Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Infiniti upgrades G37 sedan for 2010 (Official)

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-09, 12:15 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Infiniti upgrades G37 sedan for 2010 (Official)

A more dynamic look and revised interior, with the latest infotainment technology available, take the 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan into a new decade with greater presence and quality. Announced today, the 2010 version of Infiniti’s popular sedan makes its debut at the 2009 Los Angeles Auto Show ahead of a sales launch early next year.

The changes to the car are subtle and include new bumper designs, new light clusters with adaptive bi-xenon globes, and a slightly revised front grille. A redesigned under-bumper section with recessed, wide-set fog lights (previously the fog lights were set into the main light clusters) also gives the 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan a new look.

Three new exterior colors are also available for 2010 models: Smokey Quartz, Graphite Shadow and Vibrant Red.

Changes in the cabin are just as subtle. For instance, the rosewood interior accents are now high gloss, the leather hues slightly lighter and there’s the option of a new wheat leather colur combined with a black dashboard and upper door trims. There is also a new aluminum trim design, along with a redesigned center console based on that in the EX and FX crossovers.

For the first time, Infiniti’s Connectiviti infotainment system is available in the G37 Sedan and includes a 30 GB Music Box and satellite navigation system.

All 2010 G37 Sedans are equipped with a refined 328 horsepower 3.7-liter VVEL (Variable Valve Event & Lift) V-6. A smooth, efficient 7-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models except the G37 Sport 6MT, which, as appropriate for a performance sedan, comes with a close-ratio 6-speed manual transmission. Chassis options of rear-wheel drive, four-wheel drive and four-wheel steer for the most sporting S version also feature once again.

Pricing and specification of the 2010 Infiniti G37 Sedan will be confirmed closer to the car’s launch in early 2010.
Personally I think the new grille is a step backwards. The old one looked more organic and flowed much better. It also had more visual detail. Otherwise, a nice update for one of my favorites in this class.
Old 12-02-09, 12:23 PM
LexFather

They really update this car often, they always have aggressive rates for it, yet is sells average. I really don't understand the disconnect here, is the brand really lacking that much mojo??. I like the front though it reminds me of the Altima/old Maxima and the rest the vehicle just reminds me of a more bulbous 3GS. I never was a huge fan of the design. The interior now looks old, even with the updates, doesn't seem luxurious.

On paper though, its a stellar machine. 328hp, 7 speed auto, good size interior, trunk, handles well, good options, manual and sport models and AWD.

I don't understand how they don't sell 5k sedans of these every month at least. Do they need a smaller engine or will it just hurt G37 sales?

Truly am a little lost here as this is one vehicle they keep fresh with updates.

Old 12-02-09, 12:26 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

whats the % spread of IS250/350? i think the answer is there.
Old 12-02-09, 12:32 PM
whoster
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I don't understand how they don't sell 5k sedans of these every month at least. Do they need a smaller engine or will it just hurt G37 sales?

Truly am a little lost here as this is one vehicle they keep fresh with updates.
That's how I feel as well.

I see more updated BMW 3-Series sedans/coupes than probably all of the G37s combined...
Old 12-02-09, 12:33 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by gshb
whats the % spread of IS250/350? i think the answer is there.
Maybe so, because I've noticed about 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ration around here.
Old 12-02-09, 12:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Maybe so, because I've noticed about 3 to 1 or 4 to 1 ration around here.
Ratio was to be 70/30 but its 40/60 in favor of the IS 250. But you can't just make that comparison. The IS sales goal is lower than the G37 as the G37 is their volume model. The ES is the Lexus volume car.

If they brought a G25 here, I am not sure if Nissan would expect a huge lift in sales or just a change in allocation. We have no idea. That said it seems to be logical to me. Maybe next gen?

Anyways, I think its another impressive update on paper and once the price holds under 40k, its a lot of car for the money.

Old 12-02-09, 12:42 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

I think it's because of the lack of brand image. The G is the Infiniti brand image so people who buy them are buying it because its a great car. You have plenty of people buying 3 series, C class, and ISs simply because they're the cheapest ticket into the big league.

If Infiniti had more brand cache they would be selling 5K of these, no doubt.
Old 12-02-09, 12:46 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i dont think it is because there isnt a smaller engine either, because you can get a G at this power for not much more than an IS250.

I dont think the interior looks up to par either.

Also, why does the driver's seat get a different stitch pattern?
Old 12-02-09, 01:01 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Nice enough updates, the majority of potential buyers will hardly notice the changes.
Old 12-02-09, 01:18 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think it's a combination of factors.

1) It doesn't have the prestige of MB, BMW, and even Lexus

2) Nissan and Infiniti does not have the same customer loyalty of Toyota/Lexus, Honda/Acura, and even the Euro makes

3) Its ride/suspension is tuned more to performance than comfort.

Just like there are more IS 250s sold than 350s, there are more 328s sold than 335s. Sure the G provides better value than an IS350 or 335, but there are a lot of people buying IS 250s, 328s, A4s, MKZs, CTS', ES', TL's, and LaCrosse's at a similar price point. The G clearly outperforms most everyone in the entry lux, but most of the rest of these have a more compliant ride.
Old 12-02-09, 02:11 PM
raptor22
Lead Lap

i agree. it is a lot of car for the money. i think the starting price for the sedan is about the same as the IS250, and the coupe starts slightly lower than the IS350. not sure how they compare after including all the options. Anyway, not a big fan of the sedan, but the coupe does have a sleek side profile

in terms of performance for the money, esp. the G37 sedan vs IS250, i think that's a no brainer. But what kills the G for me is the front (a personal preference so pls don't flame me ). I just can't warm up to the shape of the grille coupled with the hood curvature towards the front (the way the two sides are raised compared to the center). Of course, that's just me. On paper, i don't see how the G sedan isn't a better bang for the buck compared to the IS250. And i always hear how people say the G has a nice exhaust note stock. Is there really such a big difference in ride quality and interior between the two? Sorry i've never been in a G or may be everyone hates the front of the G like me LOL j/k.

and RX300-BV brings up something i've been wondering. how more IS250 are sold than 350, and more 328 than 335. Is it availability? pricing? manual/AWD options (though this doesn't really apply to BMW)?

Last edited by raptor22; 12-02-09 at 02:17 PM.
Old 12-02-09, 02:16 PM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

I simply cannot understand why more people don't buy this car. It has aggressive styling, stellar performance (snap-your-neck torque comes to mind), impressive handling, and a rear-biased AWD. It is also very reliable and not any more expensive to maintain than a Nissan Altima. I don't get why people go ahead and buy a BMW 335i, when the G37 in either coupe or sedan form is (almost) as fast, as well-built, and has much nicer styling. Sure, some will argue not as much prestige, but you'd have to be thinking almost exclusively with how well you're doing to buy a BMW over an Infiniti product.

Maybe it's a personal preference but if I'd have to drive one single car for the rest of my life, it'd be a G37.
Old 12-02-09, 02:23 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the front exterior looks more upscale now
Old 12-02-09, 04:18 PM
baddis es
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

front is a nice upgrade...interior looks the same.

i just picked up an 09 G37 sedan premium with nav this past wknd for a great price...loving every minute of it so far!
Old 12-02-09, 04:42 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

it's a great car, but interior really is cheap looking. i love the way it drives though.

Quick Reply: Infiniti upgrades G37 sedan for 2010 (Official)