Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Lookin' Swede: Volvo reveals Geneva-bound 2010 S60 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 10:17 AM
LexFather

Post Lookin' Swede: Volvo reveals Geneva-bound 2010 S60 sedan

http://www.autoblog.com/2009/11/10/l...010-s60-sedan/

PRESS RELEASE:

Sculpted to move you - first pictures of the all-new Volvo S60

Here are the first official pictures of the all-new Volvo S60 - sportier and more dynamic than any previous Volvo model.

"The all-new Volvo S60 is sculpted to move you. It looks and drives like no other Volvo before and the car's technology will help you to be safer and more confident behind the wheel," says Stephen Odell, President and CEO of Volvo Cars.

The Volvo S60 can be equipped with Pedestrian Detection - a groundbreaking safety feature that can detect pedestrians in front of the car and brake automatically if the driver does not react in time.

The all-new Volvo S60 is being unveiled to the public for the first time at the Geneva Motor Show in early March next year. Production of the sporty sedan model will start in early summer 2010 at the Volvo Cars plant in Ghent, Belgium.

"Customers in this segment want emotional appeal, sporty design and dynamic driving properties. The S60 has it all. We are convinced that it will be one of the strongest contenders around," says Stephen Odell.

Old 11-10-09, 10:45 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice car

HOWEVER, what worries me though (as I mentioned before) is the future of Volvo and its flawless safety record. With the brand being bought by Geely (which, along with other China brands, is known for ****-poor vehicle safety as of year 2009), I'm worried about how this will affect Volvo and their 2020 vision-mission for safety.

They stated that by year 2020, they hope that no one would be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo automobile.

Yet, with Geely as a new owner, this dream could spell into disaster. I mean seriously, as of the moment, China branded vehicles are NOT SAFE. With ****ing poor safety records they have now, the essence of safety, in which people associate with Volvo cars, could diminish.

So with that said:
What are your thoughts and opinions on this?
Old 11-10-09, 12:16 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

umm E/C class anyone in the headlights?
Old 11-10-09, 08:02 PM
MarkGS400
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is the same thing I thought to myself regarding the headlights. They do kind of look like C/E class front lights.
Old 11-10-09, 08:13 PM
LIMS407
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

wow i didnt know volvo still existed...have not seen volvo since i moved from jersey to florida which have been almost eight years...
Old 11-10-09, 08:21 PM
lex-phil
Driver

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Nice car

HOWEVER, what worries me though (as I mentioned before) is the future of Volvo and its flawless safety record. With the brand being bought by Geely (which, along with other China brands, is known for ****-poor vehicle safety as of year 2009), I'm worried about how this will affect Volvo and their 2020 vision-mission for safety.

They stated that by year 2020, they hope that no one would be killed or seriously injured in a Volvo automobile.

Yet, with Geely as a new owner, this dream could spell into disaster. I mean seriously, as of the moment, China branded vehicles are NOT SAFE. With ****ing poor safety records they have now, the essence of safety, in which people associate with Volvo cars, could diminish.

So with that said:
What are your thoughts and opinions on this?
I don't think it will a problem. Volvo, despite now a Geely brand (wow, that was awkward to say) won't let that happen. They have always put safety first and this change in ownership won't compromise that. What is more likely to happen is that Volvo's expertise in safety will trickle to Geely cars. So we'll see safer Geely, if not Chinese cars soon.

btw, is it even final? I thought Volvo's transfer to Geely is still ongoing?

Last edited by lex-phil; 11-10-09 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 08:54 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 58 Likes on 45 Posts

I hope Ford keeps Volvo. They have helped them out tons. The Taurus, MKS and I believe some of the crossovers are based off the S80 which are all very good cars.

I think this new S60 will look okay. We've seen uncovered spy pics a couple months back and it looked much better in those pics than it does in these professional pics. I really do like the new generation of Volvo interiors and cant wait to see it. Reminds me of IKEA furniture (go figure).
Old 11-10-09, 09:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I forgot Ford still owned Volvo. I do like the interiors but very little else about the cars, especially that car shown.
Old 11-11-09, 05:47 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by lims407
wow i didnt know volvo still existed...have not seen volvo since i moved from jersey to florida which have been almost eight years...
still LOTS of Volvos around in NJ
Old 11-11-09, 07:19 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

It's too bad that Volvo couldn't survive independently. They are a unique brand that, IMO, would do best alone and not as part of a portfolio for some other brand.

I see the reason in Geely buying them (cars crush like a house of cards), but it still worries me a little.
Old 11-11-09, 10:27 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah but on the other hand you can see why Geely wants Volvo. They can steal (borrow?) Volvo's expertise in the safety department to improve their own cars. This way, they can be the first chinese manufacturer to be certified around the world.

Anyway, back on topic. I think this is the best looking S60 to date. Never really liked the current one.