Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)

Old 11-04-09, 10:00 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
hmm I still like my CLS exterior better but i'm sure this one will grow on me. I always thought the CLS was more upmarket even though it was really a sporty E class. I guess now since it's basis on the S class the interior is going to better and the price is going to go up at least 5K. Great!

The only thing I don't care for is the arch over the back tire. I'm sure the AMG version will look 2 times better.
It's still based on the E class chassis, in this case the W212.

I agree with you though, I like the current CLS more than the new one.
Old 11-04-09, 11:23 AM
LexFather

I don't see how Benz can top the current CLS....and what is up with this weird extra car arch over the rear wheels on their new cars....

Old 11-04-09, 11:30 AM
LB Lex
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
....and what is up with this weird extra car arch over the rear wheels on their new cars....
it looks nice on the S class but not on this, just too weird.
Old 11-04-09, 12:36 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

I don't see how Benz can top the current CLS....and what is up with this weird extra car arch over the rear wheels on their new cars....
i noticed that too, but at least it's better than the current s class imho
Old 11-04-09, 04:02 PM
GS3Tek

Received 162 Likes on 123 Posts

That rear end is frumpy and saggy looking. Not liking this one at all
Current one is 10x better.

I have never said it before but currently, the best looking model from MB is the C 63amg class
Old 12-08-09, 07:45 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts
Default Spy Shots: 2011 Mercedes Benz CLS Interior Revealed

December 7th, 2009

The Mercedes-Benz CLS ignited the four-door coupe market when it was first introduced back in 2004, and since then we’ve seen several other luxury rivals attempt to emulate the design with cars like the 2010 Porsche Panamera, recently revealed 2010 Aston Martin Rapide and upcoming Audi A7.

Now, prototypes for Mercedes’ next-generation CLS has been spotted, revealing a few subtle clues about the new model. The latest shots show off the interior of the car, revealing a design very similar to that seen on the lower positioned E-Class.

The new CLS is expected to be launched in late 2010 as a 2011 model and positioned more upmarket to bring it in line with some of its more premium rivals. This will also allow Mercedes-Benz to introduce a second four-door coupe model, rumored to be based on its next-generation small car platform.

The new design will feature a wider track, as indicated by the extended wheel arches seen on previous test mules, and according to insiders its platform is borrowed from the current S-Class sedan flagship.

New to the CLS will be a hybrid option based on the same powertrain as the one used in the recently revealed S400 BlueHybrid. Other engine options will include both V-6 and V-8 powerplants, and there will be a high-performance AMG model, which you can see spy shots of by clicking here.
Source
Old 12-08-09, 07:52 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,095 Likes on 1,358 Posts

no shift lever wasting space.
Old 12-08-09, 08:05 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
Yes, had the in my last ML350, worked fine.
Old 12-08-09, 08:33 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

umm, i was expecting the dash design to be a bit more slick and more curves
Old 12-08-09, 08:49 AM
Milla...

Originally Posted by rominl
Wow yeah me too, they are really into this whole squared off thing. Are they really going back to this shape, the shape of the 80's? That interior is actually quite ugly and dated already, if I wanted a fancy F150 interior I'd get a King Ranch.

Last edited by Milla...; 12-08-09 at 09:02 AM.
Old 12-08-09, 08:56 AM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For a while there Ford's interiors had a "turn everything into straight lines and boxes" look to them.

Granted Ford's latest interior designs have graduated past that look, which I definitely hated, but now it seems the designers Ford fired went to work for Benz.

Yuck.
Old 02-11-10, 06:09 PM
(Cj)
Lexus Test Driver

Default **More CLS Spy Shots**

Spy Shots: 2011 Mercedes-Benz CLS

by Damon Lavrinc on Feb 11th 2010 at 3:59PM

Underneath that sparse camouflage is the all-new 2011 Mercedes-Benz CLS, but you'd be forgiven for thinking that the update is only skin deep.

As the current CLS is based off the older E-Class platform (W211), the 2011 model is set to swap to the updated architecture (W212) and gain a few new stylistic updates inspired by its siblings. Although the coupe-like roofline will remain, the rear fenders will gain the blisters originally seen on the new E, along with the upright grille pulled from the SLS and more angular head- and taillamps.

Power is likely to be provided by Mercedes' new range of direct injected and turbocharged engines, available in both six- and eight-cylinder configurations and topping out in the mid-400 horsepower range. There's talk of a CLS 400 BlueHybrid variant and within a year of its debut – likely at the Paris Motor Show this fall – we can expect a 5.5-liter twin-turbo'd AMG version.

Old 02-11-10, 06:34 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Milla...
Wow yeah me too, they are really into this whole squared off thing. Are they really going back to this shape, the shape of the 80's? That interior is actually quite ugly and dated already, if I wanted a fancy F150 interior I'd get a King Ranch.

Or you can get one of these:

Guess this is dated too, huh?
Old 02-11-10, 07:07 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
I agree, great move, is that a Jaguar type ****?

Originally Posted by rominl
Originally Posted by Milla...
Herny, Milla it is VERY disapointing. I simply do not like these old 1980s throwback interiors. I thought the CLS was about swoopy design. I find this to be NEAR PERFECT

Originally Posted by DustinV
Or you can get one of these:

Guess this is dated too, huh?
Dustin its clear on a LEXUS forum people will LIKE The LX. Have you sat in one? The interior goes very well with the big 4x4 boxy feel. SUV design and car design is completely different.

This isn't about the LX, its about the CLS.

Old 02-11-10, 07:21 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

I agree, great move, is that a Jaguar type ****?

Herny, Milla it is VERY disapointing. I simply do not like these old 1980s throwback interiors. I thought the CLS was about swoopy design. I find this to be NEAR PERFECT

Dustin its clear on a LEXUS forum people will LIKE The LX. Have you sat in one? The interior goes very well with the big 4x4 boxy feel. SUV design and car design is completely different.

This isn't about the LX, its about the CLS.
no kidding. the cls is about bold and style, going back to 80s is such a weird decision

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)