Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 10:42 PM
flipside909
Lexus Connoisseur

Received 531 Likes on 280 Posts

Hay it, but the new Sonata is a gorgeous car in person. Hyundai has come a long way from this:

Old 12-03-09, 05:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Let’s see, the front end looks like a smashed MB CLS, and what’s up with that ugly grill. The side view has too much crease, it just doesn’t look smooth, the rear is copy of the 3 series or the Audi A4. The interior is a cross between a Infinity and a Caddy CTS, and no V6 option.
Overall. it’s a good effort by Hyundai, but some people will not like this new design, it just way too busy. Miles of ahead of teh Camry? No it is not. Maybe slight ahead, but when the re-design Camry comes out, it will be ahead once again.
Hyundai continues to struggle with finding its own identity, Some car companies have signature grill, halo lights, LED DRL or a fancy logo. Hyundai has nothing, perhaps that’s why the Genesis is badge-less.
Old 12-03-09, 07:01 AM
speedflex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

For me this has 10 times the appeal of the Camry. And the interior beats the Camry about the neck and shoulders also.
Old 12-03-09, 07:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

I saw a few people toss around the word "brand prestige".

We're talking about Hyundai Sonata, Toyota Camry, Honda Accord, Ford Fusion, etc. When you buy these cars, you're looking for value. Worry more about brand prestige once you get to cars in the higher price bracket.

I don't like the particular grill itself but the interior sure looks nice and comfortable. Can't wait to test drive one.
Old 12-03-09, 07:58 AM
KA8
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Here we go again... another series of 'the hyundai' comments. Hyundai to lexus yes it's valid but hyundai to toyota/honda/nissan? It doesn't fly. They do need to find their identity. American cars are big and bulky, european cars are boxy, japanese cars are rounder and small so what other options do they have? Make their cars triangular? Hyundai was late to the party when it comes to establishing its identity. I kind of like their designs which are totally unrelated to previous versions. With bimmers and audi's I was getting sick of their similar design for over decades.
Old 12-03-09, 08:08 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by KA8
I kind of like their designs which are totally unrelated to previous versions. With bimmers and audi's I was getting sick of their similar design for over decades.
Well, thats only because Hyundai doesnt have a company design direction, they are all over the place. They will try to copy MB one day and the next day they will try to copy Lexus.

The funny thing is that most poster here who like this new design are young, not exactly the type who will buy a 4 cyl family sedan. I still think the majority of buyers in the market for a midsize affortable family sedan will prefer the Camry and teh Accord over this new Hyundai.
Old 12-03-09, 08:47 AM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by Koma
I am impressed with the mechanicals I won't lie. But if I can't stand to look at it everyday I won't buy it.

The 2.4L 4 cyl from my tC gets terrible gas mileage and power compared to this.
your tC 2.4l is 10 years old ;-).

Problem is the price... Thats why Toyota did not bring Valvematic in North America, yet. I would not be suprised if they add Valvematic engines as part of 2n/3rd year upgrades for some models...
Old 12-03-09, 08:53 AM
PAULGS430
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If Hyundai sells Sonata @ $1500 less then the Camry & Accord. Then this will be my next Camry replacement as our work car.
Camry has just lost a future sale to Sonata here.
Old 12-03-09, 09:05 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by The G Man
Well, thats only because Hyundai doesnt have a company design direction, they are all over the place. They will try to copy MB one day and the next day they will try to copy Lexus.

The funny thing is that most poster here who like this new design are young, not exactly the type who will buy a 4 cyl family sedan. I still think the majority of buyers in the market for a midsize affortable family sedan will prefer the Camry and teh Accord over this new Hyundai.

of course people will take camry/accord over sonata. camry accord has been the best seller forever. sonata's sales number has been always good, not great.

that doesn't make camcords better than this though. if i was in the market for a midsize family sedan, i'll take this over camry and accord in a heartbeat because it's much better on paper, bit cheaper, better warranty, equally reliable, and looks better to me.
Old 12-03-09, 09:13 AM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

lol at anybody saying 'it's still a hyundai'. we aren't talkin about genesis vs. lexus/bmw/mb here.

also, back then sonata was always 1 generation behind in terms of design. but the new sonata won't look outdated anymore IMO when new camry and accord comes out.
Old 12-03-09, 10:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by joe80
of course people will take camry/accord over sonata. camry accord has been the best seller forever. sonata's sales number has been always good, not great.

that doesn't make camcords better than this though. if i was in the market for a midsize family sedan, i'll take this over camry and accord in a heartbeat because it's much better on paper, bit cheaper, better warranty, equally reliable, and looks better to me.
Then explain to me why the Camry and Accord sells better yet the Sonata is so obviously the better car.
Old 12-03-09, 10:24 AM
Koma

Originally Posted by spwolf
your tC 2.4l is 10 years old ;-).

Problem is the price... Thats why Toyota did not bring Valvematic in North America, yet. I would not be suprised if they add Valvematic engines as part of 2n/3rd year upgrades for some models...
They at least replaced the 2.4 with the 2.5l for the Camry. I wish my car came with the 2.5l with a 6 speed manual.

I'll likely upgrade to something more fun next time around anyway.
Old 12-03-09, 10:48 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I just dont see how this Hyundai 4 cyl engine is so advance. The Toyota RAV4's 4 cyl engine is already 180 HP and thats without the use of direct injection.
Old 12-03-09, 10:54 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Then explain to me why the Camry and Accord sells better yet the Sonata is so obviously the better car.
McDonalds sells more burgers than anyone on planet earth. Does that mean no one on planet earth has a better burger? Product quality has very little to do with it. The Camry and Accord outsell the Sonata (for now) because they have history, consistent build quality, low cost of ownership, and an expectation of reliability that they've been able to sustain for many, many years.
Old 12-03-09, 12:11 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

I just dont see how this Hyundai 4 cyl engine is so advance. The Toyota RAV4's 4 cyl engine is already 180 HP and thats without the use of direct injection.
Yeah and with DI it would probably put out HP in the realm of what this Sonata is putting out.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)