Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Panorama glass roof on the GS

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-09, 01:27 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by encore888
I agree, I'd love to see the panoramic roof added to the GS and LS as an option!!! Also perhaps different variations in the types of roofs.

Also it's worth mentioning that such a roof has been offered on the 2RX, and 3RX, but it's quite rare in the U.S. I personally have only seen the glass roof 2RX once in SoCal.

3RX panoramic roof:

i have not seen a panoramic roof on the 3RX here in north america, only on lexus website for the middle east. i don't think panoramic roof is an option for the 3RX in usa and canada.
Old 10-19-09, 01:41 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by rominl
it's definitely a nice to have feature, more on the "gadget" side to attract buyers
It also gives the car an airy feel, I really am a fan of it. I don't think anyone will notice the .1 second you lost in performance.

It simply needs to be offered, I mean Corollas, Civics etc all have sunroofs. I would like to see more glass.

Old 10-19-09, 03:53 PM
HomieG
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We've got a panny roof on our '98 SL500. It's great. Really differentiates the car, and it a nice option to have.
Old 10-19-09, 04:32 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Would be a cool option...
Old 10-19-09, 05:26 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
I've noticed a few ES models with the option, certainly looks good from the outside. But does it do much in giving passengers a bigger opening with the roof opened up?
What you get is an additional sun roof (fixed) in the rear seat area with sliding sun shades like the one in front. On a gloomy day, it really increases the light in the car.
Steve
Old 10-19-09, 06:12 PM
LexFather

In the Benz

Ferrari

Old 10-19-09, 06:40 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think it really makes the car feel special and even a bit futuristic. I have been is a benz with the panaramic style roof and I was blown away. I really hope the japanese go wild with this feature on their cars ion the future. In a market where the non motor technology seems to be slowing down in its development features like this may help to draw in customers.
Old 10-19-09, 07:05 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

The closest the GS has gotten to a panoramic roof is the LF-S concept:

Originally Posted by Stormforge
i have not seen a panoramic roof on the 3RX here in north america, only on lexus website for the middle east. i don't think panoramic roof is an option for the 3RX in usa and canada.
Indeed, also that 3RX pic is from Lexus.jp, so it's in Japan as well.
Old 10-19-09, 07:13 PM
GFerg
Speaks French in Russian

Received 57 Likes on 44 Posts

I dont recall seeing a 2RX with a Pano roof at all. Im assuming it sold very poorly here and decided to not offer it in the states? Or maybe safety reasons?
Old 10-19-09, 07:19 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by GFerg
I dont recall seeing a 2RX with a Pano roof at all. Im assuming it sold very poorly here and decided to not offer it in the states? Or maybe safety reasons?
The discussion on the 2RX roof is here:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rx-...amic-roof.html

Apparently, the factory which made that roof in Japan did not have the capacity to build large quantities of this spec, instead being shifted to RX 400h production.

Old 10-19-09, 11:51 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like my IS with just one sunroof, keeps the roof lines clean. but for big luxo-barges like the s-class and LS, I could see it working well.
Old 10-20-09, 01:07 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

The one on the Scion, does it not open up all the way? On most small coupes they just tilt up a little. If that's the case, I think it's a waste.

Back to the Lexus pano question... I too think they look great, but they are expensive to produce and are a source for squeaks and rattles. If one has followed longterm car testing over the last ten years, it would be apparent many start squeaking over time.
Old 10-20-09, 02:32 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Indeed, the reliability issue is one that is key, particularly if they are confident to put it on a Lexus. I'm guessing that the ES got it after a related (I'm assuming) version was first used on the Scion tC for a number of years. For the LS or GS, I'd think of a closed panoramic roof like on the S-Class.
Old 10-20-09, 06:27 AM
Koma

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
The one on the Scion, does it not open up all the way? On most small coupes they just tilt up a little. If that's the case, I think it's a waste.

Back to the Lexus pano question... I too think they look great, but they are expensive to produce and are a source for squeaks and rattles. If one has followed longterm car testing over the last ten years, it would be apparent many start squeaking over time.
The Scion tC has a fixed rear glass and full sunroof front glass. The rear has a sunshade and that's about it. The front tilts and moves fully rearward.
Old 10-20-09, 11:56 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The ES 350 panoramic roof:

The Scion tC roof:

Quick Reply: Panorama glass roof on the GS