Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Happy Holidays, CL. Special Holiday Review: 2010 BMW 550i GT (Gran Tourismo)

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-09, 11:24 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review, as I was interested in this vehicle. I have come to think that the 5 Series GT is pointless and it sure is ugly. I just don't think that it is needed. BMW should have put their money into an A5 type vehicle. And I'd still like to see a 635i, but that car is so expensive as it is.
Old 12-05-09, 01:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Thanks for the review, as I was interested in this vehicle. I have come to think that the 5 Series GT is pointless and it sure is ugly. I just don't think that it is needed. BMW should have put their money into an A5 type vehicle. And I'd still like to see a 635i, but that car is so expensive as it is.
You were interested in it, but you think the car is pointless?...I'm not sure I follow you. I agree, however, that you can get reasonably good cargo space in the 5-series wagons, but, of course, they, in turn, are done on a smaller overall platform than the larger, 7-series platform of the 550 GT. And the GT also offers tire-shredding torque (more than any regular non-M 5-series), but, of course, at a weight/gas-mileage penalty as well.

The car probably IS pointless to those who are satisfied wth the regular 5-series, but I think those who want a less-ugly, less in-your-face X6 and don't need the X6's high ground clearance will give it a look. It will also be of interest to those who like the regular 7-series, but bemoan its sedan-only body styles in the American market.

As far as BMW doing an A5-style coupe, I agree to an extent (to me, the 6-series coupes are awkward-looking, borderline ugly, and, in some cases, too expensive). BMW already has the 2-seater Z4 coupes/roadsters for those who don't need a back seat, but, of course, are somewhat smaller and more cramped than an A5. The long-gone 840/850 series, to me, was the ideal BMW coupe (IMO, one of the most beautiful cars BMW ever did)........but was simply too expensive.

Last edited by mmarshall; 12-05-09 at 01:14 PM.
Old 12-05-09, 01:24 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I guarantee it will not outsell the x6. People will buy a suv here no matter how ugly useless poor etc.
Not quite. The Aztek proved that there ARE limits.

However, I did watch one young couple fall in love with one and buy it.....I've already told that story, and won't repeat the whole thing here.

Americans do not like nor want hatchbacks ans surely didnt ask for a 400hp 65k one uglier than the x6.
I agree on the overpowered, high-priced part, but as far as hatchbacks themselves go, American attitudes are changing, albeit slowly. That is why Audi finally brought the A3 hatchbacks here, after years of lagging. And Saab, of course, was successful with premium hatchbacks years, until GM re-did the Saab lineup and screwed things up.

The x6 is trendy thus we have the awful zdx knockoff. No one is going to copy or enter this niche with BMW.
What's your prediction between the ZDX and X6 in sales?. I'd pick the ZDX, based on price, but probably not by much.

THE X6, BTW, IMO, is better-looking than the ZDX only by virtue of not having a parrot-beak grille.
Old 12-05-09, 01:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
73k for this car?! Are you kidding?! BMW must be smoking something!

Nice review! I enjoyed it!
Thanks.

73K is indeed a lot of cash (a lot more than I'd spend on a car), though, like I said, base models, without options, start at 63K. And the money is not totally wasted.....this car has noticeably better materials and fit/finish than a number of other recent BMWs, particularly in interior hardware/trim/seat leather. The Dakota Ivory White leather, for example, is nicer, IMO, that what is current offered in most Lexus and Jaguar models.
Old 12-05-09, 01:47 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,380 Posts

that is really ugly, in my opinion.
Old 12-05-09, 01:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
that is really ugly, in my opinion.
Outside or inside? A somewhat better case for ugliness can probably be made outside.
Old 12-05-09, 01:56 PM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

This vehicle is aimed at trendy non conservative urban professionals. The latest free BMW magazine had a spread & on the 5gt. Here are some pics of the spread that I took below. Would I buy it? I would like something a little shorter

Old 12-05-09, 02:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall

In San Jose? I would have guessed exotics like that to be a lot more common in L.A. (specifically, Hollywood and Beverly Hills)
They are barely considered exotic in Silicon Valley because the are fairly common and often purchased with stock option gains. (Vantages, Bentley Coupes, Quatroportes, R8's etc.).

Hopefully this ugly 5-thing will outsell the X6, which isn't saying much.
Old 12-05-09, 05:06 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Thanks.

73K is indeed a lot of cash (a lot more than I'd spend on a car), though, like I said, base models, without options, start at 63K. And the money is not totally wasted.....this car has noticeably better materials and fit/finish than a number of other recent BMWs, particularly in interior hardware/trim/seat leather. The Dakota Ivory White leather, for example, is nicer, IMO, that what is current offered in most Lexus and Jaguar models.
You are right. BMW has been improving their interior a lot. I can't wait to see new 5 in person. I am really liking the 5 series, but not the GT version.
Old 12-05-09, 05:07 PM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
This vehicle is aimed at trendy non conservative urban professionals. The latest free BMW magazine had a spread & on the 5gt. Here are some pics of the spread that I took below. Would I buy it? I would like something a little shorter

she looks really pissed off, don't you think? I would be too if I was sitting in this car.
Old 12-05-09, 05:22 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Very nice review Mike, thanks. Funny MPLexus sent me a pic today of one on the road...and its horrid to look at, really a bigger, uglier (can't believe thats possible) Prius. When you get past the styling, the interior seems top notch, the drive seems great and the added cargo capacity can come in handy.

Then you get to the price. Huh?

Clearly this is a niche car, very very small niche. However do people really want a low MPG, high HP, hatchback looking thing with a very nice interior and BMW dynamics?

I guess we shall see the sales results!
Funny thing is these will sell probably to the baby boomers.. and the upper class percentile..
Old 12-05-09, 05:40 PM
pbm317
Lead Lap

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

I believe BMW indicated that xDrive (their new AWD name) will be available in about year, around the same time the 535 GT comes out
Old 12-05-09, 05:40 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

ok whats going on with station wagon design?? Porsche panamera, Bugatti and now this....is this new thing??
Old 12-05-09, 05:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tmf2004
Funny thing is these will sell probably to the baby boomers.. and the upper class percentile..
Right now, it's the Baby Boomers who have, in general, the most cash to spend. Many of them are either at the peak of their earning years or just retired.
Old 12-05-09, 05:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by STIG
she looks really pissed off, don't you think? I would be too if I was sitting in this car.
Well, driving this car will probably put a smile on one's face ....except for trying to see out the rear window. Paying for this car, though, is another matter.

Quick Reply: Happy Holidays, CL. Special Holiday Review: 2010 BMW 550i GT (Gran Tourismo)