Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Need your input: Beater recommendation!

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 04:52 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post
Default Need your input: Beater recommendation!

Hello CL members, I'd like your input. Here's the story, below:

A friend of mine, a girl who's getting her PhD and will become a professor in a year, just had her car smashed and totalled by a careless driver coming out of an alley. She drove an '01 Audi A4 with 140k miles. Both she and her passenger sustained minor injuries, and she has already consulted an attorney.

I suspect she'll get somewhere around $4k for her car, based on KBB values. However, a comparable replacement Audi A4 is difficult to find for less than $6k. (On a side note, have any of you petitioned the insurance company for a greater replacement value based on market value instead of KBB, and how did that work out for you?)

She needs to purchase a car, preferably for no more than the $4k she will likely get back from insurance. Because she is graduating in less than a year and may need to relocate out of state (not many CA teaching positions available), it does not make sense for her to finance a vehicle at this time. If she is able to secure a job in CA, she'll look to buy a new car at that time.

Here are some of her requirements:

1. Around $4k, or the monetary value of her totalled A4
2. Auto transmission (or I have to teach her how to drive stick)
3. Reliable, since she drives 50 miles each way to take and teach class twice a week

Fuel efficiency, the ability to resell in one year, and fun-to-drive are secondary considerations.

Now I know everyone is thinking Honda Civic/Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Nissan Sentra/Altima/Maxima, etc. Well, that's what I think too. But out of these cars, which of these would you choose, and why? Is one any better than another, and are there certain years I should avoid?

Also, would anyone consider an old ES300, 1st gen GS or SC, or early LS400 instead? I'm sure she doesn't want to deal with any additional issues, such as replacing the timing belt or other less expensive wear items, but is it possible to find a car like an old ES300 that will be just as reliable and maintenance free as one of the aforementioned cars?

She also owned a Miata prior to the A4, and she expressed interest in getting another. I can't say it's not a reasonable choice, as I'm sure they're reliable, but I don't think you can buy a quality convertible at that price.

Since she knows nothing about cars, I will likely be choosing and purchasing the vehicle. If anyone knows of a good car for sale that fits my criteria, please let me know.

Thanks for your input!
Old 09-29-09, 07:26 PM
legit
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, I can answer one thing. I do believe you can petition/negotiate the evaluation of the car but this may vary with companies...

Anyhow, an uncle had his car totaled(well, it wasn't so bad but the frame was done) after a Canadian winter day. The bloody insurance thieves decided to value his vehicle at the Canadian book value (red/black or w/e crap they tried to use) which was a hefty $3k lower than the cheapest vehicle he could find as a replacement. After a bit of talking, the insurance company agreed for him to find three vehicles with similar condition (kms/colour/etc.) and they will take an "average" and reevaluate his car (I think they just take the mean price but I'm not sure). He ended up getting ~$3.5k more after all was said and done.
Old 09-29-09, 07:54 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1

A friend of mine, a girl who's getting her PhD and will become a professor in a year,
She's not going to get a new Volvo like all the other professors?

(Just kidding)

have any of you petitioned the insurance company for a greater replacement value based on market value instead of KBB, and how did that work out for you?)
I personally haven't, but that's because I don't mod my cars. But, a friend of mine had his old car totalled, and because he had a number of custom/aftermarket parts on it, and had receipts for what he had spent on it. Initially the adjuster turned down his higher request, but, after he appealed and met with a company zone manager, he was granted a somewhat higher settlement to cover at least part of his added costs. I don't know if that will work with your friend or not, because if her car was totalled in a stock condition (even in excellent shape) and not modified, KBB is probably all she will be legally entitled to.

She needs to purchase a car, preferably for no more than the $4k she will likely get back from insurance. Because she is graduating in less than a year and may need to relocate out of state (not many CA teaching positions available), it does not make sense for her to finance a vehicle at this time. If she is able to secure a job in CA, she'll look to buy a new car at that time.

Here are some of her requirements:

1. Around $4k, or the monetary value of her totalled A4
2. Auto transmission (or I have to teach her how to drive stick)
3. Reliable, since she drives 50 miles each way to take and teach class twice a week

Fuel efficiency, the ability to resell in one year, and fun-to-drive are secondary considerations.

Now I know everyone is thinking Honda Civic/Accord, Toyota Corolla/Camry, Nissan Sentra/Altima/Maxima, etc. Well, that's what I think too. But out of these cars, which of these would you choose, and why? Is one any better than another, and are there certain years I should avoid?

Also, would anyone consider an old ES300, 1st gen GS or SC, or early LS400 instead? I'm sure she doesn't want to deal with any additional issues, such as replacing the timing belt or other less expensive wear items, but is it possible to find a car like an old ES300 that will be just as reliable and maintenance free as one of the aforementioned cars?

She also owned a Miata prior to the A4, and she expressed interest in getting another. I can't say it's not a reasonable choice, as I'm sure they're reliable, but I don't think you can buy a quality convertible at that price.

Since she knows nothing about cars, I will likely be choosing and purchasing the vehicle. If anyone knows of a good car for sale that fits my criteria, please let me know.

Thanks for your input!
You say she doesn't want to fool around with changing a timing belt......I don't blame her. Since most of the Japanese vehicles you mentioned have timing belts (and some older Honda and Nissan engines are interference engines which could self-destruct if the belt breaks), you two might want to then take a look at one of the older plastic-bodied Saturn S-series compacts......preferably the 4-door sedans, since their body space-frames are structurally more sound than the 3-door coupes with the small rear half-door and lack of a solid B-Pillar. They also have timing chains in their engines instead of belts (keep in mind that if a chain breaks, it is usually more expensive to replace than a belt). But they were generally reliable cars, and the plastic side-body panels, of course, eliminate the body rust/corrosion and dent problems, although they still could have some rust underneath. In additions, insurance companies like the old plastic body Saturns.....they are generally qcheap to insure. If she is only going to keep it for a year or so, it may be worth considering....but, of course, check it out for her as best you can. And, of course, these cars aren't particularly "fun" to drive.....they are primarily basic transportation.

The newer Saturn Ion is also a possiblilty (it also has the plastic side-panels), but, IMO, it is butt-ugly, has an annoying center-speedometer, and doesn't have a Saturn-built 4-cylinder engine...it uses the standard GM Quad-Four engine.........I don't remember if that particular engine has a belt or a chain.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-29-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 09-29-09, 09:23 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

There is a reason it's called settleing a claim, the insurance co will offer you the lowest amount they think you will settle for. It's just like buying a used car they are buying it from you. Most policy's state they will give you replacement value of your covered loss. If you can't replace what was lost with what they give you then you lost & they won. Honda is always the place I start when shopping for a car.
Old 09-29-09, 09:26 PM
Byprodrive
Lexus Champion

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

doesn't have a Saturn-built 4-cylinder engine...it uses the standard GM Quad-Four engine.........I don't remember if that particular engine has a belt or a chain.[/QUOTE]

I am pretty shure the Quad-Four was discontinued a long time ago
Old 09-29-09, 10:20 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Although a Mazda3 might be hard to find at that price, It's a very fun little car that has good driving dynamics, good fuel economy, and good build quality (materials). Just another option to consider.
Old 09-29-09, 11:07 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that sucks. a perfectly good car ruined by another careless driver, forces you to get a junk replacement.

you lose no matter what. You can't get a decent car for $4000. not even a 98 camry.

how unfair is that..
Old 09-30-09, 05:41 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Tell her that if that was a Miata she was driving, she probably would not have walk away from that accident.
Old 09-30-09, 05:46 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Although a Mazda3 might be hard to find at that price, It's a very fun little car that has good driving dynamics, good fuel economy, and good build quality (materials). Just another option to consider.
+1.....I like my mazda3...cheap and great mpg....no issues in the 20K miles I've owned it; currently at 46K
Old 09-30-09, 05:51 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You could get a late model Mitsubishi Diamante. A lot of car for the money.
Old 09-30-09, 08:02 AM
LexFather

Mazda Protege......

I would love to say get a used ES or something but if something breaks, well it will be costly. I think for now she needs something versatile and cheap until she gets settled after her move. The Miata is another good choice and she had it which is fine, it just is clearly a fun car, not a practical one.

Old 09-30-09, 12:52 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Byprodrive
I am pretty shure the Quad-Four was discontinued a long time ago
A version of it was used in the Saturn Ion, as with a number of small GM cars. It is no longer used at GM, but they were not looking for a new car, simply an old beater for a few thousand dollars to last only a year or so. Older plastic-body Saturns, of course, elimnate the problem of body rust in a used car.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-30-09 at 01:01 PM.
Old 09-30-09, 01:00 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Mazda Protege......

I would love to say get a used ES or something but if something breaks, well it will be costly. I think for now she needs something versatile and cheap until she gets settled after her move. The Miata is another good choice and she had it which is fine, it just is clearly a fun car, not a practical one.
Mike, you're correct that the Protege, which is generally reliable, is worth considering (and it handles a lot better than old Saturns), but I assumed that pvmike1 was already aware of that...he listed the possibility of a Japanese-brand compact. As far as the price of fixing things on them, I had three small Mazda sedans, keeping one of them until far after the warranty expired, and I don't remember parts being particularly expensive for them. They ARE expensive for rotary-engine Mazdas, but that is because there are few outlets for rotary-engine parts, and little competition on the pricing.

The Miata, yes, is also quite reliable (more so, to some extent, than Mazda sedans) but its lightweight, soft top, and RWD make it generally unsuitable for winter conditions.
Old 09-30-09, 01:00 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Being out here in Los Angeles, the only time I think about rust on a vehicle is when I'm buying a car from another state.

Thanks everyone for the input! I did consider a Diamante or Protege, but I can't say that I know those cars well enough to know what to look out for when purchasing one. I'll add them to my list of cars to look at, as well as the Ion or Mazda3.

It looks like I'll be writing a letter to the insurance company about the market value of the car vs. KBB value. I'll let you guys know how that goes.

Please keep up the recommendations. I will take all into consideration. I'll also make sure to update this thread with the eventual winner.
Old 09-30-09, 01:42 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Body shop estimated $6k in damage.
Attached Thumbnails Need your input: Beater recommendation!-img_1689small.jpg  

Last edited by pvmike1; 09-30-09 at 01:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Need your input: Beater recommendation!