Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Audi A3 TDI

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-09, 02:32 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Audi A3 TDI

By CL member request, a Review of the 2010 Audi A3 TDI.

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/a3.html

In a Nutshell: Superbly built, an excellent hatchback drivers'car, but reliability is iffy, and too many marketing restrictions.

(I have to apologize for the lack of good pictures here.....at the time of this writing, good Google images of the 2010 TDI interior/underhood were hard to find and download, and I don't have a digital camera or skills)

Though I did a review of the A3 2.0T DSG (S-Tronic) a few years ago (my reviews back then weren't as comprehensive as today), I recently got a few CL requests to do the new 2010 TDI (Direct Injection Clean Diesel) version. I also tested a TDI not long ago in the VW Jetta, but had not sampled it in the somewhat nicer Audi A3.

I went through the A3's history in the American market in my last A3 review, but will rehash some if it here. Audi was slow to recognize the A3's potential in the American market, assuming (falsely) that it wouldn't sell here because of its entry-level hatchback status, that Americans wouldn't buy hatchbacks (also falsely), and that, if it DID sell here, it would eat into A4 sales (some truth to that, but generally false). For several years, at the D.C. Auto Show, I talked to Audi marketers and tried to get them to import it here. They were more gung-ho on bringing in the big, expensive A8 (there's a lot more potential profit in an A8, of course). So, we first got the A8, and, then, finally, the A3. Though there were some annoying marketing restrictions with the first A3s (and, unfortunately, still are), my predictions were generally true.....the A3 has been a sales success, though, to a small extent, at the cost of a few A4 sales.

While, of course, the VW Golf/Jetta overlaps the A3's market on the lower-end, and the A4 Avant (Wagon) on the high end, the A3 seems to have carved out a niche for itself among certain customer groups that are a little different from those buying Golf/Jettas and A4s. VW's, for example (though I don't believe in car-market stereotypes and generally don't encourage them) tend to attract females quite heavily, both young and old. A4's, on the average, except for the high-performance S4 and RS-4, tend to attract a somewhat older, more conservative crowd that, of course, wants a sedan with a trunk (though A4 Avant wagons are available if desired). So, that leaves the A3 with generally younger buyers (both male and female) that want hatchback versatility, a reasonable price, moderately sporting performance, and, of course, the panache of the upmarket Audi nameplate.

The A3 also, along with some VW models and its sedan-brother A4, helped put the superb 2.0T turbo gas engine and DSG (Direct-Shift-Gearbox, which Audi has recently re-named S-Tronic) on the automotive map. I have long admired both that engine and transmission, and, were it not for the generally spotty reliability of most Audi products, would likely be driving that combination today (if it were offered with the Quattro AWD). Subaru, of course, offers more reliable AWD vehicles, and, in the meantime, converted me.

But....that brought us to a fly in the ointment. Audi wouldn't offer the Quattro with the 2.0T/DSG combo.....you had to spend extra money for the 3.2L VR-6 engine to get it. Audi, on the A3, stubbornly stuck to that policy, even though, to my knowledge, there have been numerous requests for a 4 cylinder/S-Tronic/AWD combo. Now that the 3.2L VR-6 is no longer offered on the A3, however, Audi DOES offer that 2.0T/S-Tronic/AWD combo.

And, of course, in the meantime, enter the TDI Diesel. I've written much about this powerplant in previous VW-Audi reviews, so, again, I'm not going to rehash too much right here, but there is no denying its competence. The state-of-the-art TDI, the larger BMW/Mercedes Bluetec diesels, and the low-sulfur diesel fuels that go with them, turn conventional diesel thinking right on its head. Gone, for good, is the black smoke, marble-can idle, shaking/vibration, stinky exhaust, hard-to-start-in-cold weather, truck-stop refueling, fuel/water contamination, and gross unreliability of the old 30-year diesels that Americans just can't seem to forget. This TDI diesel engine is, IMO, as superb as its gas-powered 2.0T brother, if not more so......and both engines, IMO, seem to have their torque figures underrated some, perhaps for insurance purposes.

For 2010, two U.S.-market A3 trim versions are offered......Premium and Premium-Plus. Only one body style, of course, is offered.....a 5-door hatchback. Two engines are offered (and both, IMO, are superb).....a gasoline 2.0L Turbo TFSI Four with 200 HP and 207 Ft-lbs of torque (the torque is probably underrated), and, of course, the 2.0L TDI diesel with 140 HP and 236 Ft-lbs of torque (again, possibly torque-underrated). Both engines come with a choice of Premium or Premium-Plus packages. Gas-powered models come with a choice of 6-speed manual transmission or the superb S-Tronic twin-clutch automated manual (long one of my favorite transmissions, as I indicated above). Diesels get only the S-Tronic. Gas engines get a choice of FWD or Quattro AWD; diesels only the FWD (a serious marketing error, IMO). Another marketing error, of course, is not offering a manual transmission/diesel combination, but the S-Tronic is such a good transmission that that can be overlooked. A Sport Package is offered for those who want a more responsive chassis.

As requested, I reviewed a TDI version of the A3. TDI A3 models, right now, are just being introduced, so they sell pretty quickly, as supply as yet to catch up with demand. The dealership I was at today offered me a white demo model for a review/test-drive (it had the bright-color "Clean-Diesel" decals platered on it that Audi and VW use for their TDI advertising). But, demo or not, it had an official factory price sticker on it, so, as usual, I copied the price/option information down and posted it. A couple of other TDI's (black and gray) were also in stock, but, nevertheless, it was clear that these cars are not in plentiful supply right now.........there are definitely more gas-powered 2.0T models available, and you are likely to get more of a discount, right now, on a gas-powered model.

Anyhow, though there were a few things about it I didn't like (and, of course, the annoying marketing restrictions), I can honestly say that I was pleased with this car.....VERY pleased. It was worth the trip (in heavy Saturday traffic) and the inconvenience of driving down to the Audi shop to review it. And, more important, this car seems to be worth the money it costs........which is not something I can always say for the vehicles I review.

Details coming up.

Model Reviewed: 2010 Audi A3 TDI

Base Price: $29,250

Options:

Premium-Plus Package: $2700

Open-Sky Sunroof: $1100

Cold Weather Package: $500

Destination/Freight: $825

List Price as Reviewed: $34,375

Drivetrain: FWD, 2.0L Turbo, Direct-Injected Diesel 4, 140 HP @ 4200 RPM, Torque 236 Ft-lbs. @ 1750 RPM, 6-speed S-Tronic twin-clutch automated manual with paddle-shifts.

EPA Mileage Rating: 30 City, 42 Highway

Exterior Color: Ibis White, with ad-promotion decals.

Interior: Black Leather

PLUSSES:

A superb value for the money.

Handsome (IMO) exterior styling.

Strong diesel torque at low RPMs.

Up to 42 MPG highway mileage competes with hybrids.

Start/warmup/running indistinguishable from a gasoline engine.

No periodic urea-solution diesel refills required.

Quick steering response.

Flat cornering with little body roll.

Superb exterior fit/finish.

Tank-solid exterior sheet metal/doors/hood/hatch lid.

Slick, mirrorlike paint job.

Some nice exterior paint colors (but the yellow from the S-line, unfortunately, is not offfered)

Standard body-side moldings for parking-lot protection.

Fold-down rear seats combined with center Pass-through.

Well-finished cargo area.

Excellent (but not killer) stereo-sound quality.

Stereo has Weather-radio bands for storms/forecasts.

Fairly nice seat leather.

Superb-quality interior trim/hardware.

Swiss-Watch-precise assembly quality.

No annoying MMI in my test car (this is a personal opinion, of course, and is subjective).

MINUSES:

No Quattro AWD with the TDI diesel (this is a serious omission).

No manual-transmission option with the diesel.

Rather mushy but somewhat sensitive brake pedal......unusual for an Audi.

Ride comfort not harsh, but firmer then I like.

OK, but not particularly good underhood layout.

Rather low ground clearance from lower-body farings.

Oversized (IMO) Audi grilles a little too large and garish for my tastes.

Bright-yellow paint color from Audi S line not offered on A3.

Temporary spare tire.

Somewhat tight rear headroom and legroom for tall adults.

Protruding rear headrests somewhat uncomfortable.

Wood trim (apparantly) not available on A3 series.

Low-sulfur diesel fuel, required by modern diesels and the EPA, more expensive than some gasoline blends.

So-so reliability history.

4/50 drivetrain warranty not in line with an upmarket-vehicle nameplate.

With some exceptions, Audi salespeople tend to be aloof/aristocratic in nature.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the new A3, there is nothing new about its styling. Though the interior has some minor differences, outside, it's pretty much the same A3 we've seen for several years now. Same conservative 5-door hatchback styling; same oversized (IMO) toothy/egg-crate grille, same muted, conservative look to the headlights, same low-slung stance with low-body fairings. In fact, to some extent, it looks like a low-slung version of the Audi Q5 SUV.

Audi seems to have become the new Lexus in automotive fit/finish and material/trim quality. Though there is no denying that Audi overall reliability has been, and still is, below average, especially in electronics (its sister car, the A4, has recently shown improvement), the A3, for a car of this price, (30K +/-) has exterior sheet metal, trim, and hardware quality that can only be described as stunning. The body panels, doors, hood, and liftgate not only have the sheet metal feel of a tank, but are smoothed to perfection and given a smooth, slick, glossy, mirrorlike paint job. Next to the paint goes some of the smoothest, most securely-attached, buffed/finished-smooth chrome and brushed-metal trim you'll find on the market. The twin outside mirrors, with their solid housings, have integral turn-signals (some manufacturers are eliminatng those from cost-cutting), and swivel/snap/lock with near (but not quite) Honda-Acura precision. Body-side moldings are provided to help ward off at least some parking-lot dings (eliminating those moldings is another growing area of automotive cost-cutting). The exterior paint colors are a generally nice mix of fairly bright and funeral-home shades, but a significant marketing error (IMO) is not offering the bright yellow from the Audi S-series. In back, the conservative, semi-squared-off roofline helps add to cargo space...more on that down below.

UNDERHOOD:

Lift the tank-solid hood (which opens/closes with a firm, precise THUNK, just like the doors), and two nice gas struts hold things up for you. As expected in a premium-nameplate car, there is a nice thick insulation pad underneath to quiet things down.....and it works. But I also listened to the diesel idling with the hood up, where the pad was not a factor, and the diesel's quietness is not just a muffled thing with the pad; its idle has only slightly more noise/vibration than the gas-engine 2.0L. The diesel, instead of the old "clack-clack" idle of many years ago, had a very quiet, muffled "tick-tick" sound that virtually disappeared with the hood down. The 2.0L TDI diesel engine itself fits in OK, but the underhood layout/access was not the best. Dipsticks, filler-caps, and reservoirs can be reached OK, but a big, annoying, plastic engine cover hides most of the things under it, and the battery, underhood computers, and a number of other components are hidden under separate black-plastic covers. This is generally not a car for DIY-ers.

INTERIOR:

Get in, close the door with a solid "Thunk", and the interior, for the most part, continues the well-above-average quality of the exterior trim/hardware. The all-black leather version in my test-car is a little too monotone, however, for my tastes (other colors are available). Unfortunately, another needless marketing restriction...unlike higher-line Audis, wood-trims don't seem to be offered at all, with any A3 interior. Still, the nice brushed/textured-metal trim and insets add a nice touch to the acres of black leather and trim, and the leather itself is nice-feeling and smooth.....not the dull, textured, rough-feeling stuff (and even vinyl/synthetics) you get in some other German-designed cars. Most of the hardware all has a solid, strong feel to it, and the buttons/*****/switches are labeled, solid, and reasonably easy to use. Happily, my non-NAV car did not have the annoying Audi MMI system which I've criticized in other Audi reviews, along with the equally annoying and difficult (IMO) BMW I-Drive control. An unusual touch in the radio is the presence of NOAA Weather-band frequencies for updates on storms and forecasts (Subaru, years ago, used to include this feature on its upper-level cars, but long since sacrificed it to cost-cutting). the stereo sound quality itself was, again, well-above average, but not quite in the killer category (still, it was nice to hear Gene Simmons and KISS do "Calling Dr. Love" and "Christine, Sixteen".....good music for good stereos).

The steering wheel was the typical well-shaped Audi three-spoke, with integrated controls and a nice comfortable grip. The column had manual tilt/telescope functions which worked smoothly. The primary gauges, again more or less standard Audi design, were clear and easy to read. The front seats were generally comfortable and had all-power adjustments. Legroom/headroom was OK up front for tall people if you worked the seat cushion down low enough. In back, though, headroom, under the sunroof housing, was tight for tall people despite the high, conservative roofline; legroom was OK if the front seat was not adjusted too far back (the scalloped knee-slots in the front-seat backs helped a little). The rear seats themselves were OK in comfort except for the sharply forward-protruding leather headrests that put pressure on the back of the neck or head (it was had to adjust that out). This seems to be a growing safety/litigation feature, and (maybe?) something dictated by auto-company lawyers. The forward-pointing headrests, of course, lessen the chance of whiplash in strong rear-end impacts and better-protect the upper spine. Still, though, I like the way that Volvo and Saab do it........they use a special pendulum/lever device, with a built-in weight, that instantly swings the headrest foward in a rear-impact to protect your neck without having to have that constant foward-point in the headrest itself. The headliner and sun visors both had reasonably nice finish and materials on them.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open up the hatch lid, which is heavily-built and tank-solid just like the doors/hood, and a generally well-finished cargo area greets you, though I did not notice a standard First-Aid kit inside like many upmarket vehicles have. The conservative, wagon-roofline is fairly high, and does not drop down at a jelly-bean angle like in some vehicles, so it does not impact the cargo space much.....there is generally plenty of room for tall items. The conservative roofline, D-Pillar, and rear-end styling also allow good vision out the rear. Inside, a thin but plush-feeling grade of black carpeting covers both the cargo floor and walls. The rear seats lack a remote release from the cargo area, but both drop down to add to cargo space and create a semi-flat floor. In addition, there is a small pass-through in the middle of the seat for long,narrow items like skis or fishing poles. A cargo net helps secure bags and packages. Under a pull-up panel, on the trunk floor, lies, as usual, a temporary spare tire. Normally, I would complain about not having a real spare (and I still think that a 30K-plus car should have one), but the designers, in general, have put so much into high-quality construction and fit/finish on this car that a little bean-counting, in this case, can be excused.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the engine with an electronic key-fob (I don't remember the car having a push-button starter), and the 2.0L TDI diesel almost instantly springs to life with virtually no waiting time for the diesel glow-plug warm-up. Like its gas-powered 2.0T cousin, I've praised this engine in previous reviews, and, once again, there was no letdown. One really has to experience a modern, state-of-the-art diesel to believe how far they've come. The idle, as I described above, is a very faint tick-tick-tick which is pretty much inaudible inside the car with the hood down. On the road, there is no visible black smoke/soot out the tailpipe, and low-RPM torque comes on abruptly....you get a good shove in the back with very little pedal pressure. This, of course, is not only the typically high torque from modern diesels (the published 236 Ft-lbs, which peaks at only 1750 RPM, is probably underrated), but, or course, also a function of the superb S-Tronic transmission (more on that in a second). Exhaust noise is low, especially compared to older diesels, unless you push it, when you do get some noise starting about 3000 RPM or so. But a diesel's redline is traditionaly lower than a gas engine, so you won't be pushing high RPMs very often, especially with this kind of torque. And, of course, though you'll sometimes have have to search around for a station with the not-so-cheap low-sulfur diesel fuel this engine requires, you won't have to do it very often............the 42 Highway MPG figure is up there in the realm of a number of hybrids. And, another asset...........the VW/Audi TDI does not require the periodic urea-injection refills that the larger BMW/Mercedes Bluetec diesels do.

The superb 6-speed S-Tronic (Audi-speak for the VW DSG/Direct-Shift-Gearbox, which is the same unit) is another piece of equipment that I have highly praised the last several years. Its twin-clutch automated-shift action (manual shifts, of course, are also possible) combines smoothness, efficiency, power delivery, and automatic-transmission convienence without the power-wasting effects of a conventional automatic's torque converter. Do not confuse the S-Tronic with the Tip-Tronic, which is a conventional torque-converter automatic label that is also widely used by Audi and Porsche. VW still uses the DSG (S-Tronic) in several of their models, while Audi, unfortunately, seems to be phasing it out of most of their U.S.-market cars, replacing it with the more conventional Tip-Tronic. Fortunately, the S-Tronic is still available in the Audi A3, and I highly recommend it. Audi marketers say the S-Tronic is just too complex, with its twin-clutches and computerized operation, and difficult to service/repair, though, again, it seems to be a cost issue. It also doesn't explain why they are keeping the S-tronic on many of their Euro-market models while cuting back on it in the U.S. A minor complaint, for enthusiasts, is not having a manual transmission option available with the diesel TDI, but, as I see it, the DSG/S-tronic is so good that I certainly wouldn't miss not having a clutch pedal. A much more serious complaint, as I see it (and as I mentioned above), is not having the Quattro AWD option with the diesel.......this strong-torque diesel could easily handle the added weight/drag of AWD with no sweat.

The chassis, otherwise, is more or less typical Audi......although the steering response, from the electro-mechanical power steering, is definitely quicker than on some other Audis I've driven (quicker, it seems, than even on the high-performance S4). There is little body roll, which is well-snubbed. Steering feel, of course, is not BMW-telepathic (let's face it, nothing else is like BMW steering feel), but gives a reasonable sense of what the front tires are doing, and has more feel than in many past Audis. Wind noise is well-controlled, but, of course, not Lexus quiet. Road/tire noise is fairly well-controlled, but some tire thumping comes through on bumps and road imperfections. Ride comfort, in general, is a little on the firm side for my tastes, but not harsh or uncomfortable....the Germans, in general, do a great job of combining ride and handling.

Brakes are quite unusual in their feel/operation, especially for an Audi (and many other German-designed vehicles). On my test car, they felt almost like the brakes on a typical hybrid, but without a hybrid's regenerative-braking drag. The pedal is very non-liner, with a soft, mushy feel at first and little response, then with a rapid increase in sensitivity/response as you press it down a little further. I'm not a brake engineer, but from what I do know about brakes, it seems like the proportioning-valves and master cylinder could use a little work to even things out under pressure. Fortunately, though, the brake pedal seems to be well-placed (it usually is in German cars), and I had no trouble with my big size 15 circus-clown shoes hanging up on the pedal going from gas to brake.

THE VERDICT:

While the marketing restrictions are annoying, and a few quirks still remain in the design, in general, Audi has done a superb job with this car, and I'm glad to say that I'm well-pleased with it. In fact, if the Quattro were offered with the TDI/S-tronic (as it SHOULD be), and the reliability record of most Audis were a little more Subaru-like, I'd consider driving one myself, even though the ride comfort is a little firmer than I'd like. I don't think I've seen such superb sheet metal/trim/hardware or body construction, on a car in this price range, in a long time.....and in that, it's comparable to even some higher-priced Audis. The market seems to be telling the story, with people voting with their $$$$$$$.......BMW, even with its unmatched steering/chassis enginering, seems to be losing some ground to Audi with car-buyers.

But no car is perfect, and the new A3 still needs some refining. First, and foremost, get rid of the senseless marketing restrictions. Offer the AWD with the diesel (and manual combo for enthusiasts). Give it the yellow paint option from the S models. Offer wood and/or and carbon-fiber-trim interiors for those (like me) who prefer them to metallic trim. Put a real spare tire in the trunk (although, as I said above, that may be excused in this case). And rework the rear seat for more headroom, and the headrestraints so that they are more comfortable (maybe in the Volvo-Saab manner). Adjust the valves/hydraulics in the braking system to even out the pedal feel a little. And, last, of course, even though newer Audis (especially the A4) seem to be showing some improvement, let's use more reliable electronics so that bulbs, wiring, connectors, and relays don't have so much trouble.

But, even as it is, the A3 is a superb small 5-door hatchback. I can see that I recieved this review request for a good reason......even with its shortcomings, this is a great buy for 30-35K, and well worth the money.

Happy Shopping.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-22-09 at 02:46 PM.
Old 11-22-09, 04:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good review as usual Mike.

I really don't understand the omission of Quattro on this model though. There are tons of Audi's in my neck of the woods (as well as a disproportionate amount of Subies ), mainly due to the Quattro offering. Why would they leave it off what could be one of their strongest selling models?
Old 11-22-09, 05:07 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Good review as usual Mike.
Thanks.

I really don't understand the omission of Quattro on this model though. There are tons of Audi's in my neck of the woods (as well as a disproportionate amount of Subies ), mainly due to the Quattro offering. Why would they leave it off what could be one of their strongest selling models?

Not being an engineer (or a marketer), I can't say for sure why Quattro is not offered with the diesel. It's not just a matter of fitting it to the diesel S-Tronic, because other S-Tronic-equipped VWs and Audis do offer it (though, of course, S-Tronic Audis are being phased out in America). And, on the gas-engine 2.0T A3 models, Quattro IS offered with both the manual and S-Tronic gearboxes.

Perhaps it is a cost issue. Or, perhaps, more likely (and this is my strongest guess) Audi wants to flout the diesel's high fuel mileage (so it can compete with hybrids), and, of course, all other things equal, AWD's weight/drag cuts into both engine power and MPG.
Old 11-22-09, 08:12 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Next planned review: 2010 BMW 550
Old 11-22-09, 10:03 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the review! I like dark interiors, but the A3 doesnt appeal to me at all. Looks cheap
Old 11-22-09, 10:28 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Thanks for the review Mmarshall I've been looking at the new A3 TDI because a majority of my driving is on the freeways and it only looks like it's going to increase within the next few years. I too was bummed about the lack of quattro on the A3 but here's to hoping they'll add it as an option in the future
Old 11-23-09, 12:00 AM
werewolf
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

$35K for a diesel hatchback? hmm....this will be an interesting test of the Audi brand
Old 11-23-09, 03:02 AM
superchan7
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lotsa cargo nets! VW/Audi still have yet to prove themselves in the reliability and US dealer service aspect. It's a shame, because they sure look good inside and out...
Old 11-23-09, 03:48 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should promote S-tronic DSG more (I believe VAG uses the DSG module from BorgWarner, am I right?).

In press releases officially coming from Audi themselves (and even from brands under VAG), it is ALWAYS mentioned that the BorgWarner DSG is even more fuel efficient and has faster acceleration compared to their 6-speed manual. Wow.

Why phase out a solid gearbox anyways? The DSG works like a charm.

Oh and introducing quattro to the current A3 diesel configuration in America would make the clean diesel version even more desirable IMHO

P.S.
I believe that for European markets, the S-tronic now has a 7-speed variant. Wow, those guys in VAG and BorgWarner are definitely working real hard in the R&D department
Old 11-23-09, 05:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Excellent review mmarshall, you should do this for a living

I had a gas engine A3 for 2 days as a loaner a while back. All I can say is this thing handles like a go cart, cranks the turns and stay flat. of course it accelarates much better than a go cart The interior is so so, but its is comfortable. The mechanical components and the paint job was top notch. If I were in the market for a small sport wagon, no doubt in my mind that the A3 TDI will be on my short list.
Old 11-23-09, 06:18 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by lamar411
Thanks for the review!
Sure...anytime.

I like dark interiors, but the A3 doesnt appeal to me at all. Looks cheap
Like I said in the review, I didn't have particularly good images to post...I don't have a digital camera, and good Google images for the new A3 are lacking. That interior may LOOK cheap but it is NOT cheap. Most of the materials used are first-rate. It does, however, have more black monotone than I care for.....but other colors are available.

Last edited by mmarshall; 11-23-09 at 06:35 AM.
Old 11-23-09, 06:25 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Allen K
Thanks for the review Mmarshall
Sure...anytime.

I've been looking at the new A3 TDI because a majority of my driving is on the freeways and it only looks like it's going to increase within the next few years. I too was bummed about the lack of quattro on the A3 but here's to hoping they'll add it as an option in the future
Quattro is available on all of the gas-engine versions of the A3.....manual and S-Tronic. The gas-powered 2.0T is also a superb small engine (you'll see that when you test-drive it ), but, of course, will not equal the TDI's fuel-mileage.

Both engines, BTW, are also available on somewhat cheaper VW models...but, unfortunately, VW also has someothe marketing restrictions as well. You might want to check with the VW dealer to see if you can special-order a Jetta TDI with the S-Tronic and AWD (4MOTION) .
Old 11-23-09, 06:28 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by werewolf
$35K for a diesel hatchback? hmm....this will be an interesting test of the Audi brand
You can get the same TDI in some cheaper VW models....but their fit/finish, IMO, are not up to Audi levels. Still, as less-expensive commuter cars, they are worth a look.

And, my 35K model was the demo they gave me for a test-drive. Cheaper A3 TDIs are available....one of the other two they had in stock there listed for $31,775.
Old 11-23-09, 06:34 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by superchan7
VW/Audi still have yet to prove themselves in the reliability and US dealer service aspect. It's a shame, because they sure look good inside and out...
Reliability of Audis, in general, is slowly improving....especially with the A4 models. But their electronics have traditionally ben a weak point. Still, if you don't plan to keep it more than 4-5 years, the warranty should take care of most problems, although there is the inconvienence, of course, of trips to the Adui shop for repairs. And the underhood layout, as I noted, is not good for DIY'ers. VW does seem to have problems with customer satisfaction in the warranty/repair buisness.....they consistantly rank near the bottom.
Old 11-23-09, 06:38 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Blackraven
They should promote S-tronic DSG more (I believe VAG uses the DSG module from BorgWarner, am I right?).

In press releases officially coming from Audi themselves (and even from brands under VAG), it is ALWAYS mentioned that the BorgWarner DSG is even more fuel efficient and has faster acceleration compared to their 6-speed manual. Wow.

Why phase out a solid gearbox anyways? The DSG works like a charm.

Oh and introducing quattro to the current A3 diesel configuration in America would make the clean diesel version even more desirable IMHO

P.S.
I believe that for European markets, the S-tronic now has a 7-speed variant. Wow, those guys in VAG and BorgWarner are definitely working real hard in the R&D department
You're preaching to the choir here. I agree 100%.

The Audi people told me that they are phasing out the American-market S-Tronics because of complexity and diffuculty of repair. That's probably true....but it may be a cost-issue as well. VW, fortunately, seems less gung-ho on phasing them out.

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Audi A3 TDI