Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Holiday season car commercials...

Old 11-30-09, 06:47 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by bnizzle87
i still prefer the classy lexus commercials. family-oriented and, unlike the bimmer and mb ones where they poke fun at those giant bows, a great experience upon receiving a lovely ride. but the new audi commercials with the "best lights in the neighborhood" is quite unique. the first time i saw that a few weeks back really made me think that their marketing tactic is new, fresh, and original.
Lexus' gaint bow is getting old, time for something new.
Old 11-30-09, 11:00 AM
LexFather

Finally saw an Audi X-mas commercial. I don't remember seeing any all these years. Pretty cute, showing the LED lights like its some sort of amazing discovery

Old 11-30-09, 11:30 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Lexus has a new commercial depicting a fluffy, stuffy, familiy values neighborhood with a red bow Lexus vehicles stuffed with gifts in every driveway.

I can see BMW making another commerical mimicking the Lexus one with a twist.. I predict a remake of the very same happy go lucky Lexus commercial this time with a BMW drifting down the block creating a rukus
Old 11-30-09, 01:37 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
Lexus has a new commercial depicting a fluffy, stuffy, familiy values neighborhood with a red bow Lexus vehicles stuffed with gifts in every driveway.

I can see BMW making another commerical mimicking the Lexus one with a twist.. I predict a remake of the very same happy go lucky Lexus commercial this time with a BMW drifting down the block creating a rukus
Which is appropriate considering the amount of BMW accidents posted online of people killing themselves and others thinking their BMW is Zeus's chariot.

Yup, sounds like a great ad for BMW to have.

Odd you make fun of the Lexus ad and yet the BMW ad targets Lexus.

Old 12-01-09, 07:26 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

In some ways a reminder that they also shared 1989 debuts with Lexus, the winter ad for Infiniti references its two decades of operations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynv8PzECQj0

I've mentioned before how Infiniti has highlighted certain points (JD Power Initial Quality awards, and now their 20th year) that Lexus could have also mentioned in their ads, but chooses not to (in some ways, the awards, and the past decades' history, may be taken for granted--or it is a marketing strategy to focus otherwise). Somewhat similarly, Hyundai has hyped up its North American CoTY, and JD Power APEAL results more than any mfr. I've seen. Both have taken different approaches to their ad motifs as well.
Old 12-01-09, 09:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by encore888
In some ways a reminder that they also shared 1989 debuts with Lexus, the winter ad for Infiniti references its two decades of operations:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ynv8PzECQj0

I've mentioned before how Infiniti has highlighted certain points (JD Power Initial Quality awards, and now their 20th year) that Lexus could have also mentioned in their ads, but chooses not to (in some ways, the awards, and the past decades' history, may be taken for granted--or it is a marketing strategy to focus otherwise). Somewhat similarly, Hyundai has hyped up its North American CoTY, and JD Power APEAL results more than any mfr. I've seen. Both have taken different approaches to their ad motifs as well.
Its b/c Lexus as a brand like BMW/Benz here is so strong, they are highly desirable. People want the brand, so they don't need to mention awards as often.

In contrast, companies struggling or trying to make gains like Infiniti/Hyundai need to point out specifics on why they should be considered.

I doubt most Americans even know Infiniti has been around 20 years. I think its a good ploy by them, to inform people "hey we have been here".

Old 12-06-09, 05:58 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Its b/c Lexus as a brand like BMW/Benz here is so strong, they are highly desirable. People want the brand, so they don't need to mention awards as often.

In contrast, companies struggling or trying to make gains like Infiniti/Hyundai need to point out specifics on why they should be considered.

I doubt most Americans even know Infiniti has been around 20 years. I think its a good ploy by them, to inform people "hey we have been here".
Agreed, good analysis!

Back to the red bow, Forbes has a marketing analyst column which discusses the red bow ads. I think that not only has it become a tradition, it does get buzz, both positive and negative. Here's what Forbes says:

http://www.forbes.com/2009/12/06/hol...n-adamson.html

Holiday Pitches Shouldn't Hurt Brands
Allen Adamson, 12.06.09

A case in point is a company that has been the object of a competitor's recent less-than "on-brand" marketing behavior. For several years, Lexus has used an iconic big red bow to help promote its "December to Remember" campaign, created to make it easier for those with the means to surprise a loved one with the perfect gift, purchased at a merrily lower than usual price. In my opinion this December sales event is a great example of a high-end brand holding a sale in a way commensurate with its status. The voiceover is suave and sophisticated, the ads as polished and pretty as that big red bow.

Feeling the intense pressure wrought by the economy, BMW, the competitor of note, is taking some sardonic swipes at its automotive colleague through an advertising campaign not quite in keeping with its cool and cordial brand character. Long known and recognized as a car brand of good breeding and exceptional engineering, BMW, from my point of view, is allowing the economic pinch to get the better of its good manners. While many consumers may find the Lexus big red bow annoying given the size of the average wallet, my belief is that BMW's holiday campaign tactics are uncharacteristically below the belt, even one less tightened. The company should consider whether this branding tactic fits its brand's persona, especially as the economy begins to rebound.
The joy of driving aspect is pretty good in those ads, as is the joy of ownership in the December to Remember ads, however when ads start out by taking swipes at others, it creates a different tone. Some will like it, others not.