Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Top 10 U.S. luxury car states

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-09, 06:30 AM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No surprises here, but this is some nice info.
Old 11-07-09, 07:10 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Why isn't GA ranked 5th and VA ranked 6th? Looking at the numbers I don't understand.

Regardless of how they got the numbers, the bulk of luxury-car sales in VA are probably in the vast and affluent D.C. suburbs where I live (with several of the highest average-income counties in the nation), and, in GA, the bulk of them are in the Atlanta area.......a vast and growing region that, as a new-car market, is getting up there with my area now.

This list, however, don't forget, is only for so-called "luxury" vehicles. When looked at as a total new-car-market for ALL new vehicles, SoCal is clearly the largest area in the country, with the D.C. suburbs in second place and the Atlanta area right behind in third.
Old 11-07-09, 08:21 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Ohio? Thats a odd one.
Old 11-07-09, 08:36 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Regardless of how they got the numbers, the bulk of luxury-car sales in VA are probably in the vast and affluent D.C. suburbs where I live (with several of the highest average-income counties in the nation), and, in GA, the bulk of them are in the Atlanta area.......a vast and growing region that, as a new-car market, is getting up there with my area now.

This list, however, don't forget, is only for so-called "luxury" vehicles. When looked at as a total new-car-market for ALL new vehicles, SoCal is clearly the largest area in the country, with the D.C. suburbs in second place and the Atlanta area right behind in third.
When looking at total sales by metro area I'm sure that Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Chicago, NY/NJ/Conn, Philly/NJ/Del would be up there too.
Old 11-07-09, 08:53 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

"Most-Popular Niche Luxury Brand"

is that like "tallest midget"?
Old 11-07-09, 12:13 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
When looking at total sales by metro area I'm sure that Dallas-Ft. Worth, Houston, Chicago, NY/NJ/Conn, Philly/NJ/Del would be up there too.
Not really. None of those areas except NYC have as high an average income that SoCal and the Washington D.C. areas have (which is a big factor in new-car purchases), and NYC has a vast public-transit and taxi system where much of its huge population doesn't own or drive private cars at all.

SoCal, DC-Metro, and Atlanta have become the country's bread-and-butter new-car markets, especially for expensive vehicles.
Old 11-07-09, 01:47 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Especially since they're about to collapse under debt and have the second highest unemployment rate in the country. But as long as they look good going down.
Haha yup that's how we roll
Old 11-07-09, 01:58 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Interesting. I knew without a doubt that California would be #1 whether it was by percentage or by total sales.

Georgia and Virginia appear to be out of order on the list though.

Owning a BMW or Lexus in Cali is so common that it's almost a cultural thing... you buy one so that you WON'T stand out from your peers as odd. That sucks though that people just buy them just because everyone else is.
Old 11-07-09, 04:47 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ok but look at the numbers...GA and VA clearly seem flip flopped.
Old 11-07-09, 05:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

"Broadly speaking, however, California, Florida and New York are the epicenters for luxury and exotic cars." No surprises here, especially in SV.
Old 11-07-09, 05:04 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Regardless of how they get the numbers, CA and SV/Bay Area/OC (especially the high income areas of the best educated folks) have bigger numbers.
Old 11-07-09, 05:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
"Most-Popular Niche Luxury Brand"

is that like "tallest midget"?
Lol
it's like winning in h.s " most likely to be unliked"

Old 11-07-09, 06:22 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Regardless of how they get the numbers, CA and SV/Bay Area/OC (especially the high income areas of the best educated folks) have bigger numbers.
No doubt CA is the highest in new-car sales. I agree. Has been for years. But the whole D.C. area has grown into some of the most incredible sprawl, traffic, and gridlock you could imagine. Most ratings have it second now only to SoCal. Fairfax/Loudoun Counties, VA, and Montgomery County, MD, both D.C. suburban counties, now have the highest-average incomes in the nation, eclipsing all of CA except Beverly Hills and Hollywood. Little wonder we trail only CA in new-car sales.
Old 11-07-09, 07:42 PM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

In total population, metro Atlanta is ranked #8 in the U.S. and DC/VA/MD/WV is ranked #9.

To a large degree actual population #'s will big a big factor in determining the total number cars sold. Luxury models will naturally be diffferent.
Old 11-07-09, 07:58 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
In total population, metro Atlanta is ranked #8 in the U.S. and DC/VA/MD/WV is ranked #9.

To a large degree actual population #'s will big a big factor in determining the total number cars sold. Luxury models will naturally be diffferent.
Population is only one factor. The income (and credit-worthiness) also has to be there for a new-car purchase. And, in places like NYC with huge mass-transit systems and a huge taxi fleet, many people simply choose not to own a car, period, regardless of their income. That is why the NYC area sells fewer cars than a number of other cities with less population.

Quick Reply: Top 10 U.S. luxury car states