Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Does Lexus have too many entry level cars?
yes
10.64%
no
53.19%
who cares
36.17%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Does Lexus have TOO many entry level cars

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-10, 10:06 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Exactly, we see a lot of non-issues made into mountains on the internet (usually by people that aren't even buyers of the targeted cars).

The success of Lexus in the US involves more in-depth product marketing than just worrying about number of so-called "entry level cars", whatever that is. Each car in the product line has to be measured on it's own merits.
Yup. I mean Porsche has the Boxster and Cayman and a sub entry level car is coming. I wonder will it be too many entry level cars.

FYI CJ this is in no way directed towards you. This thread asks a good question.

Old 03-04-10, 10:17 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Well I wouldn't go that far
The RX is more like the Mercedes ML class and Audi Q5 than it is like the Acura MDX. The MDX seats 7 and costs less.
Actually the RX costs less than the MDX. The RX starts at $37k while the MDX starts at $43, option for option they are about the same. As for the ML, that starts at $45k and offers hybrid/AMG/Diesel/V8/V6...that puts it in a class that simply is higher than the RX (although the RX does offer a hybrid) it is possible to cross-shop some RX configs with RX but not many. Like I said earlier, people forget the Lexus starts and usually is cheaper than BMW/Audi/Merc

The GX is a fine vehicle that competes well with the Land Rover LR4 which many would probably consider a tier one vehicle.
Yes that would be about right. The GX also goes up against the Merc GL
Old 03-04-10, 10:21 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
BMW has the X1, X3 and 1, 3
Audi A1, A3, A4
Benz A, B, C class
Lexus has CT, IS, ES, HS
Buick-Lacrosse, Lucerne (that is 2 out of their 3 models)
Acura-TSX, TL (that is 2 out of their 3 cars)
To me, the Lexus lineup has always looked like this.

Category 1
Audi A1, A3, A4
Benz C class
Lexus IS
BMW 1, 3
Cadillac CTS

Category 2
Lexus has ES, HS
Buick-Lacrosse, Lucerne (that is 2 out of their 3 models)
Acura-TSX, TL (that is 2 out of their 3 cars)
Toyota Avalon Platinum
Merc A, B
Cadillac DTS

Category 3
Audi A6/A8
Lexus GS/LS/SC
BMW 5/7
Merc E/S/SL etc

Both Category 1 and 2 are entry lexel models but they don't compete with one another nor should they be compared or cross-shopped...also, the category numbers are not rankings

I think we have to wait to see how the Lexus CT holds up against the competition to really know where it should be placed.
Old 03-04-10, 10:22 AM
SecPole14
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I didn't read through this thread, but I don't think Lexus has too many entry-level cars. The problem is, does Lexus have the right KIND of entry level cars?

In my opinion, no. They should have a sport-oriented entry-level model that doesn't rely on hybrid tech. I wish they had a true 1-series or Volvo C30 competitor.

We can only hope for a Lexus-fied version of the upcoming FT-86...
Old 03-04-10, 10:24 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by AdrianXT
I didn't read through this thread, but I don't think Lexus has too many entry-level cars. The problem is, does Lexus have the right KIND of entry level cars?

In my opinion, no. They should have a sport-oriented entry-level model that doesn't rely on hybrid tech. I wish they had a true 1-series or Volvo C30 competitor.

If Lexus gets a version of the FT-86.....oh joy

Old 03-04-10, 10:40 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Well, the IS is the sport oriented entry model. I see what you're saying though. You want a smaller, less expensive sport model. The difference though, is in Lexus case, that area is covered by Toyota (or should be).

Lexus shouldn't dip below the $30K area. BMW doesn't have a "parent" company - it is the parent company. So aside from Mini, a 1-series makes sense for BMW but when we're talking about Lexus, keep the cheaper cars under Toyota.
Old 03-04-10, 10:43 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

FYI CJ this is in no way directed towards you.
Yeah, I started this thread because I wanted to see what other Lexus owners felt because Lexus's entry cars are regularly bished on the internet

Originally Posted by pagemaster
Like I said earlier, people forget the Lexus starts and usually is cheaper than BMW/Audi/Merc
This is true, but that's really a whole 'nother issue. I don't think it's bad that Lexus's are usually a few grand cheaper than the Germans. The prices over at BMW and particularly Mercedes are far too bloated. Anyway for the most part Lexus's are more expensive than Audi's when similarly equipped so Lexus's isn't the cheapest luxury brand out there.

I completely agree.

I think what it comes down to is not the amount of entry level cars, but the type of entry level cars. Instead of having 3 sedans at the same price point it would be cool if they had more diversity at the entry level like BMW and Audi have.

I'm 100% for a Lexus FT-86
Old 03-04-10, 10:49 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Well, the IS is the sport oriented entry model. I see what you're saying though. You want a smaller, less expensive sport model. The difference though, is in Lexus case, that area is covered by Toyota (or should be).

Lexus shouldn't dip below the $30K area. BMW doesn't have a "parent" company - it is the parent company. So aside from Mini, a 1-series makes sense for BMW but when we're talking about Lexus, keep the cheaper cars under Toyota.
Lexus has never gotten credit in the past by the media or most people for not dipping down. They didn't have any 4 cylinder until the IS 220d and no hatches. Instead people still called them fancy Toyotas. Lexus has been a super success story but they will not and cannot please all.

If Lexus is to grow in Europe, China and other markets it has to get in this field. People clearly are willing to pay for small cars that technically might be in Toyota territory but they want the badge, better built etc. People are buying the German sub compacts. The CT is no rebadge.

BMW's 0 series is coming too, FWD, based on the Mini

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...2-ar81417.html

Old 03-04-10, 10:49 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by (Cj)
Yeah, I started this thread because I wanted to see what other Lexus owners felt because Lexus's entry cars are regularly bished on the internet :
I don't think people need to bish about entry level Lexus models as long as they know what category they are putting them in.

Cross-shopping a Toyota Avalon a Lexus ES350 a Buick Lucerne and a perhaps a Cadillac DTS is the right thing to do....bish all you want about the ES and how it does not hold up in this class of vehicles all you want if that holds true... But comparing a ES350 to a Acura TL and then bishing about the ES is stupid.
Old 03-04-10, 10:52 AM
LexFather

I don't think people need to bish about entry level Lexus models as long as they know what category they are putting them in.

Cross-shopping a Toyota Avalon a Lexus ES350 a Buick Lucerne and a perhaps a Cadillac DTS is the right thing to do. But comparing a ES350 to a Acura TL and then bishing about the ES is stupid.
Contrary to popular internet belief the ES and TL have always been cross shopped. Hell the first gen TL looked like an ES down to the frameless windows. Both are large for their class, both are based on less platforms (Camry/Accord) and both are sold for America mainly.

Buick even mentioned the ES and TL in a Lacrosse ad. The TL is sportier and the ES is more luxurious but both are the volume sedans for each brand.

Old 03-04-10, 10:55 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Contrary to popular internet belief the ES and TL have always been cross shopped. Hell the first gen TL looked like an ES down to the frameless windows. Both are large for their class, both are based on less platforms (Camry/Accord) and both are sold for America mainly.

Buick even mentioned the ES and TL in a Lacrosse ad. The TL is sportier and the ES is more luxurious but both are the volume sedans for each brand.
The TL is not the car to cross-shop against the ES. I can't believe how totally wrong people are. Pontiacs were a good car to cross-shop the TL with ....but in all honesty, the TL competes with the GS350/Inifiniti M35/BMW 528....it doesn't do very well but that is the class it should be compared to.
Old 03-04-10, 10:56 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

BMW's 0 series is coming too, FWD, based on the Mini

http://www.topspeed.com/cars/car-new...2-ar81417.html
Wow, that looks really good! Far better looking than the 1-series. The name is a bit silly ("0-series",? lol). Next, they'll announce the negative 1-series,
Old 03-04-10, 10:59 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

The TL is not the car to cross-shop against the ES. I can't believe how totally wrong people are. Pontiacs were a good car to cross-shop the TL with ....but in all honesty, the TL competes with the GS350/Inifiniti M35/BMW 528....it doesn't do very well but that is the class it should be compared to.
That's what I keep saying but some people just don't want to admit it.

The TL's sticker averages $40K. I don't know why people lump it in with the entry class.
Old 03-04-10, 11:01 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by YARIS!
That's what I keep saying but some people just don't want to admit it.

The TL's sticker averages $40K. I don't know why people lump it in with the entry class.
Its border-line entry class....its at the low end of the class it is now..I think the reason why people lump it in with entry class is because it is FWD. All the major players in the $40k-$50k segment are usually RWD
Old 03-04-10, 11:04 AM
-J-P-L-
Lexus Fanatic

Its border-line entry class. I think the reason why people lump it in with entry class is because it is FWD. All the major players in the $40k-$50k segment are usually RWD
Yeah, it is borderline. Thing is, Acura plays its segments differently and their models overlap others' model lines. The TL does come in FWD, but about half of the ones sold, are now AWD ($43K with nav).

Quick Reply: Does Lexus have TOO many entry level cars