Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Bloomberg: VW Profit Plunges 86% on Price Cuts, Audi Sales Decline

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-09, 11:29 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Also, the s-class and the LS emphize more on ride comfort than sportiness.
Old 10-30-09, 12:28 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 85 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I wasn't commenting on the legitimacy of the thread, which I agree is very legitimate and OP posted some car-worthy news. In fact this is one of the better threads with less internet garbage to sift through.

I just said I wasn't going to get my balance sheet and P&L analysis from this source.

OK.....sorry if I misunderstood your post.
Old 10-30-09, 12:29 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
OK.....sorry if I misunderstood your post.
No problem, I probably wrote it poorly.
Old 10-30-09, 12:32 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
I am confused FKL, do you like VW or do you hate them?

Clearly, VW is a better driving car and Toyota is more relaible.
That boils down to it. I have no problem calling out any brand when I see a path I personally don't like or agree with. Case in point is VWs new adventure to create an American land yacht. I have said repeatedly that the only reason to put up with a VW's high maintenance costs and entry prices is for the way they are built and packaged and the way they drive on the road. Barring that, you have an unreliable equivalent to a geezer-Camry. Let's be honest about it, Camry has nothing without it's reliability - it's a rather cheaply built and poorly executed driving machine, especially in it's latest iteration. The 3.5 V6 model may be fast, but it's more akin to a rocket on the back of a snow sled - it's just not built for that, and the SE's stiff suspension is completely unreasonable. It's just a bad balance for anybody who wants that nice, crisp driving satisfaction. It's also proved itself to be a no nonsense pick for anybody who just wants to get from point A to B and could care less about ever looking under the hood. It's beyond reliable, and costs close to nothing to own.

Last edited by FKL; 10-30-09 at 12:36 PM.
Old 10-30-09, 12:39 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
Let's be honest about it, Camry has nothing without it's reliability - it's a rather cheaply built and poorly executed driving machine, especially in it's latest iteration.
The Camry was not always cheaply built (at one time, it was one of the best cars on the market), and even today, the overall quality is not bad except for the insultingly cheap interior trim, plastics, and *****. The 3Gen model (1992-96) was, IMO, especially impressive....probably the best Camry ever built.
Old 10-30-09, 02:42 PM
intrinsic
Pole Position

let vw give me a bugatti or lambo.... they have my vote!
Old 10-30-09, 03:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Also, the s-class and the LS emphize more on ride comfort than sportiness.
Yes, which helps insure their success in the premium large sport sedan market. These are expensive large sedans (with high performance capabilities compared to mundane top selling regular sedans), not sports cars.
Old 10-30-09, 11:17 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Old 11-01-09, 11:19 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

^VW Polo. Nice car - Had one on a trip to Frankfurt last year. Little car is so refined it's unbelievable! Really, really makes cars like the Honda fit feel like toys to me. The US market now has another nice premium small car - The Ford Fiesta.
Old 11-01-09, 01:05 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FKL
^VW Polo. Nice car - Had one on a trip to Frankfurt last year. Little car is so refined it's unbelievable! Really, really makes cars like the Honda fit feel like toys to me. The US market now has another nice premium small car - The Ford Fiesta.

Has the Fiesta been released yet in the U.S.? I thought it was coming sometime next year. I haven't seen any.....but I have review requests for it when it is.
Old 11-01-09, 06:27 PM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

I saw a few driving around in Berkeley last month. There were three of them and they had graphics on the side touting the Fiesta. They looked like VERY upscale cars from a distance as well - projector beam headlamps, nice wheels, and generally just had that premium euro-look to them. Can't wait to drive one.
Old 11-01-09, 07:23 PM
FinalBurst
Driver

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Oh was that the point.

Agreed Cayenne was a cash cow in it's time, some very nice badge-engineering.

Panamera's sales success remains to be seen. Is it selling like hotcakes so far?
What badge-engineering?
Using a platform that was co-developed by VW and Porsche which resulted in three very different cars is not badge-engineering.
Old 11-01-09, 07:28 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by FinalBurst
What badge-engineering?
Using a platform that was co-developed by VW and Porsche which resulted in three very different cars is not badge-engineering.
This is correct. Porsche got a great deal, VW invested in all of the development, Porsche then took the Tourag and added their expertise to turn it into a Porsche. Its not some VW rebadge, just look at the engines, suspension, brakes, interiors, etc.

Old 11-01-09, 09:19 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Thanks for the clarification. As a frequent Porsche owner, I was never impressed with either SUV. BothTouregs and Cayennes are rapidly nearing the end of useful lives.
Old 11-02-09, 05:38 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by FKL
That boils down to it. I have no problem calling out any brand when I see a path I personally don't like or agree with. Case in point is VWs new adventure to create an American land yacht. I have said repeatedly that the only reason to put up with a VW's high maintenance costs and entry prices is for the way they are built and packaged and the way they drive on the road. Barring that, you have an unreliable equivalent to a geezer-Camry. Let's be honest about it, Camry has nothing without it's reliability - it's a rather cheaply built and poorly executed driving machine, especially in it's latest iteration. The 3.5 V6 model may be fast, but it's more akin to a rocket on the back of a snow sled - it's just not built for that, and the SE's stiff suspension is completely unreasonable. It's just a bad balance for anybody who wants that nice, crisp driving satisfaction. It's also proved itself to be a no nonsense pick for anybody who just wants to get from point A to B and could care less about ever looking under the hood. It's beyond reliable, and costs close to nothing to own.
As extreme as your point of view is, I must say I agree with it. I look at a 2010 Prius over the weekend with a family member and I would not believe hoe cheap the ineterior have gotten. The older gen prius already has a cheap interior, but it looks like they found more ways to go cheap in the new Prius. One day, Toyota is going to have to put some decent interial material in their cars and just bite the bullet and raise the price. Cost cutting year after year will eventualy catch up with them.
On your other point of VW's new adventure to create an American land yacht. I really think VW, just like Toyota, knows where their bread and butter is. VW may make a few models that are has a softer ride, but it will not be across their whole lineup.

Quick Reply: Bloomberg: VW Profit Plunges 86% on Price Cuts, Audi Sales Decline