Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota skips mid-life cycle updates to save costs

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 11:16 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Toyota skips mid-life cycle updates to save costs

I really hope this isn't true. I don't have a subscription to Automotive News so I don't have access to the article itself, but here is a note from AutoSpies:

New models are the lifeblood of most any brand.

Just look at the sales figures for those that have aging lineups and you are almost guaranteed to see negative sales figure. Conversely, those with with newer models are reaping the rewards of their investments, typically with positive sales or at the very least holding their own.

So it came as some surprise that Automotive News is reporting today that Toyota has decided to cease all mid cycle refreshes as a cost cutting measure.

That means items such as grilles, headlamps, bumpers and interior colors will most likely cease to appear as a model ages. Basically this means a 5 to 6 year run on a model may actually go without any changes.

"So is that Camry a 2009, 2010, 2011, or even a 2012 you have there?"

Add to this fact that Toyota typically takes two to three years longer than many counterparts to refresh existing models, and we may have a recipe for disaster or brilliance. While admittedly expensive, this minor changes keep many models current until the next major revision and serve as a definition what model year is what at a glance.

By reducing minor face lifts Toyota is now banking on the original designs to be right on target with little chance of revision. Is this an added risk? Of course, But looking at the current revisions of Lexus and Toyota models right now, I bet most of us would be hard pressed to tell any differences between the model years anyway.

So is this a bold move, or one that is destine to backfire?
http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...311029921/1117
Old 11-02-09, 11:19 AM
LexFather

Hmm, lets see does Toyota acknowledge this. Crazy b/c the last Camry debuted after only 4.5 years with teh last model as they found ways to make generation changes 6 months faster. Didn't the last Accord go 6 years during a booming economy?

Personally I don't like constant changes, if the car is done right, subtle updates is all u need. Toyota has the luxury of being a "Toyota" so people will buy it.

Again, their biggest worry are the Korean companies.

Old 11-02-09, 11:29 AM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

i think the jdm aftermarket companies that make bodykits will be happy to hear this. take the 3GS for example. all kits that came out for the '06-07 model year GS don't fit the '08+ GS. talk about wasting R&D money on a model that lasts 2 years! with no refresh, aftermarket companies will not need to redesign new kits, hence being more profitable.
Old 11-02-09, 11:45 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I cant find actual proof or link to this article yet, not an Automotive News subscriber either. Autospies often does not post news, sometimes they post merely opinions and rumors.

Anyways, if this is true, I'm not sure if this is good news or not. On the one hand, it is good because it will make resale values more stable and as stated will make it easier for the aftermarket to make appearance parts.

On the other hand, this could make models look more dated in an increasingly competitive market.

IMHO, this could *only* work if as alluded to, the original design is right on target. That means Toyota would need designs that age very well, more-so than their current designs while still appealing to a broad spectrum of the market.

Overall, I have mixed feelings about this if true.
Old 11-02-09, 12:07 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

SF Examiner has a different take:

http://www.examiner.com/x-10697-SF-A...s-on-refreshes

Toyota also wants to cut back on minor midcycle model changes. For example, you buy a 2009 Toyota and then your neighbor shows up a month later with a 2010 that is sporting a different grille and a better looking interior color which then causes you to exclaim "Darn it!" Instead of such minor tweaking, Toyota wants to concentrate on more substantive changes.
Old 11-02-09, 12:10 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Toyota's mid cycle re-designs are mostly cosmetic, thats the problem. How much of a increase in sales do they expect to generate from changing a grill, headlight and tail light. Sometimes the changes are actually for the worst. They need to make mechanical changes as well as cosmetic changes in their mid cycle redesigns. Kinds of like when what the 2008 GS460 and the 2009 Audi A6 did.
Old 11-02-09, 12:19 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by encore888
That makes *a lot* more sense. Looks like another misleading headline from Autospies.

So the truth is that Toyota will make less minor mid cycle updates, and more substantial updates, which is a great move considering the strong competition.

Also this is a smart move as well:

The company also plans to make its plants more flexible, so that it can produce a larger percentage of its vehicles locally, saving the company from the whims of the dollar/yen exchange rates.
Toyota's plants are already some of the most flexible in the industry, so this is another good move to make Toyota less vulnerable to currency fluctuations.
Old 11-02-09, 01:15 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Maybe the math (economics) for mid-life cycle updates never justified it.
Old 11-02-09, 01:19 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Maybe the math (economics) for mid-life cycle updates never justified it.
I dont havetime to do the research, but it will be interesting to see how much the sales number went up after a mid-cycle refresh of cars such as the GS and the IS. I bet it is not much if any at all.
Old 11-02-09, 02:32 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hmm, so that makes the Spruce Mica color not so rare anymore if the Camry doesn't get refreshed. Now I won't be sad since I thought it was a 1 year special edition color. Good to know
Old 11-02-09, 03:07 PM
RX300-BV
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
I really hope this isn't true. I don't have a subscription to Automotive News so I don't have access to the article itself, but here is a note from AutoSpies:
http://www.autonews.com/article/2009...311029921/1117
It would bother me more if it was Honda/Acura saying they would skip mid cycle refreshes. I don't want to look at Acura beaks for the next 5-6 years.

If you want to look at a mid-cycle refresh done right, look at the Ford Fusion and its siblings. Exterior changes (sheet metal, rims), new engines, new transmissions, new interior, practically a new car. Clearly not your typical mid cycle refresh, but one done very well by Ford.
Old 11-02-09, 03:25 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Tuthfully I think the front of the refreshed fusion is quite awful and looks like a 2000% scale recreation of a gilette razor. The smaller grille on the older model was better, IMO.
Old 11-02-09, 04:17 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Toyota does need to focus on removing their very old 2.4L 4 cylinder from their lineup. I.e. Corolla, Camry hybrid, HS.
Old 11-02-09, 05:56 PM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I think mid-cycle refreshes were really just for the hardcore auto junkies who look into the subtle details of every car. Honestly, take a car like the 3 series, the last three generations have been more evolutionary than revolutionary, so to the average Joe on the road, they really couldn't tell a '99 from a '09 325 unless you put them side by side. Much can be said about the Corolla too.

Unless you're like Honda with their previous gen Accord and did a total front and rear refresh, doing little trims here and there, changing the grille shape slightly, won't matter much.

But just think of this, I remember the Chrysler minivans going through like 6 year cycles with NO CHANGE whatsoever... and look where they are now???
Old 11-02-09, 06:46 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Yep, hardly anybody will notice or care.

Quick Reply: Toyota skips mid-life cycle updates to save costs