Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Watchdog: Unlikely That Taxpayers Will Recover $81 Billion Given to GM & Chrysler

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-09, 10:48 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Watchdog: Unlikely That Taxpayers Will Recover $81 Billion Given to GM & Chrysler

Not really a surprise, but note the bolded area:

http://blogs.abcnews.com/theworldnew...-chrysler.html

ABC's Matt Jaffe reports from Washington:

On the same day that Ford -- the one member of Detroit’s Big Three that did not receive a taxpayer bailout -- reported a quarterly profit of nearly $1 billion, a government watchdog warned that taxpayers are unlikely to recoup all of the $81 billion the Treasury Department has invested in General Motors and Chrysler.

In a new report released Monday afternoon, the Government Accountability Office stated, “Treasury is unlikely to recover the entirety of its investment in Chrysler or GM, given that the companies’ values would have to grow substantially above what they have been in the past.”

Since December 2008, Treasury has invested $81.1 billion in the two automakers, more than 12 percent of the total funds available from the $700 billion Troubled Asset Relief Program.

The government now has a 60 percent equity stake in the new GM and a 9.85 percent stake in the new Chrysler.

At the present time, the GAO noted, “The companies still struggle to remain competitive with other automakers and to regain market share.”

But the GAO also said that Treasury’s investments in the two automakers have “contributed to the stability of Chrysler and GM”.

Treasury officials told the watchdog that they will consider all options for selling the government’s ownership stakes in the two automakers, but officials did say that the most likely plan to dispose of the GM stake is through a series of public offerings, while the most likely option for the Chrysler stake is a private sale.

The timeframe for the government to give up its stake in the automakers remains unclear.

In the past, Treasury officials have said that a public offering for GM could occur sometime in 2010, but two independent experts told the GAO that GM might not be ready for a successful IPO by 2010 because the company may not have demonstrated sufficient progress to generate investor interest by then.
In a letter to the GAO in response to the report, Duane Morse of Treasury’s Office of Financial Stability said that Treasury “will continue to monitor and evaluate the performance of Chrysler and GM with an eye toward determining the appropriate method and timing for divesting Treasury’s interests in the auto companies.”
Old 11-03-09, 10:58 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

govt fail again
Old 11-03-09, 11:33 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I love how they refer to it over and over as a "government investment". It wasn't an "investment" in the company...it was a bailout. "Here's a HUGE check...use it to pay your bills and try to get yourself out from being underwater."

If a company needs an infusion of cash to expand, that's a good "investment".

If a company needs an infusion of cash to keep their doors open, that's a bad "investment".

Even without a PhD in economics, I'm able to figure that one out.
Old 11-03-09, 11:40 AM
J.P.
Boardroom Thug

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Could have paid 1.3 Million of the jobless $30,000 for 2 years with $81 Billion dollars.
Old 11-03-09, 12:13 PM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Originally Posted by J.P.
Could have paid 1.3 Million of the jobless $30,000 for 2 years with $81 Billion dollars.
DING! DING! DING!
Old 11-03-09, 12:14 PM
Orzel
Lead Lap

And just remember, the governement that runs GM now, also wants to run your healthcare. Scary thought ain't it!
Old 11-03-09, 12:22 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yes, no surprise, unlikely, but still unknown.
Old 11-03-09, 01:22 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

man i must have missed it, i didn't even know we are "supposed" to be able to get back the money?

come on, even a moron is not that dumb to believe that
Old 11-03-09, 01:33 PM
LexFather

Sick to govt. "No **** sherlock"

Old 11-03-09, 05:04 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Government Motors should have died back in December 2008. GM is such a big burden to the U.S. taxpayers and we'll probably never see that money paid back...
Old 11-03-09, 05:56 PM
Stormwind
Racer

I don't think American tax payers got back the "loan" they gave to big 3 back in the 70s.
Old 11-03-09, 06:21 PM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Stormwind
I don't think American tax payers got back the "loan" they gave to big 3 back in the 70s.
Chrysler was the only one that received a loan back in the 70's and they paid it back early...so far Chrysler and GM has Not paid back the current loans yet and most likely won't...GM especially is a big burden to the U.S. taxpayers and shoulda died already...

Last edited by Trexus; 11-03-09 at 09:14 PM.
Old 11-03-09, 08:38 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

GM is and always will be a joke imho . They are a pathetic bunch of idiots and thieves.
Old 11-03-09, 11:45 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Who cares. what a small price to pay for the economy not falling off a cliff last fall. You all forget that the failure of GM or Chrysler would have been a complete disaster for all for you and even your other favorite car companies, something even Bush realized.
Old 11-04-09, 06:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

i guarantee we're not done with gm bailouts....

did you know giethner just gave a few more billion to theri finance arm gmac?

Quick Reply: Watchdog: Unlikely That Taxpayers Will Recover $81 Billion Given to GM & Chrysler