Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Autos in other countries -- Japan and Hong Kong

Old 09-24-09, 09:41 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Autos in other countries -- Japan and Hong Kong

so i was in japan and hong kong for vacation for a few weeks, and of course i paid attentions to the cars.

japan is such a cool place, what a car heaven. you really see modded cars everywhere, and honestly most of them are so tastefully done. unfortunately i joined a tour so i was not able to visit any lexus dealership i did passed by 2, both looked very elegant from the outside...

so weird, the 7 series was actually left hand drive. in fact i also saw a few s class that were left hand drive. so do they allow left hand drive vehicles to run in japan?

the new HS. i actually saw quite a lot of them in japan!!!!

ok, totally random but hey, car related!

yup, celsior as cab. a lot of people know about this already, and there were quite a lot of them i saw actually. but of course, most of the cabs are still crown and such, which are run by companies. those "nicer" cabs like celsiors, they are usually run by individuals. you can recognize by the light at the top of the car (sorry, chinese) whether it's company or individual

man, do i love japan for their minivans... i saw sooo many honda and toyota minivans modded (lightly or heavily) and they all look soooo gorgeous why can't they bring in the estima or the alphard (though i probably know the answer), sienna just sux in terms of look!

last of all, the king of course. i was surprised how many new LS i saw in japan, and most importantly, i say maybe 40% of them are ls600h!!!!! seriously, a lot of ls hybrid!!!

quite a lot of them are modded too, at least with wheels on them. this one of course is a among the top, full wald!!!!
Old 09-24-09, 09:53 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

hong kong is a much smaller place and there is only one lexus dealership (if i heard that correctly). i visited there and talked to a very nice sales. but i guess the GM wasn't too happy (only guy in dealership, not from hong kong, probably looked way too young...) so after a few shots he said can't take pics at the dealership. oh well

seriously, in terms of density, hong kong really has ridiculously large number of exotics running around... i was there for 10 days, didn't really stay in any "expensive" areas, but if i remember correctly, i saw 1 aston martin, 3 ferraris, 2 lambos, not to mention other maseratis, etc... i didn't even bother to take much pics (and they were passing by fast too), but still randomly i was able to snap these...

Old 09-24-09, 10:01 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

in the end, i miss my gs and m3 after 3 weeks of no driving!
Old 09-24-09, 10:06 PM
phongh
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

a lot of nice pictures. I wish I can go there sometime in the near future.
Old 09-24-09, 10:06 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

Cool pix! I miss HK sometimes

Mercedes is still the most popular luxury car brand in HK, no?
Old 09-24-09, 10:08 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Excellent pics, thanks. I was in Tokyo a few years ago and I was suprised by the number of exotics and premium cars.
Old 09-24-09, 10:11 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

that bmw has too much chrome, and chunky chin.

but look at that Stussy store in the background! I haven't seen that since I was in elementary school. kids used to always wear stussy shirts. I thought they were dead.

i haven't been to japan since 1988, and even back then, it was pretty nice.
Old 09-24-09, 10:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Neat! Thanks for sharing and hope you had a good time in Japan and Hong Kong! Yes, in Japan people import over LHD Euro cars and drive them in the RHD streets, I think it's because they can get the cars cheaper out of country.

Ah, maybe next time you can visit a Lexus Japan dealership. My experience there was very nice, they brought snacks for Lexus owners to eat, even despite being US Lexus owners, not local. The HK dealership also has the same color selection palette as the Japan dealerships! That dealership looks nice too...is it the one near Ocean Terminal? Thanks for sharing!
Old 09-24-09, 10:30 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by primecut
Cool pix! I miss HK sometimes

Mercedes is still the most popular luxury car brand in HK, no?
probably still true, but i have to say it's not as one-sided anymore. there are tons of bmw and also quite a lot of lexus and audi, making it a lot more even.

i would still say though, there are so many s class!

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Excellent pics, thanks. I was in Tokyo a few years ago and I was suprised by the number of exotics and premium cars.
haha then you should visit hong kong. seeing exotics every day can get pretty "boring" lol

Originally Posted by dunnojack
that bmw has too much chrome, and chunky chin.

but look at that Stussy store in the background! I haven't seen that since I was in elementary school. kids used to always wear stussy shirts. I thought they were dead.

i haven't been to japan since 1988, and even back then, it was pretty nice.
yup, didn't like the bmw but i really want to find out why there are quite a few LHD there

i guess stussy is still pretty popular there?
Old 09-24-09, 11:35 PM
superchan7
Lead Lap

I heard leather seats aren't popular in Japan. What the heck is a Cadillac STS doing in that HS pic?

Both Japan and HK are fun car-spotting, train-spotting, whatever-spotting places.
Old 09-24-09, 11:52 PM
eyezack87
Camry ConeKiller

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, the only Lexus dealership in HK is off Wan Chai and Causaway Bay iirc. I was treated pretty well by one sales rep since they knew I was interested in cars. Too bad you didn't have the same experience. I do wish they brought over the minivans though
Old 09-25-09, 01:24 AM
metalgear
Lexus Champion

from what i have noticed when i was in Japan a few years back, they're more into European cars
Old 09-25-09, 05:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Thanks for sharing the pics rominl, anymore pics?
Sounds like a great trip, I always wanted to travel to those two location, maybe I will someday.
So, which location is more densely populated? Hong Kong or Toyko?
Old 09-25-09, 05:37 AM
Rash
hmm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I check Japanese car blogs from time to time, all I see is boring wheels, and boring fitment. Japan is all about those minor mods, like blue emblems, grill ..etc

Oh yeah, they are crazy about the new 1-series.
Old 09-25-09, 06:01 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,091 Likes on 1,355 Posts

thanks for sharing, henry!

oh and that bmw is hideous.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Autos in other countries -- Japan and Hong Kong