Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 05:39 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by EyeKutr
23 and 35 on a 200hp engine is pretty impressive for a car this size....I dont think the world needs more 300hp v6 family sedans.....anyhow
Yeah, even 200 seems a bit much for the base option. Given the weight of today's cars, 170 HP seems appropriate for a vehicle this size. Automakers should be spending money on reducing weight and not upping the power, at least for vehicles of this type. I never understood why the Camry needed a 270 HP V6. Now the Fusion I can understand as it definately exudes an element of sport.
Old 12-02-09, 06:17 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by C. McHale
I don't understand this "it's still a Hyundai" viewpoint. This car clearly looks like it's going to be significantly better than a Camry, yet you still wouldn't buy it because it's wearing a Hyundai badge? Huh?

yes I would not buy a hyundai, what am I supposed to drive to the country club on saturdays

I joke but that is exactly the problem with hyundai trying to become upmarket

but seriously, it does look very good for a non luxury midsize car.
Old 12-02-09, 06:18 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, even 200 seems a bit much for the base option. Given the weight of today's cars, 170 HP seems appropriate for a vehicle this size. Automakers should be spending money on reducing weight and not upping the power, at least for vehicles of this type. I never understood why the Camry needed a 270 HP V6. Now the Fusion I can understand as it definately exudes an element of sport.
but when they can up the power and up the mpg at the same time, then isnt it a win win?
Old 12-02-09, 06:35 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

All-new 2011 Hyundai Sonata to come in regular, turbo and hybrid

Not counting full-size trucks, the meat-and-potatoes of the American car market remains the mid-size family sedan. For the past two decades, the undisputed kings of this particular segment have been the Toyota Camry and Honda Accord, especially since the Ford Taurus fell off its pedestal right around 1992. Many have tried to knock the two Japanese heavyweights (now figuratively and literally) off the hill – and almost as many have failed. And while those two titans have remained atop the sales charts, other family sedans have met with considerable success. Perhaps most notably, the Hyundai Sonata, an unassuming car that has found its way into 1.2 million homes.

With beaming grins and news of Hyundai being named the most fuel efficient brand in America, Hyundai's brass took the wraps off their new-for-2011 Sonota. What strikes you instantly is the Sonata's curvy, slightly-hefty, almost organic shape. Hyundai calls the design language "Fluidic Sculpture," and while not quite as in-your-face as Mazda's signature Nagare styling language, we have a feeling it might prove nearly as polarizing. That's not to say the new Sonata is bad looking or ugly. But it is highly-stylized in a mid-size market that tends to reward the bland and middle-of-the-road.

But Fluidic Sculpture is what we've got – and not just on the Sonata. Hyundai's North American President and CEO John Krafcik promises that this design language will define the brand moving forward. Not surprisingly, Fluidic Sculpture originated right here in Southern California in Hyundai's Irvine design center. We really appreciate some of the finely wrought detailing, such as the grille, door handles, headlights and taillights (though those taillights appear to be lifted directly from the BMW 3 Series). We're just a wee bit uncertain of how the new Sonata will play in Peoria.

As for the non-design aspects of the 2011 Sonata, the big news is under the hood. Gone is the 3.3-liter V6, or for that matter, any V6. Instead Hyundai is offering consumers a choice of three four-cylinder engines. The first is a 2.4-liter Gasoline Direct-Injection (GDI) motor called the Theta II good for 198 horsepower and 184 pound-feet of torque. That much power from a 2.4-liter essentially puts the Sonata at the head of the four-cylinder class. But what about those pesky V6 cars? No problem, as Hyundai will launching a turbocharged version of the GDI Theta II. If direct-injection and turbocharging sounds a little EcoBoosty to you, well, it is. And that's a very, very good thing.

But what about hybrids? There will be a hybrid version of the Theta II. Hyundai's calling the technology Blue Drive,and it sounds pretty spiffy. Unlike other hybrids that use nickel hydride (or starting soon, lithium ion) batteries, the Hyundai system will use lithium polymer technology. According to Hyundai, lithium polymer leapfrogs lithium ion battery tech and within five years, the entire industry will switch to LP. Only Hyundai will be putting the tech on sale within the year. Big claims to be sure, but Hyundai's been defying conventions and expectations for quite a while now. Look for the Alabama-built Sonata to start at less than $20,000 and go on sale this January. Official press release after the jump, Jonny-on-the-spot photos below.[/QUOTE]
Old 12-02-09, 06:37 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 108 Likes on 79 Posts

Originally Posted by RXSF
but when they can up the power and up the mpg at the same time, then isnt it a win win?
of course it is... although, maybe 2.0l option would also be interesting with 170hp? ;-).
Old 12-02-09, 06:43 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Color me impressed with this new Sonata. Another big step forward for Hyundai
Old 12-02-09, 07:34 PM
C. McHale
Rookie

Originally Posted by RXSF
yes I would not buy a hyundai, what am I supposed to drive to the country club on saturdays

I joke but that is exactly the problem with hyundai trying to become upmarket

but seriously, it does look very good for a non luxury midsize car.
Oh sure I totally understand from this viewpoint. If you're driving a Lexus of course you wouldn't consider a car like this. There wouldn't be a point.

But that's not what this car is competing against. Comparing this car to the Camcordtima, Fusion and Malibu, it looks quite impressive. How anyone could be a badge snob for Toyota/Honda/Nissan/Ford/Chevy I do not know. Loyalty is one thing. Dismissing this car because "it's a Hyundai" is entirely another.
Old 12-02-09, 07:49 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by spwolf
of course it is... although, maybe 2.0l option would also be interesting with 170hp? ;-).
Bingo. 35 MPG is nice, but how bout 37?

Or how bout the Ford path, 1.6L Turbo.
Old 12-02-09, 07:57 PM
trukn1
NELOC Mod

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Not feeling the exterior styling on this one at all.
Old 12-02-09, 08:17 PM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Ah, but this new Sonata actually weighs less than the outgoing one as well.
Old 12-02-09, 08:44 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by RX_330
Ah, but this new Sonata actually weighs less than the outgoing one as well.
Thats a start.
Old 12-02-09, 08:51 PM
EyeKutr

Received 39 Likes on 25 Posts

The "its a hyundai" comment is valid IMO. Look guys, you cant just base a car on great looks, stats, etc. Toyota has proven itself over and over, for a decade or longer. Yes recently the quality has decreased a bit, but overall, it is still very good. Now, when buying a car, I consider many things. Yes brand prestige is one....in fact it is huge. Consider this, we have an 07 camry that I purchased in 1/07 for 18K....it now has 47k miles on it and I can probably sell it for 12-13k. Now take that Sonata, purchase it for 18k and see what you can get for it in 35 months and 47k miles later...
Old 12-02-09, 09:03 PM
Epik151
Driver

Brand prestige might be important to you, but the product itself is more important to me personally. I'd take my chances in a Hyundai for safety over Toyota, and reliability as well.
Old 12-02-09, 09:24 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

If the EPA really does rate this vehicle at 23/35 it will futher emphasize my point that direct injection should be mandated.
Old 12-02-09, 09:27 PM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the EPA really does rate this vehicle at 23/35 it will futher emphasize my point that direct injection should be mandated.
I am impressed with the mechanicals I won't lie. But if I can't stand to look at it everyday I won't buy it.

The 2.4L 4 cyl from my tC gets terrible gas mileage and power compared to this.

Quick Reply: 2011 Hyundai Sonata Official Thread (Pricing announced)