Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

REPORT: Utah DoT admits higher speed limits has worked out to less speeding

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-09, 07:07 AM
FisforFast
F is for Fraud

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
What you need is a lighter right foot. Even radar detectors won't help with instant-on radar......there, they got you.
+1. A radar detector won't do you any good going at almost 90 mph.
Old 10-28-09, 07:56 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What you need is a lighter right foot. Even radar detectors won't help with instant-on radar......there, they got you.
Agreed a lighter foot always helps, so does staying home.

But just to friendly update you on some facts regarding instant-on, since you obviously don't have any actual recent experience using detectors (and we want CL members to have accurate info, not just common internet chatter/hearsay).

1. Instant-on KA radar is most commonly used and detectors pick it up at considerable distances on instant-on radar being used on cars ahead of you.

2. Often the patrols in CA leave instant-on in an "on-mode" at all times, making detection especially easy, essentially the radar detector becomes a cop detector within a 1/2 mile range.

Again, safe speed for conditions regardless of speed limits is always the rule, at least in CA where we have safe speed laws.
Old 10-28-09, 08:58 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Agreed a lighter foot always helps, so does staying home.
If you do the former, you often won't have to do the latter.

but just to friendly update you on some facts regarding instant-on, since you obviously don't have any actual recent experience using detectors (and we want CL members to have accurate info, not just common internet chatter/hearsay).

1. Instant-on KA radar is most commonly used and detectors pick it up at considerable distances on instant-on radar being used on cars ahead of you.

2. Often the patrols in CA leave instant-on in an "on-mode" at all times, making detection especially easy, essentially the radar detector becomes a cop detector within a 1/2 mile range.
I never claimed to be a radar-detector expert. In fact, they are illegal in VA and DC., where I live. But much of what I said was simple common sense, which is not necessarily just "Internet Hearsay". And, I was in the FAA, a pilot for years, and do know somethig about radar and transponders in general. Instant-on radar, however, can and will get you under some circumstances, even if there is traffic in front of you...sometimes a big semi tractor-trailer ahead or billboard will block out the signals for awhile, as they are basically line-of-sight from the radar gun/transmitter. Then, when they tag you, you're it.

Radar is not all K/KA band either. Sometimes X-band is used, but it is less common.

Again, safe speed for conditions regardless of speed limits is always the rule, at least in CA where we have safe speed laws.
Agreed. And while there are some exceptions (and I understand that) traffic engineers often set speed limits based on what they consider safe for the road in dry conditions. They use many factors in determining that speed (unless, of course, you have Federal speed limits like you did in the 70s and 80s that overrule them).
Old 10-28-09, 09:26 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I never claimed to be a radar-detector expert.

Agreed. And while there are some exceptions (and I understand that) traffic engineers often set speed limits based on what they consider safe for the road in dry conditions. They use many factors in determining that speed (unless, of course, you have Federal speed limits like you did in the 70s and 80s that overrule them).
Agreed and obvious to many.

Exactly the point, safe speed means safe speed for conditions. In some foul weather conditions, the posted speed limit is far in excess of what's considered safe and the safe speed laws in CA take that into account.

In CA since we are digressing to the good old days, Federal 55mph speed limits were poorly enforced, and the Fed government made idle threats about pulling federal funds, it was a joke, thankfully now states set speed limits.
Old 10-28-09, 09:39 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

I
Radar is not all K/KA band either. Sometimes X-band is used, but it is less common.

In the spirit of correcting others which seems to be common on CHIT CHAT:

Again, to avoid misinformation for automotive CL users/posters, instant-on is KA as I stated earlier, not X-band.

Good detectors identify various radar types (X, K/KA).
Old 10-28-09, 03:55 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
In CA since we are digressing to the good old days, Federal 55mph speed limits were poorly enforced, and the Fed government made idle threats about pulling federal funds, it was a joke, thankfully now states set speed limits.
Speed limits, though, for the most part, no matter where you set them, are unenforceable for the vast majority of motorists, especially in areas of heavy traffic on Interstates that is not congested enough to slow it down. For every car that a cop pulls over (or radar/laser/VASCAR gets), there are thousands that don't get caught. From what I have seen, there is only one truly effective speed-enforcement device......cameras.......and even they have a number of practical limitations.

The truth about today's traffic is that, in many areas, there are simply too many cars for the available number of cops and law-enforcement devices. Some scofflaws will be caught (especially with cameras), but most simply won't. That is not my opinion.....that is simply a fact; like it or not. And even cameras only are a fine, not points, because they usually can't tell who is driving.
Old 10-28-09, 04:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Speed limits, though, for the most part, no matter where you set them, are unenforceable for the vast majority of motorists, especially in areas of heavy traffic on Interstates that is not congested enough to slow it down. For every car that a cop pulls over (or radar/laser/VASCAR gets), there are thousands that don't get caught. From what I have seen, there is only one truly effective speed-enforcement device......cameras.......and even they have a number of practical limitations.

The truth about today's traffic is that, in many areas, there are simply too many cars for the available number of cops and law-enforcement devices. Some scofflaws will be caught (especially with cameras), but most simply won't. That is not my opinion.....that is simply a fact; like it or not. And even cameras only are a fine, not points, because they usually can't tell who is driving.
Yes, I've had the same observations over the years too.

The largest city (SJ) in northern CA is in the process of removing all speed cameras for reasons mentioned as well as other legal reasons too.
Old 10-29-09, 08:20 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

From what I have seen, there is only one truly effective speed-enforcement device......cameras.......and even they have a number of practical limitations.
Speaking of which, I only support cameras in school or more populated residential zones, as they've been popping up more frequently as fixed or mobile units here in MD and other areas of the tri-state.

In almost all other areas, these cameras mainly serve to indirectly cause traffic, as drivers slow well below the posted speed limit, many times when the same driver was previously moving at an acceptable rate of speed. If anything, it simply highlights the fact that most drivers don't pay attention to speed limits, much at all, and instead drive at a rate of speed they think is reasonable, casually gauged by the vehicles around them.

Another problem, confirmed by a phone call I had with the local city police chief, is that these cameras are known to only slow drivers within the photo distance, where afterwards, they simply speed up again. I really do find their usefulness questionable, outside of the aforementioned zones.