Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.
View Poll Results: Is Clarkson right?
Yup, Cock a doodle dooooooo Audi!
46.51%
No he is wrong
4.65%
BMW still holds the crown
46.51%
I hate Clarkson
2.33%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Jeremy Clarkson And His Distaste For Audi Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-09, 12:42 PM
LexFather

Default Jeremy Clarkson And His Distaste For Audi Drivers

Jeremy Clarkson And His Distaste For Audi Drivers

Recently, the most famous automotive journalist in the world, Jeremy Clarkson, has taken a step back in his fight against the “*****” of Britain – the BMW drivers. Jeremy? Take a step back? Only so he could take a step forward at the new ***** of Britain – Audi drivers.
http://www.carthrottle.com/jeremy-cl...-audi-drivers/

In his view, ***** have now migrated to the four-ringed brand. The foundation for this argument? Audi is now the “it” car. With the very hip LED day-time running lights and Walter da Silva’s pen, Audi has become a design and style icon. You get noticed when you roll up in an S5. Plain and simple. In the UK, where the 3-series is one of the top 10 selling models in the whole country, driving a BMW just doesn’t get you noticed anymore. And there’s nothing a **** hates more than not being noticed. This is why he (not usually she) wears Ed Hardy clothing, has a LV wallet, and wears more hair product in one day than most people use in a month.

As much as I like Jeremy’s contrarian, ignorant, and sarcastic style, disagreeing with him makes me happier than agreeing with him does. Unfortunately, my experience here in Canada hasn’t been as dissimilar as I might have hoped. So many people that I know who are shallow, materialistic, and use too much hair product now long after Ingolstadt’s latest. It’s gotten so bad that I wouldn’t be caught dead in an Audi right now. Not that Audis are any better here…

The sad reality in Canada, especially in my disturbingly Northern neck of the woods, is that it’s very difficult not to look like a **** to someone. Driving a CDN $70,000 German supersaloon makes it look like you’re too good for everyone else. Driving a similarly priced diesel pick-up truck makes you look like a young idiot with too much money from working in the oil patch. Heck, even driving a base 323i is seen as being a little too flash. Here, you basically have to drive something that most people know nothing about. Like a Mazdaspeed3, Volvo C30 T5, or a VW Phaeton, for example.

Really, it’s not that tough though, people don’t really know their cars here – this is Truck Country.

Getting back, if ***** are now driving Audis in Britain, specifically RS4s from what I understand, that would make it safe for Britain’s in-the-know to drive M3s again. The E9X M3 is brilliantly balanced and doesn’t look terribly different from your run of the mill 3er. This makes the M3 the car to have in the UK if you want a well-made, fast car but you don’t want to shout it out at the top of your lungs, like ***** are wanting to do.

I guess there are worse things in the world than being relegated to an M3. In Canada, we’ll just stick with our sleepers.

Last edited by LexFather; 10-09-09 at 02:10 PM.

Old 10-09-09, 12:46 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Audi is gaining sales and marketshare worldwide at a faster rate than BMW. They are definitely the "it" brand at the moment. In a way, they are what BMW was years ago.
Old 10-09-09, 01:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Where did this article come from, Mike? You didn't include a web-link.........and I assume that's not your own writing, since the author seems to be from Canada.

Having said that, though, Audi is indeed becoming a "slick" brand (with superb fit/finish, as noted in my ecent S4 review) though I still think that, in general, BMW is still the "Ultimate Driving Machine" when it comes to a driver-centered chassis.
Old 10-09-09, 02:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Where did this article come from, Mike? You didn't include a web-link.........and I assume that's not your own writing, since the author seems to be from Canada.

Having said that, though, Audi is indeed becoming a "slick" brand (with superb fit/finish, as noted in my ecent S4 review) though I still think that, in general, BMW is still the "Ultimate Driving Machine" when it comes to a driver-centered chassis.
http://www.carthrottle.com/jeremy-cl...-audi-drivers/

Saw it on another forum...pretty interesting read to me.....maybe our Canadians can chime in also

Old 10-09-09, 02:14 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Well being in Canada, I must definitely agree with this article. I see it almost every day on the roads.
Old 10-09-09, 02:21 PM
lex-phil
Driver

^ things are different on my side imo. I still think BMW drivers take the crown for this one.

I'm biased though, since I drive an Audi.
Old 10-09-09, 02:21 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by lex-phil
^ things are different on my side imo. I still think BMW drivers take the crown for this one.

I'm biased though, since I drive an Audi.
hahahahahah

Old 10-09-09, 04:08 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It certainly sounds like the author is from my neck of the woods. The Prairie landscape is dominated by F350's and 3500's.

As to the actual topic of the article....I don't disagree with him at all.
Civic drivers hold the crown, but they are followed very closely by the Audi drivers. BMW drivers aren't nearly as bad around here.
Old 10-09-09, 08:00 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

It's not fully here yet, but I will say most aholes will be driving Audis, Why it is the lights!!, even the daytime ones look evil and have a curve, and now they are coming in LEDS! Also, The Audi advertising lately gives off this kind of I am better then you attitude as well.
Old 10-09-09, 10:37 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

i think bmw drivers still take it.
Old 10-10-09, 06:14 AM
G Star
Lexus Test Driver

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

lol don't care, I still like the S5 and I'm still discussing between it and an F for my next ride.
Old 10-10-09, 09:52 AM
SurfsUP
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I too have a distaste for these "Ultimate drivers". BMW and Audi drivers are about even. Vegas is overrun by them, everywhere you look they're there. A large majority of them are driven by young *****, male and female.

Every time I'm in my NSX, I always have one of these "Ultimate drivers" trying to show off. Quite a few try to pick a race with me, but soon back off when they see me take off when the boost kicks in.
Old 10-10-09, 11:10 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I wonder, when they use the word "****" in Britain, do they use it to reference a male chicken or something else?

Here in the States most people probably aren't even aware that "****" is a male chicken.
Old 10-12-09, 11:43 AM
LexFather

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...show-offs.html

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
http://www.drive.com.au/Editorial/Ar...eID=58470&vf=2

Audi is resigned to a certain amount of dilution of its brand as its sales grow around the world and the cars attract the attention of "show-offs".

Alone among the prestige brands, Audi is continuing to grow as it adds models to its range, and Australia is leading the the charge towards the company's 2015 sales target of 1.5million vehicles.

Mercedes-Benz and BMW have already reached the point at which their brands are recognised and coveted by people who just want to drive a well-known brand, rather than by people who appreciate the engineering.

"Audi's market is changing," Audi Australia product planner Immo Buschmann said at the launch of the RS6 and S3 Sportback.

"In the past Audi's customers were mainly people in the know, people who bought the cars for their advanced technology."

"Now we are moving out to more show-offey people."

Market research showed Audi customers, while well-educated, tended to earn less than customers of the other German prestige brands.

"They make less money, are very self-confident and they are smarter - because they buy Audis," he said.

Mr Buschmann said the Audi aim of selling 1.5 million vehicles in 2015 meant the brand would gradually lose its niche position.

"We will start to attract people who will flaunt the badge.

"If we become too popular, then maybe smart people will start to drift away.

"However, if we stay true to our values and keep managing the growth, maybe it won't happen."

The flow of new products and the growing credibility of the Audi brand have allowed the Volkswagen subsidiary to increase sales by 30% this year.

And the company is confident it can keep growing through the world financial crisis.

"By the end of September we had equalled our 2007 sales, which were a record," said communications manager Anna Burgdorf.

"October is also on target and will be another strong month despite the tough times on the world economic front."

"Australia is the number one growth market for Audi around the world," she said.

Audi Australia has not cut the orders it has placed with Audi factories in Europe, despite the fact the increase in the luxury car tax and uncertainty on world financial markets had savaged luxury car sales in Australia since July.

But, while Mr Buschmann said there may be some effect on Audi sales, he believed the world financial crisis may help Audi and its Australian customers.

"There are some cars we always wanted to get more of but could not.

"We could sell more Q7s in Australia and, with a drop in demand in the US, we will be able to get more now.

"We can use more Q7s in Australia and more A5s," he said.

Old 10-12-09, 12:01 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
I wonder, when they use the word "****" in Britain, do they use it to reference a male chicken or something else?
In Britain, "****" can also sometimes refer to a valve or filler-system, such as a petrol (gasoline) ****.

Here in the States most people probably aren't even aware that "****" is a male chicken.
Yes, even in America, most people know it means a rooster.

Quick Reply: Jeremy Clarkson And His Distaste For Audi Drivers