Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Consumers Digest Magazine Names 2010 Automotive Best Buys

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-09, 07:37 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 189 Likes on 130 Posts
Default Consumers Digest Magazine Names 2010 Automotive Best Buys

Consumers Digest Magazine Names 2010 Automotive Best Buys

DEERFIELD, Ill., Nov. 2 /PRNewswire/ -- Thirty-six vehicles and 12 companion models received Best Buy ratings from Consumers Digest out of some-240 total 2010 models. The ratings, published in CD's December issue (on sale November 1), span 10 categories: Small Cars, Family Cars, Luxury Cars, Sporty Cars, Pickups, Minivans, Compact SUVs, Midsize SUVs, Full-size/Luxury SUVs and Hybrids. The Best Buys--based on behind-the-wheel assessment, safety ratings, ownership costs, warranty, price, comfort, ergonomics, styling and amenities--reflect CD's view of which 2010 vehicles offer the most value for the money.

Five "Small Cars" received Best Buys: Honda Fit, Kia Soul, Mazda3, Nissan Versa and Toyota Corolla.

Seven "Family Car" Best Buys are: Chevrolet Malibu, Ford Fusion, Ford Taurus, Honda Accord, Lincoln MKZ, Mercury Milan and Toyota Camry.

Four "Luxury Cars" received Best Buys: Buick LaCrosse, Cadillac CTS, Hyundai Genesis sedan and Lincoln MKS.

Five "Sporty Cars" Best Buys are: Chevrolet Camaro, Chevrolet Corvette, Ford Mustang, MINI Cooper/Cooper Clubman and Nissan 370Z.

Four "Pickups" and five "Minivans" earned Best Buys: Chevrolet Silverado 1500, Dodge Ram 1500, Ford F-150 and GMC Sierra 1500 are the top pickups, and Chrysler's Town & Country, Dodge's Grand Caravan, Honda's Odyssey, Kia's Sedona and Volkswagen's Routan are the best minivan values.

Six "Compact SUV" Best Buys include: Chevrolet Equinox, Ford Escape, GMC Terrain, Mazda Tribute, Mercury Mariner and Nissan Rogue. Five "Midsize SUV" Best Buys include: Buick Enclave, Chevrolet Traverse, Ford Flex, GMC Acadia and Mazda CX-7. "Full-size/Luxury SUV" Best Buys include: Cadillac SRX, Chevrolet Tahoe, GMC Yukon and Volvo XC60.

Three "Hybrid" Best Buys include: Ford Fusion Hybrid, Mercury Milan Hybrid and Toyota Prius.

"We really feel for the people across the country who are suffering through some tough times financially," says Randy Weber, CD's publisher. "We also know that some of them will have to purchase a new vehicle soon, and we hope that they take advantage of the work we have done on their behalf so that they get the most value possible out of their purchase."

Weber says Consumers Digest's editors consider automotive "value" to be based on purchase price and ownership costs relative to quality, performance and subjective factors like comfort and design.

Performance characteristics evaluated include starting and acceleration, shifting, steering, handling, braking, ride quality and fuel economy.

Best Buys awarded to U.S. automakers increased by seven for the 2010 model year compared with 2009 models--to 31 from 24 a year ago. Best Buys for vehicles from Asian automakers decreased by eight, to 14 Best Buy models from 22. Seven brands--all U.S.--saw their totals increase. Chevrolet and Ford led the way: Chevy has seven Best Buys for the 2010 model year (up from five for the 2009 model year), and Ford has seven (up from four). Buick, Cadillac, Lincoln and Mercury have an additional Best Buy versus the 2009 model year awards. Mercury has three Best Buys, the others two each..

CD's Auto Best Buys section includes photos, invoice pricing, standard features and performance traits that support the models' Best Buy selection in the collective opinion of CD's veteran automotive editors: Jim Gorzelany has served Consumers Digest readers for 22 years, including reporting on automotive categories, such as hybrids; Kevin Kelly is senior editor of Automotive Design & Production magazine; Jim Mateja writes a weekly Chicago Tribune auto column and has received numerous awards for his auto coverage; Dan Jedlicka has written about autos for 41 years and is a member of the North American Car and Truck of the Year jury.

"Few purchases are more important, or require more research, than buying a new vehicle," Weber says. "Our analyses underscore our commitment to ensure that consumers are as satisfied with their auto purchase years after making it as they were on the day they drove off the lot."

Consumers Digest, launched in 1960, is designed to inform and educate readers so they can buy with confidence, no matter the product or service. The magazine is committed to providing practical advice, factual evaluations and specific recommendations that lead consumers to exceptional values in today's complex marketplace.

SOURCE Consumers Digest Communications, LLC
Old 11-02-09, 07:44 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree with the majority of the list except the Chrysler minivans including the VW Routan. I'd steer clear of those based on their past reliability history.

LaCrosse, CTS, and Genesis all offer stunning value in their respective segments.
Old 11-02-09, 07:55 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

I like to read C. Digest's reviews. They are concise and to the point.
Old 11-02-09, 08:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

For the most part, that list is right on the money. It is a sad day when Consumers Digest is more reliable than Consumers Report.
Old 11-02-09, 08:25 AM
LexFather

Seems like a pretty solid list to me.

Old 11-02-09, 08:28 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting opinions from Consumer Digest.

Surprised the Yaris isn't in the "Small Car" category. It's really a fantastic vehicle for a very low price. It's head and shoulders above the Versa.

"Luxury Cars" should be renamed "Tier 2 Luxury Cars". None of the cars listed are Tier 1.

"Sporty Cars"...the MINI...really? It's the worst rated vehicle available as far as reliablilty and dependability. BMW admits it and thumbs their nose at their own customers. How can it possibly be included.

"Midsize SUV" - This segment is defined by the RX, still the best SUV, especially for the price in this category. Even the Venza could make an appearance here.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a report like this.
Old 11-02-09, 08:47 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
"Luxury Cars" should be renamed "Tier 2 Luxury Cars". None of the cars listed are Tier 1.

The list is for "Best Buys".. value is their primary motivator. You're pretty much not going to see any brand on their list that charges a premium price for their badge/name, and let's be honest, that's one of the main things that separates Tier 1 from Tier 2... the badge. Tier 2 providers try to provide Tier 1 quality for less money. Actually Buick and Hyundai might be considered Tier 2.5. The bang for the buck from the CTS, LaCrosse, and especially the Genesis is huge.
Old 11-02-09, 09:10 AM
rdgdawg
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Seems pretty dead on except the Vw and Dodge/Chrysler vans + Cadillac SRX.... unless it's the turbo, I've heard the standard tranny is POS...
Old 11-02-09, 09:22 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
Interesting opinions from Consumer Digest.

Surprised the Yaris isn't in the "Small Car" category. It's really a fantastic vehicle for a very low price. It's head and shoulders above the Versa.

"Sporty Cars"...the MINI...really? It's the worst rated vehicle available as far as reliablilty and dependability. BMW admits it and thumbs their nose at their own customers. How can it possibly be included.

"Midsize SUV" - This segment is defined by the RX, still the best SUV, especially for the price in this category. Even the Venza could make an appearance here.

I wouldn't put too much stock into a report like this.
I think the cars listed here are new addtions to their Best Buy list. The RX is already on it. Same for the ES.
Old 11-02-09, 09:41 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Reasonable list of recommended cars for consideration.
Old 11-02-09, 10:45 AM
Jujharoo
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

One source that I do trust.
Old 11-02-09, 12:37 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The RX is not on the list because it doesnt have a midsize luxury SUV list.
Old 11-03-09, 08:25 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Consumers Digest, unlike Consumer Reports, is a for-profit publication, so they have different methods and goals with their publication. I still find reading their point-by-point section analysis interesting. The Lexus LS was named a Best Buy for 2005 and 2008.
Old 11-03-09, 08:31 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Did lexus not make the list of top luxury picks???? WOW
Old 11-04-09, 05:41 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
Did lexus not make the list of top luxury picks???? WOW
As mentioned above some Lexus models were already on their list. I think these are new additions.

Quick Reply: Consumers Digest Magazine Names 2010 Automotive Best Buys