Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-09, 03:22 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i'm lovin the side creases. i guess it's a trend.
Old 11-23-09, 03:23 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Ice350
You guys actually like them going back to boring bimmers?
The Bangle stuff has enough style to be able to sit next to other high end cars without blinking an eye. The old stuff didn't look stylish enough to hang with a Benz or Jag. So they go back to plain Jane....I don't get it...but I don't have to. I drive stylish Lexus cars.
lol but then again some people say the gs is not stylish

back to the f10. i personally don't really care how the e60 looks, some people say the bangle design is this and that and how "advance" it is in styling. to me, maybe that's true, but leave that to the future. i want something that looks good "now". honestly i still can't get over the look of e60, m5 is probably the best i could take. at least the f10 doesn't get me to hate the car to begin with
Old 11-23-09, 03:25 PM
amdave
Driver

I am a big fan of Lexus but BMW did an excellent job with this car! This is the first BMW I have really wanted to buy in a loooong time. I bet the new 3 series will look sweet as well.
Old 11-23-09, 03:29 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by joe80
GS is the definition of plain Jane IMO. and that's one of the reason it didn't sell compared to E and 5. LS is elegant and sexy, but GS? meh.
What???
The GS plain???
It's the most copied plain car on the market then.
I like just about every German car but the BMW's are the most understated. I have taken pics of E46's next to other high end cars and it's obvious how plain they are, even modded. They have to be heavily modded to look stylish. The 6 series and actually all the Bangle designs changed that. The current 5 being really stylish. I used to really love the E39 but not anymore. It looks like a girl who needs make-up to look pretty but never gets taken home to meet the folks.
The GS has curves everywhere...from every angle. Style in abundance. You may not like the car but anyone with eyes has to see it's bodacious curves. It's the girl who looks good even without make-up...all you can think of is trying to get with her. You don't know why but you can't help yourself.
Old 11-23-09, 03:35 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

i love GS, but it's a conservative design.
Old 11-23-09, 03:36 PM
joe80
Lexus Test Driver

well i used to love it. but kinda got sick of it..
Old 11-23-09, 04:54 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

No 6MT option with 8 cylinder = shattered dreams

Not that that dream was realistic, but its nice to think about it.
Old 11-23-09, 06:26 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

I like the look of it, but honestly, it looks too close to the 3 series. the headlights are practically the same, and the rear trunk lid is also very similar.
Old 11-23-09, 06:54 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rashoodz
^ I saw the new E63 today, was really boring looking, IMO.
Hmmm? I'm not sure that I'd use the word boring to describe it. I looked at one the other day, side by side with an '09, and I don't think it was even close. The '10 is far better looking and cheaper for the newer model. Who would buy the '09 for the same cash as a '10?

I would certainly say it is understated. The one I looked at was Obsidian with black leather and full carbon fiber inside and out. I thought it was so good that I even inquired about trading my F on it. I was far too upside down or I would have done it. Super happy it didn't happen now....as I love my F...and can't wait for the new M5.

Originally Posted by joe80

i love GS, but it's a conservative design.
No disrespect to current GS owners, but it isn't even close. The brand new E and 5 are much more attractive, and have much more to offer. Hopefully the next gen GS will make an appearance soon so Lexus can get back to competing in this segment. Outside of the GS Hybrid, which is class leading, Lexus is getting killed....and sales show that.
Old 11-23-09, 08:25 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

the only bad thing i can think of is that it looks like a 3 series from afar.

i'd rather be confused with a flagship than an entry-level.

current gen front end still looks more sporty. nostrils aren't as big

still, lexus should learn from this and put a little more character into its exterior designs.

the GX looks more like a toyota than a lexus.

Last edited by dunnojack; 11-23-09 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-23-09, 11:20 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

I am sorry, but there is nothing "exciting" about the F10, it is handsome at best, so is the current 3GS.

I'll be the first to admit that I was one of the haters when the E60 first showed up, but I've warmed up to it over the years, especially after the face-lift with the updated tail lamp. Compare to the F10 it is more stylish, has more character in design and in all honesty it is probably the most successful model under Bengle's reign.

All in all, BMW puts out a "safe" design for the new 5er, it is inoffensive, handsome, straight forward but lacking the spice that its predecessor has. Also, the new 5-series is just shockingly similar as the 7er, which is really not a good trend imo (never an Audi S-M-L type of design fan). Say whatever you want about Lexus' design but at least the Lexus designers actually put in effort to create four different looking sedans unlike their lazy European counterparts.

Oh, by the way, want more example on why BMW is getting lazier and lazier? check out their interiors...
Old 11-23-09, 11:31 PM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

New 5-series interior:

New 7-series interior:

BMW... YOU ROCK!!!
Old 11-23-09, 11:35 PM
dr Lu
Driver

I think it takes some getting used to. I didnt like it at all when the pictures were first released, but Im slowly growing to like it..also will be patiently waiting for what the next M5 will look like.
Old 11-24-09, 06:34 AM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

This car will cause Infiniti a headache, because I THINK I may already like it more than the M. Lexus don't disappoint on the 4th Gen GS please.
Old 11-24-09, 07:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The new 5 have the same old boring BMW interior, I guess BMW will never learn

Quick Reply: 2010 BMW 5-series official thread (sold out, 3-4 month wait)