Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-09, 06:12 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

[QUOTE=CDNROCKIES;4902151]IS-SV, have you taken one for a drive? I'm curious to know your thoughts if you have.

I agree that it is one of the most beautiful cars out there....but I was deeply disappointed when I drove it. Unbeknownst to my wife, I had it set in my mind that I was buying it when we took it out, but couldn't believe how much of a land yacht it was. No matter what suspension setting I put it on, I couldn't get it to handle anywhere near acceptable.

Obviously, the AMG version will be much better, but I'd be after an E63 or M5 long before this.[/QUOTE

I honestly feel my CLS handles very well. Maybe it's not an NSX but I take curves with no problems. Plus I drive like a bat out hell. The only thing I’m a little disappointed in is the interior maybe b/c I traded in my MB CL for the car. What I come to learn, women tend to love the CLS body style but love the CL interior. All and all I’m satisfy maybe b/c everywhere I go people are admiring the car. The design is so futuristic.
Old 10-06-09, 06:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by yayitscola
I wonder how their going to top the current CLS too, I love the current CLS...looks absolute gorgeous
While I do like the current CLS, I can still see some areas that can be improved
Old 10-06-09, 07:18 AM
Milla...

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dunnojack
looks meh ......

This really had me laughing this morning...
Old 10-06-09, 07:47 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
IS-SV, have you taken one for a drive? I'm curious to know your thoughts if you have.

I agree that it is one of the most beautiful cars out there....but I was deeply disappointed when I drove it. Unbeknownst to my wife, I had it set in my mind that I was buying it when we took it out, but couldn't believe how much of a land yacht it was. No matter what suspension setting I put it on, I couldn't get it to handle anywhere near acceptable.

Obviously, the AMG version will be much better, but I'd be after an E63 or M5 long before this.
I have not, I've only driven the E-class that it was derived from. The E is also a comfort-oriented cruiser too. Both cars do well with a majority of their target buyers.
Old 10-06-09, 07:55 AM
calichris
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

is it me or everything except the front looks like a dodge status?
Old 10-06-09, 08:04 AM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

Judging by the front end, its gonna have one massive Tri-star on it
like all mercedes now that are "sport" sedans, it probaby will

they should be testing the regular CLS before the AMG version dont you think, if it's a brand new model...
from what i can see, nothing about this picture says that its the amg version...but both are probably in testing

Last edited by RXSF; 10-06-09 at 08:09 AM.
Old 10-06-09, 11:09 AM
RX_330
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Wow, I kinda forgot that the W219 has been around since 2004. I guess when you have the best-looking four-door coupe in the industry, it's really hard to believe that this design is already old.

Anyways, I just hope that the next-gen model (possibly called W220) will have better design (or at the very least same design quality) of the current W219.

I hope MB will deliver on this one
It's not going to be called the W220. That was the previous generation S-Class. It may or may not be the AMG version in the picture, but those are pretty big brakes...
Old 10-06-09, 01:36 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by rogers2
I honestly feel my CLS handles very well. Maybe it's not an NSX but I take curves with no problems. Plus I drive like a bat out hell. The only thing I’m a little disappointed in is the interior maybe b/c I traded in my MB CL for the car. What I come to learn, women tend to love the CLS body style but love the CL interior. All and all I’m satisfy maybe b/c everywhere I go people are admiring the car. The design is so futuristic.
Sorry, wasn't trying to disrespect your ride....you have one of the best looking cars on the road, imho.

Keep in mind, that I got out of my F and into the CLS so it maybe didn't get a fair shake. I didn't expect it to handle like the F, of course. I just found that there was an unacceptable amount of body roll and that the steering was not nearly responsive as I expected. That would change with the AMG version.

I do agree with you on the interior. It was "nice" but it certainly didn't blow us away by any stretch of the imagination. BMW has made some nice upgrades inside, and hopefully the new Benz will do the same.
Old 10-06-09, 08:09 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Wow, I kinda forgot that the W219 has been around since 2004.
true the W219 was introduced in 2004 but the CLS was sold in US as 2006 model I believe, you will not find a single used 2005 CLS in US market I think...
Old 10-06-09, 08:13 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Keep in mind, that I got out of my F and into the CLS so it maybe didn't get a fair shake. I didn't expect it to handle like the F, of course. I just found that there was an unacceptable amount of body roll and that the steering was not nearly responsive as I expected. That would change with the AMG version.
CLS is a bigger car, and No you cant compare the F with the CLS500/550, only the M3, RS4, and C63...

I do agree with you on the interior. It was "nice" but it certainly didn't blow us away by any stretch of the imagination.
that can be same about every Lexus I've ever seen, none blows me away either, just nice enough design and materials... thats it. Maybe the new LF-A will change that!
Old 10-06-09, 08:16 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gojirra99
While I do like the current CLS, I can still see some areas that can be improved
I haven't seen a single car that couldn't use "some" area of improvement... No car is perfect.
Old 10-06-09, 08:20 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
CLS is a bigger car, and No you cant compare the F with the CLS500/550, only the M3, RS4, and C63...
I get that....I wasn't looking for another super sedan....but I was expecting it to handle closer to, say, a 5 series....which I didn't think it was close to.
Old 10-07-09, 12:55 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

I get that....I wasn't looking for another super sedan....but I was expecting it to handle closer to, say, a 5 series....which I didn't think it was close to.
well, i think it's given that BMW is a performance benchmark 4 sedans (pretty much)....
Old 10-07-09, 07:43 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

It's never taken personal CDNROCKIES, life is too short. Sound like you test drove one without the AMG package. But like I said I think the car handles very well. MB stated that the suspension is aim more toward performance vs the E class. I think the E class is a little faster b/c of weight. Moving on, I can't wait to see what MB come up with.
Old 10-07-09, 08:58 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
I haven't seen a single car that couldn't use "some" area of improvement... No car is perfect.
I personally won't change anything on the Aston Martin DBS (exterior)

Quick Reply: 2011 Mercedes CLS AMG Caught Testing (+ CLS Interior Revealed)