Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

BMW ActiveHybrid 7 series cheaper and more powerful than the LS600hL

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 05:57 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Don't like it don't buy it.
I won't.

Nevertheless, gas guzzlers like this affect the price that I pay at the pump, not to mention the air I breathe.
Old 12-03-09, 06:31 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I won't.

Nevertheless, gas guzzlers like this affect the price that I pay at the pump, not to mention the air I breathe.
no they don't, gas guzzlers like this are only 1% of the market, the Camry's, Malibu's, accords and fusion's effect your prices since the V models to be honest aren't that far behind. let the 1% of the market be as wild as possible make the other 99% as efficient as possible.
Old 12-03-09, 09:47 PM
Thermactor
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cheaper, OK.
More powerful, fine. BMW's always been that way.

How about the court of public opinion?

Check out the depreciation schedule on a BMW 7. Compare it to a Lexus LS. It's brutal.
Old 12-04-09, 04:50 AM
LexFather

Grabs popcorn...

I remember German fanbois saying how pointless the LS 600h was...well here is something technically, even more pointless...

So where is the same "kill it with fire" crowd?

Odd.....this car seemingly gets a pass.....

The double standard is ridiculous.

Old 12-04-09, 05:24 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by bad co
no they don't, gas guzzlers like this are only 1% of the market, the Camry's, Malibu's, accords and fusion's effect your prices since the V models to be honest aren't that far behind. let the 1% of the market be as wild as possible make the other 99% as efficient as possible.
I'm sorry, you are incorrect. Gas guzzlers are a huge part of market. The American car companies were making money off of these for years The F 150 has been the number one selling vehicle for as long as I can remember. Now obviously a truck has utility and purpose, however there are a lot of drivers out there who drive F 150s, Suburbans, 7 series, etc. who don't need the power, the oversized vehicle, what have you. Not that I am against free choice in this country, however these vehicles are wasteful and plentiful.
Old 12-04-09, 05:30 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Come on, what is a few thousand dollar difference when you are buying a car that cost over &100000. For that extra few $, I would buy thr Lexus, they have more experience building hybrids.
Old 12-04-09, 06:00 AM
alecksk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Grabs popcorn...

I remember German fanbois saying how pointless the LS 600h was
It still is

here is something technically, even more pointless
But, but BMW says it's the "Ultimate Driving Machine"! How could I not blindly believe what my favorite manufacturer says about it???
Seriously, though, they both are (IMO) a waste of $$$.
Old 12-04-09, 06:20 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Grabs popcorn...

I remember German fanbois saying how pointless the LS 600h was...well here is something technically, even more pointless...

So where is the same "kill it with fire" crowd?

Odd.....this car seemingly gets a pass.....

The double standard is ridiculous.
toyota/lexus should call their cars fullHybrid so people realize there is an difference between Hybrid and glorified start-stop system...
Old 12-06-09, 09:42 PM
bad co
Lexus Champion

I'm sorry, you are incorrect. Gas guzzlers are a huge part of market. The American car companies were making money off of these for years The F 150 has been the number one selling vehicle for as long as I can remember. Now obviously a truck has utility and purpose, however there are a lot of drivers out there who drive F 150s, Suburbans, 7 series, etc. who don't need the power, the oversized vehicle, what have you. Not that I am against free choice in this country, however these vehicles are wasteful and plentiful.
But those cars have a purpose and are also produced to run on alternative fules such as E85 or diesel GM also offers hybrid variants of there big suv's and pickups. Those cars could not manage the weight of the car and passangers with a medium sized V6
Old 12-06-09, 10:41 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by bad co
But those cars have a purpose and are also produced to run on alternative fules such as E85 or diesel GM also offers hybrid variants of there big suv's and pickups. Those cars could not manage the weight of the car and passangers with a medium sized V6
honestly, who fills up their cars with E85? I dont even think there are 2 stations in my city that offter E85.

and the american hybrids are a joke, and mostly for publicity. Its almost impossible to find an escalade hybrid cause they are produced in limited quantities.
Old 12-07-09, 12:49 AM
Dave600hL
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Sounds like it will wipe the floor with LS600h.
And it sounds like Miley Cyrus will run for senate and win...
Originally Posted by Och
Seriously, with cars like that, who cares about fuel economy?
Then why did BMW build a hybrid when they already have a TT?
Old 12-07-09, 06:50 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RXSF
honestly, who fills up their cars with E85? I dont even think there are 2 stations in my city that offter E85.
I agree, E85 is THE worst alternative fuel option out there. I haven't even seen E85 at any pump I've been to. If you're solely relying on E85 as your fuel (of course any flexfuel vehicle can pump either) you are screwed if you need gas. You have to plan your weekly agenda around when you can go to your E85 station to fill up when your tank is near low.

I think BMW has some great fuel saving technologies that Toyota/Lexus should invest into, like the idea of cutting the alternator from the engine when the battery is full. Why sap the engine of power when you don't need to charge your battery? I really like that BMW is using forced induction as well.
Old 12-07-09, 07:58 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I agree, E85 is THE worst alternative fuel option out there. I haven't even seen E85 at any pump I've been to. If you're solely relying on E85 as your fuel (of course any flexfuel vehicle can pump either) you are screwed if you need gas. You have to plan your weekly agenda around when you can go to your E85 station to fill up when your tank is near low.

I think BMW has some great fuel saving technologies that Toyota/Lexus should invest into, like the idea of cutting the alternator from the engine when the battery is full. Why sap the engine of power when you don't need to charge your battery? I really like that BMW is using forced induction as well.
smart alternators are supplier supplied, there are Toyota engines in Europe that have smart altenator tech already... Only reason you dont see a lot of the tech in USA is because of the fact it costs more.
Old 12-07-09, 08:27 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
LS600h is AWD too... 750Li AWD is 14/20/
Exactly. People need to stop comparing apples to oranges. The ActiveHybrid 7 AWD will not reach 20 mpg in combined gas mileage if it improves by only 15% over the 750Li AWD.
Old 12-07-09, 09:11 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

your 10 year old legacy and cat converter is no doubt a giant polluter compared to this 7 series.

Quick Reply: BMW ActiveHybrid 7 series cheaper and more powerful than the LS600hL