Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Tough (and scary) talk from Akio Toyoda

Search this Thread

Old 10-05-09, 10:43 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
All I saying is that it is possible. A 100 billion dollar asset can vanish just like that, GM is living prove. So to say that the Toyota's president is creating too much of a sense of urgency is untrue. When you are playing with tens of billions of dollars a year, two or three big mistakes can sink the whole company.
It could happen but most likely not. GM did it onto themselves and have no one else to blame but themselves and now GM is a big burden on the United States taxpayers...
Old 10-05-09, 10:50 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by Trexus
It could happen but most likely not. GM did it onto themselves and have no one else to blame but themselves and now GM is a big burden on the United States taxpayers...
You are right, GM's decline is a long time coming and Toyota's problem is only in the last 2 years and is mostly due to the global economy. As some have already mention, Toyota need to take a step backwards and take a look at their situation as a whole. They need to go back to building high quality cars with reasonable price. As much as I like sport coupe or the Lexus F series, Toyota need to do what they do best first and not forget what make them the company they are today.
Old 10-05-09, 11:02 AM
Trexus

Received 38 Likes on 27 Posts

You are right, GM's decline is a long time coming and Toyota's problem is only in the last 2 years and is mostly due to the global economy. As some have already mention, Toyota need to take a step backwards and take a look at their situation as a whole. They need to go back to building high quality cars with reasonable price. As much as I like sport coupe or the Lexus F series, Toyota need to do what they do best first and not forget what make them the company they are today.
Wholeheartedly agreed...
Old 10-05-09, 01:07 PM
baadhabit
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by MR_F1
I[*]Scion needs more unique vehicles, and they really need to put as much effort into it as when it was launched. It's kinda just floating lost right now, but good things can be done with it[/LIST]
Scion needs a rear wheel drive coupe to go up against the Genesis coupe. bring back the AE86
Old 10-05-09, 01:13 PM
jruhi4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by baadhabit
Scion needs a rear wheel drive coupe to go up against the Genesis coupe. bring back the AE86
That's, precisely, what the so-called "Toyobaru" coupe is all about.

The big question is whether it'll wear a Scion badge or it'll revive the Toyota Celica nameplate.

We might learn more around 21 or 22 October at the Tokyo Auto Show Press Conferences.
Old 10-05-09, 07:40 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by jruhi4
That's, precisely, what the so-called "Toyobaru" coupe is all about.

The big question is whether it'll wear a Scion badge or it'll revive the Toyota Celica nameplate.

We might learn more around 21 or 22 October at the Tokyo Auto Show Press Conferences.
seli carrrrrrrrrrrrr

Old 10-05-09, 07:46 PM
MR_F1
Lexus Champion

Mr F, I think you can put down that Toyota Kool Aid now, you are cut off
You'd have to let go of Nissan's gonads to cut me off no?
Old 10-05-09, 08:03 PM
LexFather

And how long will you think 117 Billion will last if they lose 17 Billion a quarter like GM did. Let me do the math for you, less than 2 years.
You are using a very VERY very very simplistic approach to finance. A company can burn all its cash and still stay in business. They can sell bonds, sell stock, restructure debt, acquire loans etc.

Toyota is worth more than 8 or 9 auto companies COMBINED. They will be fine.

In Toyota's case the Lexus cash cow has hit them hard. Just in America, this is a brand that will go from selling 330k cars 2 years ago to barely 200k here today.

That is 130k EXPENSIVE PROFITABLE cars no longer being sold. Emerging markets ARE NOT picking up the slack.

No one is immune as luxury car sales have tanked and THE MORE EXPENSIVE the vehicle, the higher the profit margin. Toyota makes NOTHING on a Yaris. They make a killing on a LX 570.

The other factor is a rather simple one. The CONVERSION RATE. The Japanese companies are getting killed here.

Old 10-05-09, 10:30 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by MR_F1
lol.. got me on the F car bit, you are totally right, but supposedly there will be more no?
hopefully, but i'm not holding my breath.

I'm form the Collin Chapman school of thought, "Add lightness". Helps in every area; performance (handling, braking and acceleration) and more importantly FUEL ECONOMY.
yeah well, Chapman didn't build luxury cars, did he?

All I saying is that it is possible. A 100 billion dollar asset can vanish just like that, GM is living prove.
toyota doesn't have the uaw to sink it.

and yes, anything's possible including an asteroid hitting the earth (it WILL happen one day), but it's highly unlikely at any given time.

toyota is still incredibly well positioned, and as has been said, has an EXCELLENT balance sheet. i think they lost, was it $5Bn last YEAR? so that would be a couple of decades of decline at that rate. is it possible? yes, in the near future? no way.
Old 10-06-09, 03:21 AM
FKL
Lexus Test Driver

If we are goimg to engage in UAW bashing, lets also include the powerful and highly paid Japanese ones as well, no?
Old 10-06-09, 04:42 AM
IS350jet
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

And how long will you think 117 Billion will last if they lose 17 Billion a quarter like GM did. Let me do the math for you, less than 2 years.
Your math is wrong! It would be two years IF Toyota had absolutely no income coming in. You forgot about that.
Old 10-06-09, 05:35 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

The worst thing any auto comapny can do is to sit back and hope that things will turn around. Fortunately, Toyota is not doing that, they have instill a sense urgency in their economy situation. The Toyota CEO doesnt think losing money is accepable and never even remotely sugguest that they can keep losing money for a while and still stay in business. Call it jumping the gun or what have you, but in the car business, small mistakes can steam roll into serious situation that can cost Billions.