Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL. Special Holiday Review: 2010 BMW 550i GT (Gran Tourismo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-09, 01:08 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Happy Holidays, CL. Special Holiday Review: 2010 BMW 550i GT (Gran Tourismo)

Happy Holidays, CL. This Year's Special Holiday Review......the 2010 BMW 550i Gran Turismo (GT)

http://www.bmwusa.com/default.aspx

In a Nutshell: Powerful, classy, and sophisticated; a superb road car, but a number of controls are quirky and too complex.

This year's special End-of-Year review, which I do every December as my holiday present to CL, goes to the new, just-introduced BMW 550i GT (Grand Turismo). I had previously received some CL requests for a 2010 550i review, and one for the 2010 750i. However, rather than do two separate reviews, I decided to combine them, in this case, into one car, because, while the new GT is marketed and sold as a 5-series product, it is actually designed and built on a version of the new 7-series' platform. So, in several ways, the new GT combines elements of both series, although the new, multi-use rear end is unique and different (more on that later), yet it seems to be a product that will be of interest to both potential BMW 5 and 7-series shoppers.

I almost always look forward to BMW reviews. While, for a number of reasons, they are not the cars for me, there is no question that they are pleasant vehicles to drive, combining responsive engines, clutch/transmissions, telepathic-feel power steering, and what is probably the auto industry's state-of-the-art chassis engineering and ride/handling combination. Automaker and dealer advertising often tends to be an insult to people's intelligence (I don't have to tell that to you.......many of you already know that for yourselves), but there is indeed at least some some truth to BMW's slogan of the "Ultimate Driving Machine". To be honest, though, that has to be measured against their down sides as well......spotty reliability, less-than-perfect factory quality control, questionable electronics, dash/shifter controls (including I-Drive) that, for many people (including me), are annoying and difficult to use, and, of course, the controversial styling changes of the Chris Bangle era.

The BMW 5-series goes back quite a number of years. During the Reagan Yuppie era of the mid-late 1980's, it, along with some other higher-line BMW products, was the classic "In" car for the Young Urban Professionals of the emerging and booming high-tech industry. It was as common to see 5-series sedans and coupes in the parking lots of high-tech office buildings as it was to see Ford F-150 and Chevy C/K pickups on ranches and at construction sites. BMW ads took advantage of this.....and ran magazine/TV slots showing higher-income young adults and their cultish devotion to the marque. Later, of course, as BMWs got even more sophisticated in their chassis engineering, they became among the favorites of auto-enthusiast magazines, and often
won magazine auto-comparison articles.

When Chris Bangle, though, entered the picture as BMW's Chief Designer, a number of controversial things started to happen. Styling changes, particularly in the front ends and rear trunk lids, thinner and less-solid sheet metal, worsening factory quality control, unreliable electronics, and, of course, the infamous I-Drive drove away some of the BMW faithful. On the whole, though, sales weren't affected that much, and some other carmakers (such as Lexus with the LS460) actually copied the Chris Bangle trunk-lids. Though some of the BMW faithful left the scene, BMW grabbed up thousands of new customers (yes, and some of you CL members at that), who had little or no previous experience with BMWs, and, of course, were attracted by the accolades BMW got in the auto-magazines. They grabbed up the Chris-Bangle designed BMWs as fast as they could be built. As high-performance "M" versions came onto the scene, of course, they attracted an even more aggreessive-driving crowd.

Which, of course, brings us to the buisness at hand.....the new 5-series GT (Grand Tourismo). For 2010, the traditional 5-series 4-door sedans and 5-door Sport Wagons are offered, in RWD and AWD depending on engine/transmission combination. The new V10-powered M5 arrives in an even more aggressive package than before. And, for those who want greater utility without the classic look of a squarish wagon or hatchback, the GT Grand Tourismo arrives on the scene. As stated above, it is actually done on a 7-series platform, but is marketed as a 5-series. It carries a roofline that is similiar to the much-malinged X6, but in a regular passenger-car package that sits much lower, for better handling. (I asked the dealership, today, whether the X6 was selling well, and they said they couldn't keep them in stock). Hmmmm.......I'm not sure I believe that. The X6 is one of the few BMW's that have not caught on....I've seen very few in the D.C. area on the roads; enough for the fingers of one hand.

But, back to the GT. One body style is offered.....the aforementioned 5 or 6-door hatchback. I say 5 or 6-door because the unique liftgate design can be operated two ways......either as a conventional trunk-lid where the lower part flips up, or as a window lift-gate, where the window/frame panel lifts up for a higher-level access. The rear seats fold a number of ways....but more on that later. One engine is offered, and this is indeed some powerplant; one of BMW's most powerful V8s; a turbocharged, direct-injected 4.4L V8 with 400 HP and 450 ft-lbs. of torque (driving this engine was a real treat....more on that below). All this power comes at a price, though...not only a high, cough-up-the-bucks sticker price, but dismal gas mileage ratings and a Federal
Gas-Guzzler tax on top of that. One transmission is offered.....a newly-developed 8-speed Steptronic Sport-shift automatic that competes with the similiar 8-speeds on some Lexus models (all of the 8-speeds, IMO, are probably overkill...more gears than are needed, especially with the kick-a** torque this engine generates. This new 8-speed is not offered on any other 5-series vehicle....they continue with either 6-speed manual or 6-speed Steptronics. No manual is offered on the new GT (perhaps because of the engine's torque?) A less-expensive version, the 535 GT, is due in the spring of 2010, and will use the 3.0L turbo straight-six....another one of my favorite BMW powerplants.

Right now, GT's (and 550i models in generals) are not in plentiful supply at most D.C.-area dealerships, but a few can be found on the lot for minimal selection.....the best bet, if you want one with a particular color or options, is to order one. I chose a black GT with the Sport Package for the review, as I have been impressed with the Sport Package in other BMWs. It had an slick-looking Ivory-white leather interior (a $1000 option) with black trim. This car, like most BMWs, was a blast to drive, but the usual (for me) annoyances with the electronic shifter, I-Drive, and some of the dash controls were still there.

Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 BMW 550i Grand Turismo (GT)

Base Price: $63,900

Options:

Ivory White Dakota Leather: $1000

Dark Wood Trim: $0 (No Charge)

Cold Weather Package: $950

Sport Package: $4200

20-inch Tires: $1000

Satellite Radio: $350

I-Pod/USB Adapter: $400

Federal Gas Guzzler Tax: $1000 (a classic big-government rip-off)

Destination/Freight: $825

List Price as Reviewed: $73,625

Drivetrain: RWD, Longitudionally-mounted, Turbocharged 4.4L V8, 400 HP @ 5500-6400 RPM, Torque 450 Ft-lbs. @ 1750-4500 RPM,
8-speed Steptronic automatic with manual and Sport-manual shift features; 3.08:1 final-drive ratio.

EPA Mileage Rating: 15 City, 21 Highway

0-60 MPH: 5.4 seconds per BMW

Exterior Color: Jet Black

Interior: Ivory-White Dakota Leather with Dark Wood Trim.

PLUSSES:

Classic muscle-car torque/acceleration.

Typically BMW silky-smooth, sponge-free, effective brakes.

Smooth, quiet 8-speed Steptronic transmission.

Flat cornering.

Smooth, quick, but not ultra-quick steering response.

Excellent ride/handling compromise, as usual for a BMW.

Good chassis stability at speed.

Underhood bracing for added chassis stiffness.

Solid body sheet metal.

Excellent, but not superb, paint job an improvement over other recent BMWs.

Excellent, clear gauges.

Excellent interior fit/finish and trim.

Well-finished cargo area.

Solid interior hardware (except for steering-column stalks).

Silky-smooth, soft seat leather much better than on other recent BMWs.

Good interior head/legroom front and rear.

Large number of options/packages/convienences available.

Many different interior leather/wood colors/patterns available.

No extra charge for metallic paint colors (unusual for a German car).

Standard 4/50 Maintenance Program.

Numerous standard safety-oriented devices.

European-and Performance-Center Delivery plans available.

BMW dealerships, in general, lese aristocratic than in the past.

MINUSES:

Clean-out-your-bank-account sticker price.

Power steering feel not quite as telepathic as other recent BMWs.

8-speed transmission, like in some Lexus models, probably overkill.

Standard 50-series Run-Flat tires expensive to replace.

No manual-transmission version available like some other 5-series models.

No xi AWD version available.

Dull paint colors.

Tight underhood layout.

No body-side mouldings to help prevent parking-lot dings.

Awkward interior rear-door-pull handles.

Unimpressive plastic steering-column stalks.

Somewhat awkward electronic-tab parking brake.

Very poor rear vision.

Outside mirrors too small.

Annoying, quirky electronic transmission shifter.

I-Drive system slightly improved but still difficult/annoying to use.

Dual-action tailgate/cargo area versatile but somewhat quirky to use.

Standard stereo sound OK, but not in the class of a 74K car.

Wind-noise seals could be improved slightly.

Questionable long-term reliability.

4/50 Drivetrain/ Bumper-to-Bumper warranty too short for a premium nameplate.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the 550 GT, the first impression is of a somewhat lower-stature X6. Style-wise, it is clearly a member of the BMW family, although the headlights/front end, despite the traditional BMW twin-kidney grille, has somewhat of a Volvo-ish look to it. The roofline, as indicated, has the same general shape as that of the X6, but a slightly flatter stance, and, of course, the whole vehicle sits much lower to the ground.....in fact, ground clearance for deep snow, speed bumps, or obstacles is not one of this vehicle's strong points. Much has been written and argued, on the Internet and in the auto press, about the X6's so-called (ugly) looks. That, of course, is subjective, and differing in personal opinions.....I, for one, would not necessarily consider it ugly, though it is not the most attractive vehicle I've seen by a long shot. In the manner it is used here, on the 550 GT, I don't consider it ugly either, although, again, it is not one of my favorite styles. The sheet metal, doors, and hood, all have good, solid sheet metal, but the doors don't close with a particularly solid "Thunk" sound, despite the generally good construction. The twin outside mirrors are done in good solid heavy-plastic housings and have integrated turn-signals, but, IMO, are too small and poorly-shaped. The paint job, a solid-color jet-black on my test car, is very well done....noticeably better than some other recent BMWs I've looked at, which have not been very impressive in the paint department. Another plus.....the 5-series, for some reason, doesn't charge extra for metallic/pearl paint jobs like many other German (and European) vehicles do. Perhaps (?) the word has gotten out that many Americans are irritated with that practice. Now.....if they'll just do something about the excessively dull paint color choice. This is suppposed to be a luxury-sport sedan (or rather, a luxury-sport hatchback), NOT a hearse. The rear roofline, rear windows, and D-pillars severely limit vision out the back end.....more on this below. And, in what seems to be an increasing trend for automakers, there are no body-side mouldings to help prevent parking-lot dings.

UNDERHOOD:

Raise the solid hood, and nice gas stuts hold it up for you, and, of course, there is a nice insulation pad underneath for noise control. The basic underhood layout is not quite the worst I've seen, but, IMO, definitely not one of the car's better points. The big 4.4L turbo V8 (the same engine used in the 7-series), longitudionally-mounted, fits in very tightly, and has a large plastic cover that blocks many (but not all) of the upper-engine components. Other, smaller underhood components are also hidden by smaller plastic covers. The battery, like on a number of other BMWs, is hidden back in the trunk, under the floor. Definitely not a car for DIY'ers. I did not see an oil dipstick....apparantly, like on some other BMWs, you trust your engine's lifeblood to computer sensors. The filler caps and reservoirs, however, are reasonably easy to reach, though, again, not all of them are fully exposed. On the plus side, there are two thick, angular, underhood chassis-struts cross-bolted to the unibody to add strength and stability, which is very important in the front end considering the VERY high speeds this vehicle is capable of on the German Autobahns and no-speed-limit roads.

INTERIOR:

The interior decor is quite impressive, especially in the optional Ivory-white Dakota leather with black trim on my test car. This leather, smooth, soft, even, and silky, is MUCH better than I have seen on many recent BMWs, despite the fact that it uses the same "Dakota" name. Sorry, guys, I have to be honest.......IMO, it even beats the leather I've seen on some newer Lexus and Jaguar models. And it absolutely destroys the rough, vinyl-like synthetic stuff that some other upmarket German vehicles have. It may lack the wear durability of the vinyl M-B Tex that Mercedes uses (only time will tell on that), but, man, does it feel nice. My test car had the Dark-browish-gray wood trim on the dash and doors.....other wood colors are also available. The comfortable front-bucket seats had power-adjustments for EVERYTHING, even the headrests......very nice, considering that some cars nowadays have fixed, forward-tilt readrests that sometimes press into your neck/shoulders and you can't do much about it. What's more, for long legs, a power-adjustable thigh-cushion support slides forward at the push of a button. My two big legs, however, could have used more, even at its max length. Headroom, even under the long, full-length moonroof housing, is fine for taller people, both front and rear, as is legroom. Trim quality and fit/finish is well-above average, and easily the best on any newer BMW I've seen....approaching that of some Audis. Most of the interior hardware is solid, well-fitted, and well-done. The sun visors and headliner are well-done with nice-feeling materials. The twin-circular primary gauges, typically BMW, are clear and easy to read. The steering wheel is the usual BMW 3-spoke, with NICE-feeling leather-wrapping on it.....no hard, rough-feel stitches like on some leather-wrapped wheels. The *****/switches generally have a good, solid feel to them.

But the interior, while nice-looking, has, IMO, some annoying features as well. First among them is (you guessed it)......the I-Drive system. Now, before you BMW fans start tossing stones at me, I KNOW that some of you like the I-Drive system (and Audi's similiar MMI system), and have no problems with it. Fine. I respect your opinons. But I have never liked it, and have always found it annoying, distracting, and downright difficult to use (so have a number of well-respected auto magazines). BMW, every time they redesign one of their newer vehicles, says that the I-Drive is "improved" and "easier to use". Not in my book. I've yet to see one I liked, even on this brand-new BMW design, and one I could use intuitively without problems. In most cases, I set things up on it before I take off and try to use it as little as possible while the car is moving (sometimes voice commands help, but not all of them have that capability).

I also didn't like the complex, flimsy-plastic, button-laden transmission-shifter that sticks up out of the console, and found it rather difficult to use intuitively without practice.....I also discuss that a little more below. The door-pulls attached to to the two inner rear-door panels have nice brushed-metal trim on them but, being mounted in the forward part of the panels, are awkward to reach, grasp and pull....smaller children might have a problem with that. The twin-stalks on the steering wheel column don't have very solid plastic on them, and the flat-black finish on them looks cheap (that is noticeable on a number of German-designed vehicles, which seem to get them from the same supplier). The center-dash buttons/*****/controls for the climate-control and stereo (partly integrated into the I-Drive) are a mixed bag......some well-marked and easy to use, others more difficult. And, last, the standard stereo's sound quality in my test car (an optional stereo upgrade is available), though not bad, was not up to that expected in a 70K-plus vehicle, and well below that of Lexus Mark Levinson units. Still, as this was such a superb road/highway car, I put on Deep Purple, a hard-rock group from the early 70's I liked, and one of their classic tunes....."Highway Star".

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

The hatchback/cargo area of this vehicle, of course, is unique, being one of its most distinctive features. The hatchback lid is split two ways. You can use the lower part of it as a conventional pull-up trunk lid, or the upper part as a conventional pull-up hatch lid (see the attached image above). The general idea is not necessarily new....similiar devices in back have been offered before on conventionally-styled SUVs such as the Ford Explorer, but this, to my knowledge, is the first use of it on a regular hatchback passenger car. The lower trunk-lid part of it was no problem to figure out, but the upper part of it took some hunting by both me and the salespeople (and a quick trip to the Owners' Manual) to unlatch. Should be no problem, though, once you set it up and are used to it. Inside, the cargo area seems well-finished, though not quite as nicely as that of the the Cadillac SRX I reviewed a couple of weeks ago. It also lacked the SRX's chrome/metal tie-down loops. But the black carpet on the floor and walls was a reasonably nice, plush grade, if a little on the thin side. There is no spare tire under the floor because of the standard run-flat tires, which are good, at a moderate speed, for 50 miles with no air at all (if 50 miles is not long enough, say, out in an isolated area, BMW's standard Roadside Assistance runs the whole length of the warranty). The split-rear seats, the flexible panels behind them, and the center seat pass-through have many different ways of folding (I won't go into detail here), have SUV/minivan-style release-levers, and can be configured any number of ways. The roofline, however, has a slight tilt-down at the rear that slightly impedes cargo space (not that much), but the size of the regular trunk-lid opening, under it, is rather small....you may need the window flip-up part of it for larger or bulkier items. The design of the rear window and D-Pillars also makes for very poor vision out the rear.....if you test-drive this car, pay particular attention to that to make sure it is acceptable to you (a back-up camera comes with the NAV system, and the proximity beepers are built into the rear bumper).

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the big turbo V8 with an electronic key fob in the vicinity, and, with foot on the brake pedal, press the engine-start button. The big V8 comes to life with a smooth, quiet, but not Lexus-quiet idle. Folks, this is an ENGINE. It is easily one of BMW's strongest non-M V8 powerplants, and runs pretty close to some of the M engines as well. Hit the pedal, and there's torque up the wazoo just under your right foot......BMW quotes a 5.4-second 0-60 time, which is faster than many classic muscle-cars. This is even more remarkable considering the car's 4900 lb.-plus curb weight (almost two and a half tons). The max-torque figure of 450 ft-lbs, at a low 1750 RPM, runs pretty close to that of the last-generation Mercedes E63 AMG I reviewed last year (469 ft-lbs, at a higher RPM), which gives you an idea of how much grunt this powerplant has. With almost no turbo lag, hammer the throttle in almost any gear and you get a BIG shove in the back as the car surges ahead almost as fast as Obama's spending. Exhaust noise, under acceleration, for a high-performance engine like this, is remarkably low; almost to Lexus levels.....seems like the engineers wanted to keep the noise level civil, even under those conditions. Of course, performance like this, in a 5000-lb car, doesn't come free. It takes gas.....lots of gas. I mentioned the lousy EPA MPG figures above, and the Federal Gas-Guzzler tax. But, of course, most of the people who buy this 70K-plus car can probably afford to run it.

The smooth, quiet 8-speed Steptronic transmission is also quite impressive, although, like I mentioned above, I personally don't see a need for all 8 gears, especially with this kind of torque. The added gears probably don't do much for gas mileage, as noted by the EPA figures, and just add complexity (and maybe weight) to the transmission, though, of course, this transmission is designed with state-of-the art materials for weight control. But, anyhow, the transmission is slick, refined, and quiet, even under the manual Sport-shift and AutoSport modes. Two things, however, I didn't like. First, the flimsy-plastic, complex, quirky, and annoying electronic shifter on the console (I also dislike them in other BMWs). Second, the fact that BMW and Mazda auto-manual sport-shifters work opposite those in most cars.....you bump them forward to downshift and back to upshift, which is the reverse from most cars. That's fine, if you are used to it (as many BMW fans probably are), but, for many new drivers, until they get used to it, it could mean downshifting when you intend to upshift......which, at high RPM's, could red-line the engine. The computer, of course, won't allow a shift that could damage or over-rev the engine, but downshifting when you mean to upshift sometimes gives the powertrain a big jolt if it doesn't have an RPM-matching feature (many newer transmissions do).

Now we get to another good part, as with most BMWs.....the excellent chassis. The usual BMW superb combination of ride-handling is there, even with the stiffer-than-average run-flat tires, which come on all 550 GTs, even with the Sport Package as on my test car. Ride comfort with the 50-series run-flat tires is smooth, especially on good road surfaces, with just a hint of firmness. Bumps are felt, but not abruptly. Steering response is fairly quick, but not as quick as on some other BMW's I've tried. The power-steering feel, in the GT, seems to have lost a slight amount of the typical BMW firmness/tactile-feel, but, nevertheless, was still smooth and precise. Cornering, of course, was generally flat, with little or no body lean. Being on public roads most of
the time, I didn't take the handling to its limits, but, within the parameters of how I tested it, it seemed to be almost neutral with a slight amount of understeer....again, typical BMW. The run-flat tires produced some audible (but minor) road noise on coarse asphalt/concrete, but were otherwise quiet. Wind noise was OK, but was not Lexus-quiet.....you won't confuse it with an LS460. Brakes were, again, typical BMW (and German sport-sedan).....meaning superb. The pedal had quick instaneous response with virtually no sponginess; the response was smooth and linear, and the brake pedal was well-located with no tendency for my big circus-clown size-15 shoes to get hung up on the bottom of edge of the brake pedal while shifting from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

Well, one again, BMW comes up with an "Ultimate Driving Machine". The superb powerplant, even with the car's 5000-lb weight, can keep up wth classic muscle-cars. The usual superb chassis engineering is also there underneath, although a small amount of power-steering feel/response has been lost over previous models. The paint job, interior seat leather, trim, fit/finish....all are noticeable improvements over predecessor models. The hatch-type rear end, with the dual-acion liftgate, adds cargo versatility lacking in the 5-series sedans (and the 5-series Sportwagon is done on the old, smaller 5-series platform, not the larger 7-series like the 550 GT). This car is a real pleasure to drive under most conditions and road surfaces. And BMW dealerships/sales/service personnel, once the bane of car-shoopers with their snobbiness, aloofness, and arrogance (also like those at Mercedes dealerships), have become far more customer-friendly in recent years.

But there is the annoying I-Drive and electronic shifter to deal with. The interior rear door-pulls need a redesign. Underhood access could be a lot better. AWD, currently not available, should be made an option for bad-weather areas.....along with (perhaps) the BMW diesel option for the American market for those who want better fuel mileage.

Then, of course, there is the question of potential reliability. Previous versions of the 5-series, according to Consumer Reports (my most trusted source), varied quite a bit in reliability, depending on engine/transmission/model year, from average to well-below average, so that, of course, does not bode particularly well for the new GT. And the new GT, of course, has the added complexity and stress of a turbo system not found in the other 5-series cars. BMW's in general, are not known for reliable electronics, and often have quality-control goofs......I found a couple of big ones in the M3 I reviewed last year, but this new GT, right off the lot, seemed to be well-assembled.

But, for those who have 70-75K burning a whole in their pocket (or bank account), and you want a nice, versatile luxury-grade hatchback that is also a superb highway car, go give the new 550 GT a look. Although it is a lot of money to spend, you could do a lot worse.

Again, Happy Holidays, CL.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-09 at 03:21 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 01:25 PM
LexFather

Very nice review Mike, thanks. Funny MPLexus sent me a pic today of one on the road...and its horrid to look at, really a bigger, uglier (can't believe thats possible) Prius. When you get past the styling, the interior seems top notch, the drive seems great and the added cargo capacity can come in handy.

Then you get to the price. Huh?

Clearly this is a niche car, very very small niche. However do people really want a low MPG, high HP, hatchback looking thing with a very nice interior and BMW dynamics?

I guess we shall see the sales results!

Old 12-03-09, 01:41 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice review. (of an ugly, overpriced, overweight, gas-sucking, overly complicated, non-VW "thing"-like wagon)

Certainly the niche car reason will be mentioned when the sales numbers normalize at a very low rate.

btw - I think the whole review posted ok.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all at CL!
Old 12-03-09, 01:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Nice review. (of an ugly, overpriced, overweight, gas-sucking, overly complicated, non-VW "thing"-like wagon)

Certainly the niche car reason will be mentioned when the sales numbers normalize at a very low rate.

btw - I think the whole review posted ok.

HAPPY HOLIDAYS to all at CL!
Thanks.

Yes, the review seems to be OK now.....but I had to rework the posting twice, for some reason.

Granted, the car's heavy, thirsty, and its body style is not the most handsome, but it has a kick-a** engine, drivetrain, interior, and chassis. It is just superb on the road.
Old 12-03-09, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very nice review Mike, thanks. Funny MPLexus sent me a pic today of one on the road...and its horrid to look at, really a bigger, uglier (can't believe thats possible) Prius. When you get past the styling, the interior seems top notch, the drive seems great and the added cargo capacity can come in handy.

Then you get to the price. Huh?

Clearly this is a niche car, very very small niche. However do people really want a low MPG, high HP, hatchback looking thing with a very nice interior and BMW dynamics?

I guess we shall see the sales results!
Thanks.

That 73K, though, buys some noticeably higher-quality materials than in some other recent BMWs, particularly inside.
Old 12-03-09, 01:55 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm surprised!

Mike, I have a lot of prejudices with this car, and mostly based on looks and price alone.

But with your review, I am really eager to test-drive one.

In your opinion, is it worth the premium over a 5-Series sportwagon? (Base prices, the GT is $8k more than the Sportwagon; but they differ with V6 vs V8 powertrains)
Old 12-03-09, 02:09 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I'm surprised!

Mike, I have a lot of prejudices with this car, and mostly based on looks and price alone.
A great road car, but the I-Drive, electronic shifter, and some of the dash controls are irritating.

But with your review, I am really eager to test-drive one.
You'll find it superb on the highway, but a slight amount of the BMW steering feel/response is gone. Still, a great chassis. And this engine hauls a**.

But check out the rear vision behind you....it is awful. That might turn some people off.

In your opinion, is it worth the premium over a 5-Series sportwagon? (Base prices, the GT is $8k more than the Sportwagon; but they differ with V6 vs V8 powertrains)
I haven't driven a 5-series sportwagon lately, but the last 550i I reviewed listed well up in the 60's....not far from 70K, so the price difference probably isn't that great. Unlike the 550 Sportwagon, though, the 550 GT is done on the larger 7-series platform, so, to some extent, you get more car, particularly in the engine, for slightly more money. The fit/finish level and interior quality on the GT also exceeds the regular 5-series by a noticeable amount.

So, if you want a nicer overall car, then, yes, it probably is worth the price difference, but that big engine is also thirsty, so it's not just a matter of buying it. It's also a matter of feeding that big engine, and what it will cost down the road, and, of course, possible higher insurance premiums on a more powerful car. Last, there's no AWD option with the 550 GT, a consideration in bad-weather areas.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-09 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 04:46 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thx Mike, very interested in this car, have not seen it at the dealership yet.... happy holidays as well!! Stellar review
Old 12-03-09, 05:01 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I saw one at a BMW dealership today (stopped by to grab a cargo net) and I'm interested to play with one as well now. It's not the car for my demographic, but I'm still curious.

I really do think there should be an xi AWD option though, it is a wagon afterall so it should have some wagon abilities asside from storage.
Old 12-03-09, 06:30 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by rdgdawg
Thx Mike, very interested in this car,
You may not get much of a discount on this car, though, like you did on some of the recent deals you negotiated on. Even with a bad economy, this is a brand-new model in short supply....and it runs some serious bucks.

If you test-drive one, pay particular attention to three items I mentioned....the I-Drive, electronic shifter, and the poor rear vision out the back window. All three, IMO, are very annoying. Make sure you can live with them on a daily basis, if you are considering this car for a purchase or lease.

Stellar review

happy holidays as well!!
Thanks, Russ. I put a lot of time and effort into my reviews.....most of all, the special holiday one each December.
Old 12-03-09, 06:38 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
I saw one at a BMW dealership today (stopped by to grab a cargo net) and I'm interested to play with one as well now.
You mean a cargo net for your existing BMW, right? The parts department, I assume, ordered it for you as an accessory?

It's not the car for my demographic.
Because of the high price? Or the lousy gas mileage? Or just too big and bulky a car for you? I have to confess that, for day-to-day driving, it would not be my cup of tea either.

I really do think there should be an xi AWD option though, it is a wagon afterall so it should have some wagon abilities asside from storage.
Except for the X5, BMW doesn't seem to do many AWD models with the larger motors. Even in the 5-series, the xi AWD models have the smaller in-line sixes, not the V8s. The 7-series, to my knowledge, has no AWD models......and the 550 GT, though marketed as a 5-series product, is done on the 7-series platform.

(Oops.....I take part of that back. I checked BMW's website, and they do offer an AWD 7-series)

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-03-09 at 06:44 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 07:56 PM
alecksk
Driver School Candidate

For some reason I knew there's gonna be iDrive involved in some negative way as soon as I saw the thread title and the name of the thread starter

Wind noise ... was not Lexus-quiet.....you won't confuse it with an LS460.
I sure hope it's not as "Lexus-quiet" as my stepfather's LS460 which I had to manually fix with a bunch of silicone glue (see the "LS460 Wind Noise Fix" thread in an appropriate forum section) to bring down the wind noise to a less embarrassing levels

Anyway, thanks for the yet another well-detailed review

Last edited by alecksk; 12-03-09 at 08:18 PM.
Old 12-03-09, 08:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
You mean a cargo net for your existing BMW, right? The parts department, I assume, ordered it for you as an accessory?
Yes

pix to come this weekend (not to thread jack here)
Old 12-03-09, 09:06 PM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Isn't this just a RWD X6?
Old 12-03-09, 10:42 PM
EN_VY
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Exterior is **** ugly imo.. Never thought Id say that about a 5 series.

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays, CL. Special Holiday Review: 2010 BMW 550i GT (Gran Tourismo)