Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Harder Rules Equal Fewer IIHS Top Safety Picks (no Toyota or Lexus models a top pick)

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-09, 12:31 PM
Overclocker
G35x - RWD/AWD goodness

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Exclamation Harder Rules Equal Fewer IIHS Top Safety Picks (no Toyota or Lexus models a top pick)

The 2010 Top Safety Pick winners from the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety have just been released — full list below — and the list has shrunk from 91 winners in 2009 to just 27 2010 models. That’s because the IIHS has added a new crash test — a roof-strength test — into the requirement, which is two-times more stringent than the one the federal government mandates. Rollover crashes account for 9,000 deaths annually, though not all from being crushed.

The photo above is not a before and after image. On the left is a 2010 Volkswagen Tiguan after the IIHS' new roof strength test. On the right is the 2008 Kia Sportage after the same test. The Tiguan earned the top roof crash score and the Sportage the worst.
The award now encompasses front, side, rear and roof crash tests, and each winner must earn a top score of Good on each crash test to get the nod. The biggest surprise to us was the complete absence of Toyota or Lexus models from the list; the automaker had 10 winners in 2009. Chrysler also surprised us by getting four models on the 2010 list, which is more than any other domestic automaker, and ties it with Volvo.

The 2010 list’s true winner has to be Subaru, which had every one of its five vehicles — not including high-performance versions — earn a Top Safety Pick.

The IIHS began testing roof strength in March and so far has tested 52 new models. Why haven’t they tested more? Spokesman Russ Rader says the IIHS contacted every manufacturer to explain the guidelines and request that they send any vehicles with a chance of passing the evaluation. It seems only 52 were up to the challenge.

A few models barely missed the mark or are on the list with exceptions. The new Volvo XC60 SUV had a glitch with its seat belts in side impacts, which the manufacturer has corrected. The IIHS nod only goes to XC60s manufactured after November when the fix went into effect. Current XC60 owners can also take their vehicle into a dealer to have the glitch repaired.
Ford’s Fusion sedan and the Honda Accord both missed the roof-strength mark by a small margin, which the IIHS says can easily be corrected for future models. The Toyota Camry actually passed the roof-strength test but barely missed the top score in rear crash tests, which the IIHS also says can be easily remedied by the automaker and resubmitted for testing.

2010 Winners

Large cars

* Buick LaCrosse
* Ford Taurus
* Lincoln MKS
* Volvo S80

Midsize cars

* Audi A3
* Chevrolet Malibu built after Oct. 2009
* Chrysler Sebring 4-door with optional ESC
* Dodge Avenger with optional ESC
* Mercedes C class
* Subaru Legacy
* Subaru Outback
* Volkswagen Jetta sedan
* Volkswagen Passat sedan
* Volvo C30

Small cars

* Honda Civic 4-door with optional ESC, except Si
* Kia Soul
* Nissan Cube
* Subaru Impreza except WRX
* Volkswagen Golf 4-door

Midsize SUVs

* Dodge Journey
* Subaru Tribeca
* Volvo XC60Volvo XC90

Small SUVs

* Honda Element
* Jeep Patriot with optional side thorax airbags
* Subaru Forester
* Volkswagen Tiguan
Source: http://blogs.cars.com/kickingtires/2...ty-picks-.html
Old 11-18-09, 12:43 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

More stringent test rules will hopefully mean stronger and safer cars.

Toyota Motor Corp., BMW AG, Mazda Motor Corp. and Mitsubishi Motors Corp. were shut out in the annual IIHS review.
IIHS Top Pick #s
Ford 6
Subaru 5
VW 5
Chrysler 4
Honda 2
GM 2

The Honda Accord and the Ford Fusion both dropped off the list because 2010 versions didn't earn high enough scores on the roof test. The Toyota Camry would have made the list, the Institute said, if it had received the highest rating in rear crash protection. The Institute said the Camry's seats and head restraints were rated marginal for protection against whiplash injuries.
Looks like active headrests are needed there.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...s2H8AD9C1V38O0
Old 11-18-09, 12:43 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

thats weird. last time i checked, the 2010 RX350/450h was a top safety pick

http://www.iihs.org/ratings/tsp_archive.html

for some reason they counted the RX as part of 2009 even though it is a 2010 model.
Old 11-18-09, 12:48 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Ah, the answer is in the OP link:

The IIHS began testing roof strength in March and so far has tested 52 new models.
So far this year, only Camry, RAV4 and Yaris have been tested out of all Toyota Motor Co. models, according to the linked info.
Old 11-18-09, 01:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

I think this is a good move by the IIHS. If almost every car have a 5 star safety rating, then the rating becomes meaningless.
Old 11-18-09, 01:12 PM
PhantomZX
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

All this testing seems to just cause a vicious cycle. Most of these added safety features are adding weight which in turn causes yet more safety features to be necessary.
Old 11-18-09, 01:20 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

so they keep wanting all these safety features thus increasing the weight, but they want these cars to consume less and less gas?
Old 11-18-09, 01:26 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by encore888

So far this year, only Camry, RAV4 and Yaris have been tested out of all Toyota Motor Co. models, according to the linked info.
yeah, toyota sent a press release complaining, but the IIHS asked toyota to send ALL the cars they wanted to be tested.

I dunno, but i'm cracking up either way. Seems like a little slap fight going on.

http://jalopnik.com/5407052/bmw-toyo...-list/gallery/

to:

http://jalopnik.com/5407606/toyota-c...and-misleading

to:

http://jalopnik.com/5407648/iihs-fir...e-its-mouth-is

hilarious.
Old 11-18-09, 01:30 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Wow that is one real slap-fest going on there. I dunno what to think, although I find Jalopnik to be rather gleeful in seeing Toyota taken down a peg or two. IMO though, each manufacturer should be held to the same standard. If they are going to 'assume' that models not submitted to the test are incapable of passing, that can be read a number of ways.
Old 11-18-09, 01:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
so they keep wanting all these safety features thus increasing the weight, but they want these cars to consume less and less gas?
Short answer, yes. And significant progress has been made on both fronts over the last 2 decades with use of more advanced technology and high strength metals.
Old 11-18-09, 02:20 PM
LexFather

More stringent test rules will hopefully mean stronger and safer cars.

IIHS Top Pick #s
Ford 6
Subaru 5
VW 5
Chrysler 4
Honda 2
GM 2

Looks like active headrests are needed there.

http://www.google.com/hostednews/ap/...s2H8AD9C1V38O0
I'm not picking on Overclocker here but I am so sick and tired of fanbois and a bunch of pea brains always fawning whenever Toyota or Lexus doesn't perform well in something. I actually read this report elsewhere and you would think that people were getting paid to see Toyota "fail" as they call it. Most news about Toyota/Lexus is "spun" to make them look horrid.

Did they expect Toyota (And others) to COMPLETELY REDESIGN the car b/c the safety test was going to change during a year? Are they insane? Websites are fawing over 3 failed Toyotas? That is NOT NO"Toyota/Lexus not picked" WHAT THE FLYING MONKEY TURD?!?!?! That is the 3 tested didn't pass.

The test is evolving which is good and hopefully new vehicles made will perform better.

Seriously did Mr. Toyoda and his family steal millions of peoples cookies or something? I don't understand the complete "hate" for Toyota/Lexus based on some internet humping party scheme.

The other funny thing is Toyota/Lexus WAS NOT the only brand "left off" the list yet its the only 2 people seem to be hung up about.

As for my "personal" experience, my mother totaled her 92 929....she believed it saved her and my dad and she bought an identical 95 929....

As for me, I totaled a GS 400 with 3 passengers in the car. We all walked out with hardly a scratch.

Most cars today are pretty safe. Only a few have pretty glaring faults. Personally I have an iota of interest in most of those winners.

How about more driver safety instead of making cars heavier for the sake of "Safety".

I avoid eating the moron poog-tang pie....

Old 11-18-09, 02:23 PM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 567 Likes on 389 Posts

Driving safely would reduce from

1) Eating in car time
2) Texting/Calling
3) Reading the newspaper.

You can't really expect people to drive when they're in their car
Old 11-18-09, 02:43 PM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
I'm not picking on Overclocker here but I am so sick and tired of fanbois and a bunch of pea brains always fawning whenever Toyota or Lexus doesn't perform well in something. I actually read this report elsewhere and you would think that people were getting paid to see Toyota "fail" as they call it. Most news about Toyota/Lexus is "spun" to make them look horrid.

Did they expect Toyota (And others) to COMPLETELY REDESIGN the car b/c the safety test was going to change during a year? Are they insane? Websites are fawing over 3 failed Toyotas? That is NOT NO"Toyota/Lexus not picked" WHAT THE FLYING MONKEY TURD?!?!?! That is the 3 tested didn't pass.

The test is evolving which is good and hopefully new vehicles made will perform better.

Seriously did Mr. Toyoda and his family steal millions of peoples cookies or something? I don't understand the complete "hate" for Toyota/Lexus based on some internet humping party scheme.

The other funny thing is Toyota/Lexus WAS NOT the only brand "left off" the list yet its the only 2 people seem to be hung up about.

As for my "personal" experience, my mother totaled her 92 929....she believed it saved her and my dad and she bought an identical 95 929....

As for me, I totaled a GS 400 with 3 passengers in the car. We all walked out with hardly a scratch.

Most cars today are pretty safe. Only a few have pretty glaring faults. Personally I have an iota of interest in most of those winners.

How about more driver safety instead of making cars heavier for the sake of "Safety".

I avoid eating the moron poog-tang pie....
Old 11-18-09, 02:54 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for cutting through the bull and pointing that simple fact out about the new roof testing.

Otherwise business as usual with the premium cars including most Toyota/Lexus scoring very well in safety tests.
Old 11-18-09, 03:00 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

**** crash tests.

Ride a motorcycle.

Quick Reply: Harder Rules Equal Fewer IIHS Top Safety Picks (no Toyota or Lexus models a top pick)