Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Subaru 086a coupe (FT-86) to be RWD and not available in Australia

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-09, 12:28 PM
rotaryrock
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Subaru 086a coupe (FT-86) to be RWD and not available in Australia

Just picked this off http://www.ft86club.com

According to Subaru Australia managing director Nick Senior following the unveiling of the Toyota FT-86 at the Tokyo Motor Show, currently under way...

“There are elements of that car (FT-86) that don’t fit with our Subaru DNA in Australia,” Senior said. “We understand that car is a global car and we will at sometime have to sit down and think about how it fits in terms of all-wheel drive and some other things.

“But where I sit today it doesn’t fit and it would be a brave decision to take it. At the moment I would say we are unlikely to see it as a Subaru.

“The obvious issue is it is rear-wheel drive and quite plainly no-one is building an all-wheel-drive version at the moment so there is one key thing.

“We have hung our hats on all-wheel drive for nearly 12 years now, so why would we step away from something that has been ultra-successful for us and given us the highest share of any major Subaru distributorship in the world?”

So it sounds like:
1) there's no Subaru AWD version in the works right now
2) if there's no Subaru AWD version then Australian fans won't see any subaru version of this car.

To me this is the first official indication from Subaru that this will be a RWD coupe for them. Can't believe they're actually releasing a non-AWD car
Old 10-22-09, 01:06 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What about NA? Subarus here are all AWD too. Would introducing the FT-86 version be a step away from the marketing that Subaru is the only manufacturer with AWD standard across their entire lineup?
Old 10-22-09, 03:15 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't see Subaru selling anything 2WD in America. And if they did they would be more likely to sell a FWD Impreza than a RWD coupe. Subaru buyers for the most part don't want RWD, they are AWD fans for a reason.
Old 10-22-09, 03:36 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I don't see Subaru selling anything 2WD in America. And if they did they would be more likely to sell a FWD Impreza than a RWD coupe. Subaru buyers for the most part don't want RWD, they are AWD fans for a reason.
depending on where they want to take the Subaru brand.

In Europe they have been selling 2WD cars forever, same as in Japan I guess.
In fact, there was an interview during Legacy introduction in UK where UK brand manager said that all future Subarus will be more mainstream as they have to compete with other brands. It make sense because you have to sell some cars in order to justify all the R&D costs.