/c they are German. So b/c there are no spy mules seen, Lexus is not serious about the class?
No, Lexus is not serious about the class. If you truly believe that they do, then you have your head in the sand.
What did we get with the 3GS? A ho-hum car that had no buzz around it. Lexus needs to create a buzz, get some feedback from current owners & past owners as to what they would like to see in upcoming products. Does Lexus even do that ?? Insert your answer here _________

You mention the 5 & the E class. People got a glimse of both cars through the manufacturers & the media alike. In the case of BMW, they've had/have many teaser vids of their upcoming products on their dedicated website BMW TV http://bmw.tv/com/ to create a buzz & to get product feedback.

Lexus doesn't do this which is a shame imo. What they do instead? Keep everything closed doors, screw potential buyers/Lexus enthusiasts & just brings forth the product. If you admire the Lexus way of doing business then kudos to you. I don't like it as I am kept in the dark as to what is coming down the pike.
Old 12-07-09, 06:29 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by Joeb427
I don't think a GS-F would sell well.The GS has low unit sales.
It does seem like job 1 will be to get GS sales on the increase first, and then bring out a GS-F
Old 12-07-09, 06:32 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We didn't see any 3GS spy mules at all....as a matter of fact the first time we saw the 3GS were shots at "the ring" taken by Lexus weeks before the debut. Of course you knew/forgot that.

Lexus has always been really good at keeping cars out of spies eyes until the car debuts.

No one is tired of waiting and you are making up more hyperbole. The car is on the same cycle like the 5/E class. Were you COMPLAINING about them? No, b/c they are German. So b/c there are no spy mules seen, Lexus is not serious about the class?
^^^ what he said
Old 12-07-09, 06:44 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
No, Lexus is not serious about the class. If you truly believe that they do, then you have your head in the sand.
What did we get with the 3GS? A ho-hum car that had no buzz around it. Lexus needs to create a buzz, get some feedback from current owners & past owners as to what they would like to see in upcoming products. Does Lexus even do that ?? Insert your answer here _________

You mention the 5 & the E class. People got a glimse of both cars through the manufacturers & the media alike. In the case of BMW, they've had/have many teaser vids of their upcoming products on their dedicated website BMW TV http://bmw.tv/com/ to create a buzz & to get product feedback.

Lexus doesn't do this which is a shame imo. What they do instead? Keep everything closed doors, screw potential buyers/Lexus enthusiasts & just brings forth the product. If you admire the Lexus way of doing business then kudos to you. I don't like it as I am kept in the dark as to what is coming down the pike.
You told us you were not going to post here anymore. What happened?

You don't think Lexus is serious about the class. The 3GS was third best selling in class in 05/06/07/08 and will be finally 4th this year (Still higher than most). We all agree it isn't some homerun.

Now you wonder if Lexus gets feedback b/c you don't know what you are talking about again. We have examples since day one of the COMPANY ASKING CUSTOMERS FOR FEEDBACK. Your Lexus hate clouds your posting again.

The Germans have THEIR METHODS. The 5/E class are the big gorillas in the class. The GS will probably NEVER reach the sales/stature of those cars. It is what it is.

The Lexus method of keeping things quiet has WORKED for them. I also would think there are more spy photographers looking for the 5/E MORE than the GS as those two cars are deemed more important.

Look why post? You think the LFA sucks and is stupid. The GS "has no buzz". Lexus is for "old people". The IS-F is for "boy racers". We have all read your thoughts here over and over, you have been called out over and over, why post?

Old 12-07-09, 07:00 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

You told us you were not going to post here anymore. What happened?

You don't think Lexus is serious about the class. The 3GS was third best selling in class in 05/06/07/08 and will be finally 4th this year (Still higher than most). We all agree it isn't some homerun.

Now you wonder if Lexus gets feedback b/c you don't know what you are talking about again. We have examples since day one of the COMPANY ASKING CUSTOMERS FOR FEEDBACK. Your Lexus hate clouds your posting again.

The Germans have THEIR METHODS. The 5/E class are the big gorillas in the class. The GS will probably NEVER reach the sales/stature of those cars. It is what it is.

The Lexus method of keeping things quiet has WORKED for them. I also would think there are more spy photographers looking for the 5/E MORE than the GS as those two cars are deemed more important.

Look why post? You think the LFA sucks and is stupid. The GS "has no buzz". Lexus is for "old people". The IS-F is for "boy racers". We have all read your thoughts here over and over, you have been called out over and over, why post?
My Lexus hate? lol. Listen, I've owned Lexus cars (97 ES300 & currently GS400) while you were a teenager riding the bus. I don't need to convince or validate anything to you young man. The "Lexus is for old people" it sucks etc, German fanboy blah blah blah is your own non-sense & creation. Cut it!

Back to the gist of this thread.. I made a point now refute the point which you have yet to do with evidence.
Old 12-07-09, 07:54 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

My Lexus hate? lol. Listen, I've owned Lexus cars (97 ES300 & currently GS400) while you were a teenager riding the bus. I don't need to convince or validate anything to you young man. The "Lexus is for old people" it sucks etc, German fanboy blah blah blah is your own non-sense & creation. Cut it!

Back to the gist of this thread.. I made a point now refute the point which you have yet to do with evidence.
there is no sense to hype product that is not coming soon, because it drops the sales of product that is out there in the market. Only way you can do it is if you are entering new market, like LFA.
Old 12-07-09, 08:01 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Out of all this crap, is there any 4GS content here, because I'm actually interested?......
Old 12-07-09, 08:04 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 112 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Out of all this crap, is there any 4GS content here, because I'm actually interested?......
nope... not real one anyway :P
Old 12-07-09, 08:05 AM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

How many customers for these cars troll the message boards and internet (much less magazines) looking for spy photos and info? These things don't show up in the mass media.
Any buzz are created and major auto shows close to the debut of the car. Period. You are totally off base here.
Old 12-07-09, 09:08 AM
Rock-a-Lex
Lead Lap

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

IMHO the 3rd generation GS is the culprit...it is a wonderful car and has great performance for the money but it wasn't earth-shatteringly faster than the 2nd gen (with the V8). In my opinion the 3GS should have been in the 350-360 hp range at minimum. But I feel that Lexus didn't want this because it may affect IS-F sales. If it would have been in this power range then they WOULDN'T need such a BIG jump in performance to hang with the other guys for the upcoming (?) 4GS. As many mentioned before I think the 4GS (if it ever comes out) needs at least 400hp. I don't feel it needs to have as much as 500hp to compete...it is silly to think Lexus would even entertain upping the power by almost 200hp from 3GS to 4GS...it won't happen. All the 3GS needs is a stock TT setup to the current 3GS motor with perhaps a couple of tweeks here and there to the exhaust and other engine components to move more air. BMW has GOT IT RIGHT. They are coming out with TT engines all over the damn place. They provide GREAT torque, efficiency and support for future customization (i.e. boost controller) WITHOUT adding a TON of weight to squeeze a 5+ Litre engine in there. A TT setup on the current 3GS will make for a sweet 4GS!!! From this it SHOULD have around IS-F power figures but with a different (perhaps better) power curve due to FI; although not as fast as the IS-F due to being heavier and NOT as sporty.

I am talking ONLY about a REGULAR 4GS here!!! NOT a GS-F. If there was to be a GS-F it would HAVE TO HAVE a larger engine simply because the IS-F received the 5.0 L V8 treatment. Lexus would not have a smaller engine in a bigger sedan; BOTH being "F" models. For a regular 4GS, a 3.5L TT would compete nicely along with some better gearing. Just my 2 cents...

Last edited by Rock-a-Lex; 12-07-09 at 09:12 AM.
Old 12-07-09, 09:12 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by spwolf
nope... not real one anyway :P
That's what I thought, speculation of course.
Old 12-07-09, 09:25 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rock-a-Lex
IMHO the 3rd generation GS is the culprit...it is a wonderful car and has great performance for the money but it wasn't earth-shatteringly faster than the 2nd gen (with the V8). In my opinion the 3GS should have been in the 350-360 hp range at minimum. But I feel that Lexus didn't want this because it may affect IS-F sales. If it would have been in this power range then they WOULDN'T need such a BIG jump in performance to hang with the other guys for the upcoming (?) 4GS. As many mentioned before I think the 4GS (if it ever comes out) needs at least 400hp. I don't feel it needs to have as much as 500hp to compete...it is silly to think Lexus would even entertain upping the power by almost 200hp from 3GS to 4GS...it won't happen. All the 3GS needs is a stock TT setup to the current 3GS motor with perhaps a couple of tweeks here and there to the exhaust and other engine components to move more air. BMW has GOT IT RIGHT. They are coming out with TT engines all over the damn place. They provide GREAT torque, efficiency and support for future customization (i.e. boost controller) WITHOUT adding a TON of weight to squeeze a 5+ Litre engine in there. A TT setup on the current 3GS will make for a sweet 4GS!!! From this it SHOULD have around IS-F power figures but with a different (perhaps better) power curve due to FI; although not as fast as the IS-F due to being heavier and NOT as sporty.

I am talking ONLY about a REGULAR 4GS here!!! NOT a GS-F. If there was to be a GS-F it would HAVE TO HAVE a larger engine simply because the IS-F received the 5.0 L V8 treatment. Lexus would not have a smaller engine in a bigger sedan; BOTH being "F" models. For a regular 4GS, a 3.5L TT would compete nicely along with some better gearing. Just my 2 cents...
Actually,BMW's new N55 engine in the '11 5 Series will have a single turbo.
The present N54 TT has had high pressure fuel pump issues that BMW hasn't resolved in 3 years.
BMW doubled the 5/60 to 10/120 warranty on the fuel pump..

Last edited by Joeb427; 12-07-09 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-07-09, 09:40 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

^^^ Same with Infiniti actually.... No one really knew how the new M would look like, until that live broadcast they did a few months ago.
Old 12-07-09, 10:32 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

It's a shame to say, but I'll have to agree with DASHOCKER on this one. It's another way of doing business, but in the end Lexus is screwing its customers by releasing their finished product only, and not giving any teasers whatsoever. Imho, you can do this with a brand new product, but to do this with a new generation of an existing product is just wrong.

I bet there are many people out there that bought an IS350, that would have otherwise waited and bought an IS F had they known about its existence. If I remember correctly, the IS F came out of the blue. I'm fairly certain the GS F will as well.

I mean, it's not a bad way of doing business. No other car manufacturer does this, iirc. It prevents Lexus from shooting itself in the foot with unnecessary hype, like BMW did with the M5, or Lamborghini with the Valentino Balboni edition Gallardo.

Last edited by FisforFast; 12-07-09 at 10:35 AM.

Quick Reply: GSF on hold ( again ) , but the 4GS is in the mail