Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Review: 2010 Audi S4

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-09, 05:45 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts
Default Review: 2010 Audi S4

By CL member request, a Review of the 2010 Audi S4.

http://www.audiusa.com/us/brand/en/models/s4_sedan.html

In a Nutshell: A very competent sports sedan, superbly finished inside and out, but not quite a BMW in the steering department.

I reviewed the Audi S5 coupe last December for my Annual Special Holiday Review, and, recently received a CL member-request for an S4 review. A number of things have changed on the S4/S5 series since last year, including a new supercharged V6 instead of the former V8. So, I felt that a whole new review was in order, instead of just a general update. S4 and S5 models are not readily in stock in most of the local Audi shops, primarily because of dealer allocation, and because they don't sell in the same numbers as the regular A4/A5 models. Audi plans to open 3 new dealerships in the Northern Virginia D.C suburbs where I live, which will help increase the choice.

The A4 line, of course, has been in the American market for some years now, and has proven itself rather popular by upscale-Euro-car standards. It has developed a reputation for Quattro all-wheel-drive traction in bad weather, and, in some cases, an alternative to the BMW 3-series and Mercedes C-Class for those who want entry-level German luxury. Audi, along with Subaru, and the AMC Eagle cars of the early 1980's, were the companies that introduced and perfected the car-based AWD systems in such widespread use today. The A4 has served, more or less, as an upscale version of VW's AWD 4Motion Passat (and, indeed, in the past, the A4 and Passat shared common platforms). That is not the case with the new 2010 A4, as it uses a different VW/Audi platform now.

And, of course, Audi introduced the S4 and RS4 lines to keep up and compete with upper-level and M versions of BMW's 3-series, and the C-Class Mercedes AMG models. Audi, however, differs from both BMW and Mercedes in that it markets distinctly two different lines of official high-performance products (S and RS), where BMW and Mercedes offer just one line each (M and AMG).

For 2010, the A4 line, in the American market, comes in two basic versions, a 4-door sedan and a 5-door wagon Avant......trim lines are now represented by packages rather than official trim levels. Only one engine is now offered, the ubiquitous (and impressive) 2.0 turbo four, with 211 HP and 258 ft-lbs. of torque (the former 3.2L VR6 apparantly dropped). Three transmissions are offered....a CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission) with Front-wheel-drive, A six-speed manual with Quattro AWD, and the Tiptronic automatic with Quattro. (The CVT is reportedly the same unit that Subaru is using in the new 2.5L Legacy/Outback). The S4 line comes in only one body style, the 4-door sedan (a shame, since the more versatile S4 Avant is offered in Europe). One engine is offered in the S4; a new 3.0L Supercharged V6 that takes the place of the former 4.2L V8, yet still keeps the same HP/torque ratings.....333 HP and 325 ft-lbs. of torque. Quattro AWD is standard on the S4. Two transmissions are offered; a conventional 6-speed, and the superb S-Tronic (which used to be called the DSG...Direct-Shift-Gearbox). The S-Tronic differs from the Tiptronic in that the Tiptronic is just a conventional torque-converter automatic, where the S-Stronic is a more slick and efficient dual-clutch auto-manual that, IMO, is one of the best transmissions ever designed from a driver-centered point of view. I'm glad to see it still offered on the S4, as Audi seems to be restricting American-market use of the S-Tronic on more and more of its models, on the excuse that it is too complex a unit and too difficult to service/repair.

A local Audi shop, today, had two S4 models in stock....a 6-speed manual and S-Tronic, and invited me up for a look. By the time I got there, the S-Tronic was no longer available.....a potential customer was already bargaining on it (which was not surprising, as the S-Tronic really sells itself). But a beautiful bright-electric one with the 6-speed manual was still available (Audi really has some stunning paint jobs), so I checked engine fluids and tire pressures, took out my pencil and note-pad, and got to work. It was probably a good thing that I ended up with the 6-speed manual version, as I had already had experience with several VW/Audi products with the DSG/S-Tronic, and needed to sample the manual anyway. My test car listed at just over 52k, a pricey sum indeed, but not bad when you consider what you get for it, the standard AWD, and the superb quality and fit/finish of the materials used, which Audi is known for, although the quality of Audi electronics is not always up to par.

And, of course.............the details:

Model Reviewed: 2010 Audi S4 6-speed Manual

Base Price: $45,900

Options:

NAV Package: $2500

Sprint Blue Pearl Effect Paint: $475

Silk Napa Two-Tone Leather Seats: $1000

Premium Sound System: $850

Carbon-Fiber Inlays: $500

Destination/Freight: $825

List Price as Reviewed: $52,050

Drivetrain: Quattro AWD, Longitudional-mounted 3.0L Supercharged DOHC, VVTi V6, 333 HP @ 5500-7000 RPM, Torque, 325 Ft-lbs. @ 2900-5300 RPM,
6-speed manual transmission.

EPA Mileage Rating: 18 City, 27 Highway (Pretty good for an AWD high-performance car)

Exterior Color: Sprint Blue Pearl

Interior: Black/Silver 2-Tone Leather with carbon Fiber trim.

PLUSSES:

Reasonably priced for its content.

Responsive, torquey, supercharged V6.

Well-chosen gear ratos.

Smooth, refined clutch.

Good ride/handling combination.

Flat cornering with little body roll.

Good road and wind-noise isolation.

Standard Quattro AWD traction.

Relatively good EPA figures for a high-performance AWD car.

Firm, responsive brakes and pedal.

Fairly good underhood layout.

High-quality, well-finished exterior sheet metal.

Superb exterior trim quality.

Mirror-smooth paint job.

Nice, bright paint-color options.

Well-finished cargo area/trunk.

Rear seat pass-through for long, narrow items.

Digital and analog speedometer.

Clear, legible primary gauges.

Superb interior trim and materials.

Smooth, excellent, rich-feeling two-tone seat leather.

Excellent stereo sound quality.

Supportive front seats.

NUmerous seat/color/trim combinations.

MINUSES:

Questionable reliability for electronics.

4/50 Drivetrain/Bumper-to-bumper warranty unimpressive for a luxury nameplate.

Difficult, complex MMI/NAV/stereo controls.

Steering response/feel OK, but not comparable to BMW 3-series.

Somewhat vague-feeling shift linkage.

Extra-cost paint colors, like on many other European cars.

Temporary spare tire.

Relatively difficult front seat entry/exit for large, heavy persons.

Tight rear-seat headroom.

Twin, cheapish-feeling plastic stalks on left side of steering column.

Somewhat awkward electronic parking-brake tab.

Oversized Audi grille too large, IMO.

U.S.- market S4 not available in Avant wagon version like the A4.

EXTERIOR:

Walking up to the S4, you could say that it what is called a "sleeper" high-performance car, with little difference from its more sedate A4 brother, unless, of course, you get one of the ultra-bright blue, red, or yellow shades that stand out. With the exception of the red/silver "S4" badging and a slight difference in wheels and lower-body fairings, there is very little difference on the outside between an A4 sedan and S4. Both, IMO, are quite handsome in their basic styling, though I've never liked the newer, oversized Audi buck-tooth grille....IMO, they should go back to the older, smaller ones. Audi really knows how to paint a car.....the finish, regardless of color, is mirror-smooth, even, and glossy, ranking up with even the best Lexus paint jobs.. And, though of course the S4 has more brighter-color options, you don't have to put up with mostly funeral-home shades even on the base A4 either....the A4 offers some nice brighter tones. My only complaint with the paint jobs was the same as with many European-designed cars....the extra-cost for some paint colors; in this case, $475 for the Sprint Blue.

The sheet metal itself was as impressive as the paint.....solid, well-finished, and smoothed to perfection. All four doors, hood, and trunk lid felt and closed solidly and securely. The twin outside mirrors had durable, thick housings, snap/swived/locked well, and had a stunning low-gloss brushed-chrome finish. The ground clearance, under the lower-body fairings, was not as low as with some competitors, so the S4, with its Quattro AWD, could get through some reasonably deep snowstorms. However, such is often the case with high-performance cars, the S4 somes standard with summer-only, dry-pavement, high-performance tires, so, if you plan to drive it much in bad weather, a good set of rain or snow tires may need to be considered. All of the exterior trim was solid, well-done and well-finished....Audi definitely does not cut any corners when it comes to the surface appearance and quality of their cars.

UNDERHOOD:

Open the solid hood, and a large, single gas-strut, on the right side, holds it up for you....no cheap prop-rods here. Underneath the hood, of course, is an insulation pad to keep noise level down under the hood, although some exhaust noise, in sport-sedan tradition, can be heard......more on that later. The basic underhood layout is fairly good, but not what I would call excellent. The 3.0L supercharged V6, mounted longitudionally (fore-aft) fits in very tightly, with little space to reach things around the sides or back, but the plastic engine cover is small enough that it does not block as much of the upper-engine access as the covers do in many luxury/upscale cars. There does not seeem to be much space around the sides of the engine for cooling air to flow or circulate (a factor, along with the engine coolant, in keeping underhood temperatures down), but I didn't notice any problems with the temperature gauge as I drove. The battery, because of the tight underhood space and for more even weight distribution, is back with the temporary spare tire. all dipsticks, filler caps, and reserviors are withi reasonably easy reach.

INTERIOR:

The interior fit/finish, with a couple of small exceptions, is as impressive as it is outside. The optional ($1000) Two-tone Black/Silver Napa leather seats had the kind of leather you used to see in luxury cars before cost-cutting became common....smooth, soft, and slick-feeling. My car had the black/silver two-tone, but several other monotone and two-tone versions are available. The exquisite carbon-fiber inlays ($500) on the door panels and dash, set in thin, low-gloss chrome borders, were done almost to perfection (other interior trim patterns, including dark wood, are available). The typical Audi three-spoke steering wheel had the usual integrated controls, nice leather wrapping, and a comfortable grip. The primary gauges were clear and legible. I noticed both the traditional analog speedometer and an electronic, digital one in the middle of the cluster....the salesman said that came from how the dash programming could be set up. The hardware, controls, and buttons were mostly of good, solid quality, and the stereo sound quality from the Premium system was excellent Since this was a German car, I put on a German Heavy-Metal group named Accept, with their classic song "***** to the Wall" (This song is incredibly heavy...you have to hear it to believe it). The front seats were sharp-bolstered and supportive, yet still comfortable and not too narrow for my less-then-frugal fanny. Headroom in front, under the sunroof housing, was OK for tall people if you put the seat cushion down far enough. The steering column has reasonably smooth-working manual tilt/telescoping functions. The headliner and visors were of fairly nice-feeling materials. And legroom in back was also OK for tall people if the front seats were not pushed too far back.

All was not perfection inside, however. With the front seats adjusted for tall large people like me, entry/exit was a little awkward because of the fairly low stance of the vehicle and way the B-pillars, front-seat bolsters, and door-valences are designed. The electronic parking brake tab, on the console, is more awkward, IMO, than a conventional pull-up lever. The twin stalks for the turn signal and cruise-control, on the left side of the steering column, in contrast to the rest of the interior, look and feel flimsy and cheap, but, because of their sharply differing lengths and positioning, are less-likely to be confused with each other by fingertip-feel than in some Mercedes-benz products that I have complained about. In several M-B vehicles I've driven, signaling for a turn can easily end up turning on or adjusting the cruise-control. Rear-seat headroom is definitely tight for tall people (say, over 5' 10" or so). And, to what is IMO, the car's worst feature.....the MMI system. I've never liked either BMW's I-Drive or Audi's MMI, and this car is no exception. It vastly complicates the car's NAV/stereo controls, even with voice commands, and can make keeping your eyes on the road very difficult while using it. Studies have shown that many accidents today are caused by drivers trying to drive while multi-tasking with devices like this.

CARGO AREA/TRUNK:

Open the solid trunk lid, and the hinge design allows you to raise it high enough to get your head out of the way. The rear roofline, like with many recent sedans, cuts into the size of the lid opening a little, but not enough to where loading is noticeably impacted. Inside, the cargo area is well-finished, just like the rest of the car. A nice, fairly plush grade of dark gray, blackish carpet lines the floor, walls, and even forward up to the rear seatbacks. Real, thick, polished-metal-chrome (not plastic) tie-down flip-up rings are located in each corner. There is enough cargo space to carry a reasonable amount of bulky goods and packages, but, of course, it's not a Chevy Suburban. 60/40 split-folding rear seats help expand the cargo area, of course. A rear seat pass-through allows long, narrow items like fishing poles and skis to be carried without dropping the seats. Audi did cut one corner, however, by using a temporary spare tire instead of a real one.

ON THE ROAD:

Start up the supercharged V6 by inserting an electronic fob into a dash hole and pushing in......a regular engine START/STOP button is optional. The V6 fires up and settles into a smooth and fairly quiet, but not library-quiet idle...the engineers want you to know you are in a sports sedan. The new V6 keeps the same power ratings as the former 4.2L V8 it replaces. An active CL member recently traded in his S5 (with the same V8) for a Mercedes C63 AMG because he felt that the S5's engine was underpowered. While it is true, of course, that neither the 4.2L or the supercharged 3.0 has the enormous, tire-shredding torque of a Mercedes AMG, I don't think (at least my my standards) that it is underpowered at all.....even for a German sports sedan. This engine and transmission will give you a healthy shove in the back if you give it some gas (peak torque of 325 ft-lbs starts at only 2900 RPM, so the torque band is flexible), and Audi quotes a 4.9 second 0-60 time for both manual and S-Tronic transmissions. Some exhaust noise is heard as RPM climbs......like I said earlier, the engineers did forget this is a sport sedan....but it is not loud or obtrusive. EPA gas-mileage numbers are fairly impressive for an AWD high-performance car.

The 6-speed manual has a delightfully nice, smooth, refined clutch that engages about right......not to soon or too high off the floor. The fairly stubby shift lever has a properly sporting feel and short throws, and the transmission's ratios are well-chosen and are close enough to keep the engine in or near its power-band. But the shift linkage, though not bad, could be improved a little.....it was somewhat vague-feeling, and the lever had a tendency to go into gears with a "pop" feeling...you could feel the synchronizer resistance, and then a little snap as the gears meshed.

The chassis is very well-done....virtually as good as that of the typical BMW when it comes to a good compromise of ride and handling. The definitely firm ride was also smooth and rather comfortable....not an easy thing to master. Bumps were only mildly felt. Cornering was flat and precise, with little body lean, but steering response was a little slower than the typical 3-series (or even the Hyundai Genesis 3.8L Track Coupe), with noticeably less steering/road feel....though feel improved a little with vehicle speed. The AWD, of course, helps with grip in the corners (you have to pay extra for AWD in the 3-series). My car did not have this option, but Audi offers an adjustable-suspension/steering response package that could (?) address some of these things....but the chassis is pretty well-done as it is. Wind and road noise were well-controlled (probably from the high-quality materials in the doors and door-sealing), even on coarse road surfaces, where it only increases a little. Brakes were also quite impressive.....up with BMW standards. The brake pedal was well-placed for my big size-15 clown-shoes, so I didn't have any hang-up problems going from gas pedal to brake, and the brake pedal was worthy of a German sport-sedan in its firmness, almost instant response, and lack of sponginess. The S4 brakes appear to be an in-house Audi design, rather than the more common Brembos you often see in this class of car.

THE VERDICT:

While its shift linkage and steering feel could be improved slightly, and the MMI system IMO, is, as always, a pain in the a**, there is no question that, otherwise, this is a VERY impressive car, even by sport-sedan standards. The fit/finish and material quality, with a few small exceptions, are absolutely first-rate inside and out. The 6-speed manual transmssion and clutch are relatively pleasant to use, even in traffic-jam conditions. Its gas mileage is impressive by AWD sport-sedan standards. The engine is not the most powerful on the road, especially compared to its Mercedes AMG competition, but certainly nothing to be ashamed of, and can hold its own pretty well. Its chassis, while not quite BMW-perfect, is likewise nothing to look down on. And, last, its 52K price as-tested, while not cheap, is not bad at all when you consider what you get for that sum. Unfortunately, you will probably end up paying at or close to list...Audi dealerships, for several reasons, are not likely to be giving them away. True, Audi electronics have a reputation for early failure, but if you don't keep the car more than the standard 4-year warranty, or purchase an extended warranty, that, of course, will address that problem.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-07-09 at 05:48 PM.
Old 10-07-09, 06:11 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Great review mmarshall

Looks like the S4 continues to be a fine and refined automobile. You may (or may not ) recall I had an A4 Quattro before my IS and I always say when I'm ready for another car the A4/S4 is already on my short list. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations.

I read in your review that when you start the engine you can hear it and it sounded good and like a sport sedan. That I like, I would also like to hear the engine when accelerating hard. But what about when cruising at a steady pace in the city or on the highway? Was there engine drone?

Also I noticed your test car had the B&O stereo, if you had a chance to test it out what are your thoughts please?

Larry
Old 10-07-09, 06:31 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Great review mmarshall
Thanks.

Looks like the S4 continues to be a fine and refined automobile. You may (or may not ) recall I had an A4 Quattro before my IS and I always say when I'm ready for another car the A4/S4 is already on my short list. Thank you for sharing your thoughts and observations.
I don't think you'll be disappointed with this car. I'm not that big an Audi fan myself, and I sure wasn't disappointed with it.

I read in your review that when you start the engine you can hear it and it sounded good and like a sport sedan. That I like, I would also like to hear the engine when accelerating hard. But what about when cruising at a steady pace in the city or on the highway? Was there engine drone?
No, this car didn't have classic muscle-car rumble like a Corvette or Mustang GT. There was just a touch of exhaust noise at idle and on acceleration (enough for refined sport-sedan standards) and almost none at cruise. I didn't go full-***** on the throttle because it was a new engine and not broken-in yet.

Also I noticed your test car had the B&O stereo, if you had a chance to test it out what are your thoughts please?
Yes, my car had the Bang & Olufsen unit.....an $850 option. I liked its sound quality, with the 505-watt output and 14 speakers. It was definitely in the excellent category, thogh not quite up to the insanely good Lexus Mark Levinson systems. (Also, with the head-pounding, hard-rock and 80's Heavy Metal groups I listen to, you can't turn it up too much or you will damage your hearing).

The only thing I did not like about it was not the fault of the stereo itself, but of the annoying MMI system that vastly increases the complexity of stereo controls/functions.....same with BMW's I-Drive.
Old 10-07-09, 06:32 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

nice review...

and I think the temporary spare is a huge plus versus the M3's fix a flat crap...(full size spares are left out for weight and cost savings)
Old 10-07-09, 06:37 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
nice review...
Thanks.

and I think the temporary spare is a huge plus versus the M3's fix a flat crap...
Well, yes, I thought about that while I was writing it up, and of the fact that the $94,000 Mercedes E63 AMG I reviewed last year did the same thing.....gave you a bottle of Fix-a-Flat. But, IMO, any way you look at it, a 50K car (or more) deserves a real spare tire.

I had a 31K Lexus IS300, for example, with a real spare tire and alloy wheel.
Old 10-07-09, 06:49 PM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Well, yes, I thought about that while I was writing it up, and of the fact that the $94,000 Mercedes E63 AMG I reviewed last year did the same thing.....gave you a bottle of Fix-a-Flat. But, IMO, any way you look at it, a 50K car (or more) deserves a real spare tire.

I had a 31K Lexus IS300, for example, with a real spare tire and alloy wheel.
full size spares are left out for weight and cost savings....at least a lite weight temp spare should be required...not a can of fix-a-flat
Old 10-07-09, 06:56 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by bagwell
full size spares are left out for weight and cost savings
True, but a regular spare can be rotated with the other 4 tires, extending their wear/tread lives. That gives you 20% longer tire life , on the average. Then, when it wears down some, the spare be kept only for emergencies, so you don't have to buy 5 new tires.

....at least a lite weight temp spare should be required...not a can of fix-a-flat
My guess is that the Roadside-Assistance programs that automakers have today have replaced a lot of the traditional spare-tire changes. Also, tires, in general, are more resistant to blowouts today.
Old 10-07-09, 07:06 PM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I don't think you'll be disappointed with this car. I'm not that big an Audi fan myself, and I sure wasn't disappointed with it.
Thanks.

No, this car didn't have classic muscle-car rumble like a Corvette or Mustang GT. There was just a touch of exhaust noise at idle and on acceleration (enough for refined sport-sedan standards) and almost none at cruise. I didn't go full-***** on the throttle because it was a new engine and not broken-in yet.
Sounds perfect to me. (pardon the pun). That's exactly what I was hoping you would say.

Yes, my car had the Bang & Olufsen unit.....an $850 option. I liked its sound quality, with the 505-watt output and 14 speakers. It was definitely in the excellent category, thogh not quite up to the insanely good Lexus Mark Levinson systems. (Also, with the head-pounding, hard-rock and 80's Heavy Metal groups I listen to, you can't turn it up too much or you will damage your hearing).
Based on your thoughts and similar reviews from other people that have heard the system I'd say its a worthwhile option for sure.

The only thing I did not like about it was not the fault of the stereo itself, but of the annoying MMI system that vastly increases the complexity of stereo controls/functions.....same with BMW's I-Drive.
Understood. The only one I've ever played with is the Command system in my brother's car. I was underwhelmed but could live with it. Even my brother said it took a couple of months and now he doesn't mind it all.

Again I appreciate all the time and effort you put into your reviews.
Old 10-07-09, 07:16 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by TripleL
Understood. The only one I've ever played with is the Command system in my brother's car. I was underwhelmed but could live with it. Even my brother said it took a couple of months and now he doesn't mind it all.
True, I've never actually owned a BMW I-Drive or Audi MMI. Perhaps, like your brother, I could stomach it after several months. But every one I've ever tried out in a new-car lot, without question, has been a pain in the a**.

Again I appreciate all the time and effort you put into your reviews.
Sure. Being single, retired, and living in a very car-rich, high-income area (second only to Southern California, I've got the time....and the facilities.....for it.

Of course, I can't spend every day reviewing cars and writing them up.....I've got other things to do, too.
Old 10-08-09, 04:58 AM
Joeb427
Lexus Fanatic

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

True, but a regular spare can be rotated with the other 4 tires, extending their wear/tread lives. That gives you 20% longer tire life , on the average. Then, when it wears down some, the spare be kept only for emergencies, so you don't have to buy 5 new tires.

My guess is that the Roadside-Assistance programs that automakers have today have replaced a lot of the traditional spare-tire changes. Also, tires, in general, are more resistant to blowouts today.

BMW doesn't recommend rotating tires.I have stock staggered but even on non staggered.
I had run flats and went to conventonal tires and have a better,quieter ride.I also bought a BMW spare kit.I wouldn't go anywhere without a spare,run flats or not.Road assistance is nice but can take hours.
The lack of a spare may be because of weight but run flat tires weigh about 4-5 lbs more per tire.
I think it's more of a cost savings than weight.

The S4.
It a very nice car that in a s4 vs 335 Car & Driver test,the S4 won by a small margin.A very nice car that I would consider but not in it's first year.
I bought and did get a great discount off list on my 335 and the S4 will not be heavily discounted for awhile.BMW forum people are ordering new '10 3 Series BMW's for $750 over invoice.BMW is feeling the economy pinch.
Audi's leases usually aren't good either.
I do like the S4 and believe Audi will grab some BMW buyers with the S4 as it's getting a lot of interest on 3 Series forums.Especially with the 335 having a high pressure fuel pump problem that BMW doubled the 5/60 to 10/120 warranty on.
The 335d twin turbo high powered,high mileage diesel is getting popular too.

Someone mentioned the idrive.It was improved for '09 and is easy to operate.The NAV end isn't too great,though.

Last edited by Joeb427; 10-08-09 at 05:17 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 05:48 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Joeb427
BMW doesn't recommend rotating tires.I have stock staggered but even on non staggered.
Some BMW's also have unidirectional tires, and that limits the ways you can rotate them....only front-to-back. If they are unidirectional AND different sizes front and rear, then, of course, you can't rotate them at all.

I had run flats and went to conventonal tires and have a better, quieter ride.
Yes, under most circumstances, you are going to get a better ride with conventional tires. Run-flats, by the very necessity of having to support the car's weight with no air in them, have to have very stiff sidewalls.

I think it's more of a cost savings than weight.

I agree with you on the cost-savings part. Automakers use the weight-control excuse to try and justify the use of temporary spares and/or Fix-a-Flat bottles, but, in most cases, it is really a $$$$$ issue.

The S4.
It a very nice car that in a s4 vs 335 Car & Driver test,the S4 won by a small margin.A very nice car that I would consider but not in it's first year.
I bought and did get a great discount off list on my 335 and the S4 will not be heavily discounted for awhile.BMW forum people are ordering new '10 3 Series BMW's for $750 over invoice.BMW is feeling the economy pinch.
Audi's leases usually aren't good either.
I do like the S4 and believe Audi will grab some BMW buyers with the S4 as it's getting a lot of interest on 3 Series forums.Especially with the 335 having a high pressure fuel pump problem that BMW doubled the 5/60 to 10/120 warranty on.
The 335d twin turbo high powered,high mileage diesel is getting popular too.
Agreed.....but I'd rate the two about equally....especially if the 335 had the xi AWD option. The S4 has superb fit/finish and material quality inside and out; the 335 has better driving feel and a somewhat better chassis.

Someone mentioned the idrive. It was improved for '09 and is easy to operate. The NAV end isn't too great,though.
It may be a little easler to operate now, but, as far as I'm concerned, give me conventional buttons and *****. I've never liked I-Drive or MMI....still don't.

Of course, as TripleL noted in his post, some people get used to it after a few months.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-09 at 05:51 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 06:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Nice review mmarshall as usual. The S4 is a lot of car for the money. The best interior in its class in my opinion. We saw 1 S4 in the dealership when we were there, but it was sold already. All of Audi's S models are pretty hard to come by.
As far as the MMI, if you are use to electronic control, you can master it in less than a week. Its not as intuitive as Lexus' controls, but then whose is?
All Audi steering is very light at parking lot speed, thats how they design it. The steering will stiff up very fast as the speed climb, more so than any other car I have driven. It has the perfect boost at highway speed. I thought the B&O system was disappointing, but the standard system is boraderline acceptable.
Old 10-08-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by The G Man
Nice review mmarshall as usual.
Thanks.

The S4 is a lot of car for the money. The best interior in its class in my opinion. We saw 1 S4 in the dealership when we were there, but it was sold already. All of Audi's S models are pretty hard to come by.
Yep. Correct on all counts.

As far as the MMI, if you are use to electronic control, you can master it in less than a week. Its not as intuitive as Lexus' controls, but then whose is?
MORE intuitive, though, are simple buttons and *****, that do one function without a bunch of scrolling.

All Audi steering is very light at parking lot speed, thats how they design it. The steering will stiff up very fast as the speed climb, more so than any other car I have driven. It has the perfect boost at highway speed.
Yes, it stiffens up some with speed......I noted that in the review. But, IMO, it doesn't have the telepathic road feel that BMW steering units do; practically no other car does. BMW steering units (especially the non-active ones), IMO, are simply the BEST, although the new Hyundai Genesis 3.8 Track Coupe comes very close.

I thought the B&O system was disappointing, but the standard system is boraderline acceptable.
Well, if you compare it to the fabulous LS460 Mark Levinson system, almost any car stereo is less-impressive to some extent. But that doesn't mean it's a bad unit. Today, car stereos have evolved to the point where it is rare to find a truly sub-standard or tinny-sounding unit. Even low-priced Hyundais and Kias have relatively nice units today.

Last edited by mmarshall; 10-08-09 at 06:33 AM.
Old 10-08-09, 06:30 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Thanks for the review mmarshall. All your minuses seem minor to me. So from your write up I conclude that it's a very nice car. To be honest I'll probaly never buy a Audi b/c i'm officially a Mercedes guy. But everytime I see one i'm very impress by their exterior paint and interior. Thanks once again for the review.
Old 10-08-09, 06:32 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Good write up Marshall. I like what Audi is doing with their vehicles.. I was very interested in the Audi TT RS but I was drawn back to the 335 for the overall package. This new S4 seems promising (have not driven one yet). I am in love with the last gen RS4 which is a blast to drive. I am not too found of the styling of this gen S4. The best looking S4 was the last gen V8 version

As far as the BMW I-drive, you need to check out the new I-drive. It is light years ahead of the old version in use & screen resolution. All of the traditional buttons to control the radio, AC are on the dash for the non-tech savvy old school folks. There is also voice command to control many of the functions if you don't want to mess with the I-drive controller.. You and the stalks lol..

Quick Reply: Review: 2010 Audi S4