Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Mercedes AMG Driving Event Coverage 11/8/09 (56K slight warning)

Search this Thread

Old 11-09-09, 12:27 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Mercedes AMG Driving Event Coverage 11/8/09 (56K slight warning)

This past weekend (11/7 and 11/8) Mercedes held an AMG driving event, mainly to demonstrate their latest AMG addition, the all new W212 E63. It seemed to be a very strict invitation only event and I was very fortunate to be able to get on the list I was really looking forward to this to test out the new E63 before it hits the road later on. Lets just say I left the event with a big smile on my face =D

The event was at the Irvine El Toro field, similar to other driving events Mercedes setup a driving course to run their cars. Upon arriving I could already see that this event was on a very selected group of people. Most of the cars there were high performance vehicles, I saw a lot of AMG (E55, E63, SLK55, etc...) and there was even a SLR (Fetcher Jones dealer car). I also saw a few other BMW M cars and Porsche Turbo. Registration was very simple and straight forward, probably the fastest I have been through (just swipe your driver license and that's it). There was some refreshment and drinks, very simple and clean setup. But of course we went straight to the driving part.

One very interesting display they put up was all the old generations of SL and coupes Mercedes had, those cars were all in very prestige condition. They also put up some old advertising they had from years ago!

If I remember correct, this is the 1957 SL

I believe this was the 1962 SL

Talk about old advertising

Old 11-09-09, 12:29 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

MB put up 3 AMG for driving, the C63, SL63, and the E63. The course was substantially longer than the courses I drove through in past events (over a minute), likely possible because of the carefully controlled crowd. Of course I went ahead and drove all the vehicles through the track, what a blast it was! From the sound, the acceleration, the corners, and the braking, it was quite some experience! One big plus was that they had instructor in every car so they could tell you throughout the whole track on how to push the car. Here’s my little review on all 3 cars...

People lining up for the drives

The 3 AMG models ready to tear the track apart
Old 11-09-09, 12:30 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

C63

The C63 has a "detuned" 451hp version of the 6.2L engine (I still can't understand why they call the engine 6.3L when on paper displacement is 6200cc). The car is also lightest of all at around 3600lb. The straight line acceleration of the car is very impressive, but I could feel that it doesn't carry as much torque as the 518hp version in E63 and SL63. Surprisingly I also think the C63 sounds the "quietest" of the three, but by no means is the car quiet. When you punch it, the engine roar will catch your attention right the way, it's mean.

The handling of the car I think is the most nimble of the 3, likely due to its weight. However the steering didn’t feel as precise as I expected, and the car didn't feel as balanced. I felt that the front was quite heavy, especially during the turn-in, and when I tried to turn in more, the car actually started to oversteer and the rear drifted out noticeably. I was expecting the rear tires and suspension to hold traction better than I thought.

All 3 cars were put in sport plus mode I believe, and I felt that the C63 transmission could be a bit better. It didn't up-shift fast and hard enough under load, and the down-shift seemed to be a bit slower than the SL and E. The braking was typical AMG powerful brakes, but probably again due to the heavy front end, during hard braking the rear started to get loose a little bit.

The C63 obviously competes with cars like M3 and ISF. In my opinion, the C63 is easily the most powerful one, it's straight line pull is clearly faster. But it does feel pretty heavy on turns. In terms of handling the M3 still has the most precise steering, feel, and balance. The C63 has a tighter steering feel than the ISF, but ISF has better interior. I think the C63 has the best exhaust notes of the 3 and more powerful brakes too.

Overall at the price of around 60k, I think the car delivers plenty of power, extremely solid straight line acceleration, and powerful brakes. The tendency to oversteer can be a fun factor, but to certain extend it diminishes the driver's confidence in pushing the car.

Here’s a video of my C63 run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wifgldHarcU

So the C63 pulled a check engine light and had to go cool down a bit
Old 11-09-09, 12:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

E63

The biggest anticipation of the day was of course the all new E63, which won't be available at the dealership for another short while. There was no pricing information available on the vehicle yet, but given the previous generation, I would expect the new one to be around 90k to 100k. I was reading on the magazine yesterday that next year the carbon ceramic brakes will be available to the US, so feel free to throw in another 10k for that option (the gold calipers come in 'free"). This was the first time I drove the new E class, but the experience was very positive.

The 518hp V8 roared noticeably louder than that in the C63 when I punched it, and the car pulled a lot harder on the straight as well. And one thing I noticed quickly throughout the track was how sensitive the throttle was. A light punch on the gas pedal and the throttle opened up wide already (the car was in sport plus mode throughout). It definitely took some getting used to, but nonetheless very impressive selling point in performance cars like these.

I also noticed that the transmission worked much harder and more precise on the shifting, unlike the feeling in the C63 and also huge improvement over the previous generation E63. Up-shift was hard and instant, and down-shift was much quicker as well.

Equally impressive was the handling, I think the car handled quite a bit better than the previous E63. Car seemed more balanced on hard turns (you can see from the video, on very tight turn and the car took it very well), and there was no major oversteer at all, which usually is common on cars of this size. Very impressive on the handling part I have to say. Brakes were also very powerful, on a few turns I actually braked more than I wanted because they were so sensitive.

The E63 competition out there of course would be the M5, and I think the car fairs very well, a much closer race than what the previous E63 brought to the able. I feel that the straight line acceleration is very close between the high displacement E63 V8 vs the high rev M5 V10, with the E63 having a slight advantage. The new E63 is more balanced providing better overall handling, but I feel that the M5 still have tighter and more precise steering and handling edge. The transmission of the E63 shifts hard and fast, to certain extend I think it works better than the SMG system in the current M5.

We have yet to see how much the E63 is going to be, but assume my guess of 90-100k is correct, which is pretty much what the M5 is being offered at as well, I think it's a very tight race. This is mainly due to the improved handling of the E63, losing that heavy front feeling of the previous generation.

Here’s a video of my E63 run:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkFZ6nU77aQ

The new E63 beast

Same 518hp AMG engine found in other AMGs like the SL63

Massive 14.2-in 6 pistons front brake setup. This is the normal version. There is the carbon ceramic version with gold calipers which is currently only available in Europe due to supply. A good 10k option

The front bumper design with LEDs. Center of the grille has glass cover to protect the cruise control sensors

A massive and very usable trunk

Unique rear quad exhaust design with AMG imprint on them

Old 11-09-09, 12:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Some shots of the interior of the E63

Gauge cluster, not my favorite part. I never like the clock there

Exterior Details

Interesting side mirror with turn signals

Pretty interesting side skirt design
Old 11-09-09, 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

SL63

WOW, that's my first word, WOW... I don't know what Mercedes put in the car that's different (on paper is very similar to the E63), but this car was a blast to drive. The car has the shortest wheelbase (100in, compared to 108 of the C and 113 for the E), but it weighs at whopping 4300+lb. However, the car accelerates and handles extremely well.

The acceleration was just very hard and very fast, for some reason the torque seemed to kick in harder than the E63, the transmission worked very similar as that in the E63. On the straight away when I punched it the SL just kept on pulling. The SL also has the best exhaust notes of the 3 I think. It's louder than the E63, and also deeper tone, very aggressive and mean.

Probably due to the balance and shorter wheel base of the SL63, handling was very good (considering its massive 4300+lb body) , I was able to go through turns faster than the E63 and at the same time there was no noticeable oversteer or understeer.

Of course the car comes with a hefty 140k price tag. It's clearly a few steps above the normal SL550. The SL is also in my opinion in its own class and has really done very well. The styling of the car is near perfect, very aggressive front end and the wide, low stance of the rear make the car look very slick.

Me in the SL63 taking off:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzEVrAzeYA

Very aggressive front end

I like the wheel design with those big brakes behind

The new rear end with the diffuser, which gives the car a much more aggressive look

Old 11-09-09, 12:38 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Professional Opinion

All the instructors there were professional drivers and I was lucky enough to talk to one of them regarding the new E63, and I think it's interesting to share. He personally thinks the new E63 carries a lot of improvements over the previous generation, and the transmission is high up on the thumb-up list, being a lot more responsive and also quicker on shifting. He also thinks the car is very balanced, and for its size he loves the handling of the new E63 more than the C63, which tends to oversteer more easily. He mentioned that on the new E63, the front suspension has changed back to coils while the rear maintains air. The front suspension track is widened by 2 inches and with more negative camber, it helps the front suspension turn in a lot. The weight of the E63 was not mentioned on the bulletin board (TBD), but he told me it should be around 4170lb. For the weight, the capacity, power, balance, and handing, he said it's one heck of a vehicle.

We left the event after about 1 1/2 hour, and I was honestly thrilled by the 3 AMGs I drove. Before the new E63, I thought the C63 was one of the best among AMG lineup, more of a driver's car. But the AMG team has stepped up on the E63 as well and I think it competes with the M5 better with its handling improvement.
Old 11-09-09, 12:50 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Thanks for the great report! Good pics, vids, and writeup. The SL63 does sound fantastic.

Quick comments:
  • As I understand it, the 63 designation is a throwback to the M100 engine.
  • Having driven the C63, I strongly disagree that it has tighter steering - in fact, I found the C63 had significantly worse feedback than the F... making it unpredictable in corners.
  • I hate, hate, hate the square quad pipes on the E63 - much prefer the oval ones like current C/SL/etc.
  • That said, if I were to ever buy my 2nd AMG, it'd probably be the E63. However, that's not going to happen as the F is already borderline too heavy for my tastes.
  • Finally, I'm just glad AMG is back to being naturally aspirated.
Old 11-09-09, 01:37 AM
AM1
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i drove all of the same cars today. i felt that the C63 was the most high strung but, i feel will reward the experienced driver and those seats in the C63 are amazing, though a bit tight for me. the E63 was very balanced and really surprised me in overall response and handling. i can only imagine how it would drive with the sports package which was not in any of the cars at the event. the SL63 felt heavy, but not bad considering the SL63 has been out for quite a while. now i await the SLS at the LA auto show........
Old 11-09-09, 02:28 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Very good right up. I still can't forget my track day with the IS F. Beasts.
Old 11-09-09, 07:21 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great reviews Henry!

I am extremely jealous.

I do find it interesting that this is the second new model release that has come to Canada before you guys get it. The E63 is already on the local dealers floor, along with the S400 Hybrid.
Old 11-09-09, 08:15 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

Thanks for the reviews So which one are you getting?
Old 11-09-09, 08:59 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts

WOW !! Looks like you had a lot of FUN

Of the three, I'd take the SL63 !!

When will you take delivery ?

Last edited by Gojirra99; 11-09-09 at 10:28 AM.
Old 11-09-09, 10:17 AM
GS3Tek

Received 163 Likes on 124 Posts

Awesome write up Henry
Tired of the M3 already???

Of the three, I can't believe the C looks the best to me.

I still can't get over the ugly rear end of the new E (AMG didn't help either), new center console, and those quad pipes, but luckily the power/drive are making up for it
Old 11-09-09, 10:41 AM
mikez
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The head rest on the SL is the most uncomfortable thing ever. Sat in one and for the next 10 mins can't configure it to not hurt my neck.

Quick Reply: Mercedes AMG Driving Event Coverage 11/8/09 (56K slight warning)