Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Production Honda CR-Zzzzzzz revealed (priced, 20k base, hits dealers in Aug)

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-09, 07:31 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Production Honda CR-Zzzzzzz revealed (priced, 20k base, hits dealers in Aug)

Here's another instance of Honda calling a car a concept when it's actually mere inches away from production. This is the 2011 Honda CR-Z, and it is a reborn 1983-92 Civic CRX. It goes on sale in Japan in February 2010, with the U.S. following a few months after that.

Compact and sleek, this 161-inch long coupe/three-door hatch was first shown as a real concept at the 2007 Tokyo Auto Show. Now two years on, the 2009 show car is "95 percent" of the real thing, according to Honda officials. The final, final production version will be unveiled at the 2010 Detroit Show in January.

We know that the 2011 CR-Z will be powered by a 1.5-liter i-VTEC inline-4 combined with Honda's IMA hybrid powertrain, tied to a 6-speed manual gearbox -- essentially the sportiest drivetrain setup the company has offered in a hybrid to date. However, we still think it's likely that Honda will broaden the appeal of the CR-Z line by offering several drivetrain options -- perhaps a price-leader base model with just the 1.5-liter gas engine and perhaps, perhaps a CR-Z Si with a slightly larger, revvier engine.

The CR-Z's busy, compact 2+2 cabin is now virtually production ready and it's believed the car's Ni-Mh battery pack lies beneath the rear floor, as per the Honda Insight, on which it's is based. Even the wheels on this "concept" look production-spec, and if the "lack" of exhaust pipes on the CR-Z gives you pause, just have a look at the tail of a production Insight -- the pipes are concealed on that car, too.
It will be interesting to see how they plan to mate a 6MT to a hybrid drivetrain, but we shall see.
Old 09-30-09, 07:43 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Is this an Insight coupe, or a replacement for the Civic Hybrid?
Old 09-30-09, 07:55 AM
JessePS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

HOT!

I love 2-door hatches

Now let the wait begin for the new LF-Ch. I wonder when Toyota will come out with a 2-door hatch :/
Old 09-30-09, 08:00 AM
LexFather

So its NOT a production CR-Z is changes still have to be made...

That said, I likey so far inside and most our out. THe sides and rear are fine, Honda couldn't design a face if their life depended on it.

Old 09-30-09, 08:02 AM
Solo_D33A
Lexus Champion

... are they gonna fix that mouth?
Old 09-30-09, 08:50 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Sides and rear are ok, but the front needs some work. Also look at the front overhang! Not a fan of that high roof either.

Once again, Honda pulls a really annoying move. If this is only "95%" production-ready, what is the point of even showing this? Why not skip this "near-production" unveiling and just show the full production model?

Seems like an Insight coupe basically. Interior looks decent.
Old 09-30-09, 08:57 AM
LexFather

Well they like showing "concepts" that are near production ready....

Minor things will change (lights, mirrors, wheels) but that is pretty production ready. I do like it and curious how a hybrid + manual is going to work. I would never buy one b/c hte image kills it.....case in point
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/car...sher-fail.html

Old 09-30-09, 08:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

This looks very cool. Whats it weight?
Old 09-30-09, 09:06 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Well they like showing "concepts" that are near production ready....
Other automakers have shown "near-production" concepts too. That is not a problem. What bothers me in this case is the concept progression.

First, it was shown as a pure concept years ago. Now, it is being shown as a "near-production concept". Only next year will they show the REAL production car.

I guess Honda had nothing else worthy to unveil in Tokyo, so they decided to tack on some concept details to the production CR-Z and show that .

But this "near-production" concept looks very similar to ... the original concept, which makes this unveiling quite pointless .
Old 09-30-09, 09:15 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
curious how a hybrid + manual is going to work.
I'm curious about this as well. They did however experimented with this before in the old Insight which had a stick.

Anyways, this combo may appease the sporty people (who like their stickshifts) though it may mean less interaction between the transmission and engine + battery pack (in terms of stuff like electronic engine management and whatnot).

Anyways, we'll see......
Old 09-30-09, 09:17 AM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Blackraven
I'm curious about this as well. They did however experimented with this before in the old Insight which had a stick.

Anyways, this combo may appease the sporty people (who like their stickshifts) though it may mean less interaction between the transmission and engine + battery pack (in terms of stuff like electronic engine management and whatnot).

Anyways, we'll see......
Im sure it will debut a worlds first in regards to the tranny setup.... This will finally be a Honda with some torque (well depending on battery size).

I am not sure if people wanted a CRX new age hybrid or just a nice cheap 2 door Fit /CRX thing. I do applaud Honda for coming fast with this vehicle as they said they would

Old 09-30-09, 09:52 AM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

I don't know what "world's first" system we will see. Keep in mind Honda only makes mild hybrid systems, meaning they are not full hybrid systems like Toyota or Ford have. The engine in Honda hybrids never turns off.

I expect this to be pretty slow.
Old 09-30-09, 09:55 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Cant wait to see it. It uses the IMA system so a manual transmission shouldn't be as difficult to integrate. Original Insight had the same setup (IMA + manual).
Old 09-30-09, 09:58 AM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

There are a lot of questions regarding this setup.

Maybe if we have any automotive engineers here who can explain to us how a stickshift setup would bode with a hybrid powertrain layout.......

In a slightly off-topic note, I was really shocked with what I searched upon regarding CVTs.

Currently, it has infinite gears and IMHO is better than a conventional auto. However, it's timing belt can not atm handle engines that have huge torque (except maybe for JATCO units that can power a Murano with a V6 engine plus AWD). Other than that, CVTs cannot handle anything higher.

Then I was shocked when the the Lexus LS Hybrid came out into the world a few years back then. V8 engine + battery and yet still, it uses a CVT box.

Is there some sort of interaction between the CVT and the battery pack then that would allow it to work in a hybrid powertrain layout? (cause current CVT trannys CANNOT survive a V8 engine)???
Old 09-30-09, 10:22 AM
TWong350

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like it. Can't wait to see it in person. I miss my 89 CRX Si.

Quick Reply: Production Honda CR-Zzzzzzz revealed (priced, 20k base, hits dealers in Aug)