Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-09, 03:45 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll let the service department look at mine during the next oil change. Until then I'm leaving the carpet mats properly hooked.
Old 09-29-09, 03:55 PM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Allen K
That has been answered many times already Just double check your mats and make sure you only have ONE set and that ONE set is firmly in the hooks.
Agree. From what I have seen I really don't think Toyota did anything wrong or that there is a faulty component or design behind this. The unfortunate truth is that people are STUPID. It takes an extra two seconds to clip your floor mats into place and for several people that is too much time/effort. They throw the mat on the floor and never think twice. The other half of the population tosses an allweather mat directly ontop of the carpeted one and never thinks twice about it being just the right height to cause a problem with the accelerator. Additionally, Lexus already tried to solve this problem once by issuing notifications to ES owners to MAKE SURE that the carpet mat is removed before placing an allweather one on the floor. Evidently that wasn't good enough.

There are several factors at play here, and IMO people's stupidity is the biggest one. If you don't read the manufacturers warning and clip your floor mat or place the allweather one on top it if then you are being negligent. If your dealership/car wash pulled your mats out and didn't reclip them and you crash, your problem lies with the dealer, not the manufacturer.

Unfortunately Toyota is having to issue this recall for damage control/PR rather than for a faulty component or error. Sad.
Old 09-29-09, 03:57 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
Agree. From what I have seen I really don't think Toyota did anything wrong or that there is a faulty component or design behind this. The unfortunate truth is that people are STUPID. It takes an extra two seconds to clip your floor mats into place and for several people that is too much time/effort. They throw the mat on the floor and never think twice. The other half of the population tosses an allweather mat directly ontop of the carpeted one and never thinks twice about it being just the right height to cause a problem with the accelerator. Additionally, Lexus already tried to solve this problem once by issuing notifications to ES owners to MAKE SURE that the carpet mat is removed before placing an allweather one on the floor. Evidently that wasn't good enough.

There are several factors at play here, and IMO people's stupidity is the biggest one. If you don't read the manufacturers warning and clip your floor mat or place the allweather one on top it if then you are being negligent. If your dealership/car wash pulled your mats out and didn't reclip them and you crash, your problem lies with the dealer, not the manufacturer.

Unfortunately Toyota is having to issue this recall for damage control/PR rather than for a faulty component or error. Sad.
Bingo Bingo Bingo.......

Hell with the accident I do believe the WRONG mats were in the ES 350...

Old 09-29-09, 04:00 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

DUH ? Read below:

Toyota spokesman Brian Lyons told the Associated Press the driver could have turned off the car by holding its start button for three seconds. However, this would have resulted in a loss of power steering and power-assist to the brakes. Alternatively, the driver could have shifted the car to neutral when the unintended acceleration began. It’s unclear if some other problem prevented this from happening.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/mismatch...xus-crash.html
Old 09-29-09, 04:05 PM
TRDFantasy
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
ouch, at $100 a throw to reimburse dealers plus parts, that's $380 million.

they must be very worried about the p.r. and potential class action suit damage to do this.
Not necessarily. Seems to be the usual paranoid Toyota recall. Toyota historically has done recalls for really minor things, on top of the usual more major recalls. It's all about maintaining a reputation, and offering some surprising service to customers.
Old 09-29-09, 04:07 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ZeroIS
I just put the all-weathers in my car too on top of the carpet ones...maybe ill remove either or...but both are hooked in. weird.
read the fine prints in your rubber mats
Old 09-29-09, 04:13 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

As long as the carpeted mat is hooked all should be fine but what can the dealer replace for recall? I sure hope they won't take away our mat all together.
Old 09-29-09, 04:16 PM
love67
Lexus Test Driver

what should we do...?
Old 09-29-09, 04:22 PM
Coconut
Racer

Received 130 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by love67
what should we do...?
PANIC!!!!!

j/k
Old 09-29-09, 04:27 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

wth aren't you suppose to remove your carpet when putting in all weather floor mats? i dont' see how your floor mat would get stuck over/under your accelerator... is the weight of the floor mat alone without your foot able to keep you accelerating? so the brakes AND the emergency brake is useless? wtf lol
Old 09-29-09, 04:29 PM
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SPS
Not sure why so many people seem to be panicking. I'm rather hoping my car is on the recall list. My car is 3 years old, and the driver's side floor matt is starting to show some wear.
Exhibit A.
Old 09-29-09, 04:29 PM
dojoman
Lead Lap

Received 268 Likes on 216 Posts

Originally Posted by love67
what should we do...?
run for your lives!!!!
Old 09-29-09, 04:34 PM
Idrinor
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dojoman
run for your lives!!!!
man that made me laugh...ROGLMAO
Old 09-29-09, 04:35 PM
jimmyford1
Driver

The carpeted mat with hooks in place or the all weather mats hooked in place are no problem. Placing the all weather mats on top of the carpeted mats create a potential problem. This "problem" has existed for as long as mats have been around. I see "volume limiters" on car audio systems being mandated to prevent hearing loss...
Old 09-29-09, 04:45 PM
s6 4rings
Lead Lap

It looks as though most people don't have the hooks in their cars. Somehow they are lost/gone? I'm sure they won't replace all weather mats. It would be far cheaper for lexus to give 2 plastic hooks for the holes in the drivers side carpet to hook to the stock lexus mats.

Quick Reply: Toyota Begins Interim Notification to Owners Regarding Future Voluntary Safety Recall