Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

hypermiling technique bad for the car?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 10:19 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by YARIS!
Many, if not most cars today, are equipped with DFCO (deceleration fuel cutoff) technology. It works whenever you decelerate with you foot completely off the gas and in gear (NOT in neutral). So don't throw it in neutral thinking you're saving gas, you're actually using more than if you just leave it in drive.
correct. again, cliff notes, coasting in neutral uses MORE gas than coasting in gear with foot off gas.
Old 09-24-09, 11:46 PM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bitkahuna
correct. again, cliff notes, coasting in neutral uses MORE gas than coasting in gear with foot off gas.

good to know. i'm glad i never drive in neutral.

the hassle of shifting constantly.

i do a lot of coasting in gear these days, esp when i see a red light a distance away. keeps my city mpg at 19.
Some people like to speed up to the red light and then brake hard. stupid.
Old 09-25-09, 05:07 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Saving $2 in gas just doesn't worth risking damage to you vehicle.
Old 09-25-09, 06:00 AM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeah, but factor in the drag of the transmission while in gear. One will more than likely have to accelerate to make it to the stop light, sign, maintain speed, etc. vs. being in neutral. Obviously, this uses gas.
Old 09-25-09, 06:16 AM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,126 Likes on 1,378 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
Yeah, but factor in the drag of the transmission while in gear. One will more than likely have to accelerate to make it to the stop light, sign, maintain speed, etc. vs. being in neutral. Obviously, this uses gas.
if the light ahead is red, the engine compression is a good thing to coast and slow to the light anyway. i do this in both my stick miata and my auto explorer.
Old 09-25-09, 07:30 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Och
Saving $2 in gas just doesn't worth risking damage to you vehicle.
Exactly, driving properly is more important.
Old 09-25-09, 09:50 AM
EZZ
Lexus Test Driver

Received 227 Likes on 170 Posts

Someone forgot to mention that its also bad for the soul. WOT stop-light to stop-light produces immense joy!
Old 09-25-09, 09:53 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

When it comes to soul, my preference is soul music.

Proper driving involves remaining in gear while moving.
Old 09-25-09, 10:02 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Threxx
My 335i's torque converter is very aggressive and puts a lot of drag on the drive train... even in the highest overdrive (6th) gear letting off the gas feels like on a manual transmission car when you downshift a gear or two to slow yourself down... the car just doesn't coast efficiently at all. I understand this is intentional to make the car feel sportier but it really kills me ability to coast to red lights and down hills to get better mileage, so I constantly am putting the car in neutral. Of course it's a little additional wear and tear but I don't think it'd ever end up breaking anything. One think I try to make sure of is that I don't accelerate for a solid second or two after placing the car back in drive, just so the trans get re-situate itself.

This is one of the several reasons I like driving manual transmission vehicles better... in my Audi I was constantly in neutral... basically any time my foot wasn't going to need to touch the gas or brake for a few seconds, I'd just push the clutch in and take it out of gear... that Audi would coast seemingly for a mile or more on flat road if you put it in neutral at 50-60mph and just let it go.
What you are experienceing in the 335 is the self braking feature and not the transmission.
Old 09-25-09, 10:04 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Hypermiling is sheer penny pinching. Just drive the car.
Old 09-25-09, 10:06 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Yes and since the topic is hypermiling/gas mileage we might as well mention the fuel economy penalty assoicated with that extra drag.
Yes.....AWD's drag does take some power and gas mileage, but still, I've done as much as 32 MPG with my Outback on level roads, at moderate speeds, cruising without the A/C on.

btw, I've noticed modern high-compression engines seem to have a bit more engine braking too, but maybe some of that effect is due to the modern auto tranny.
High-compression engines, by very definition, will have more compressional-braking while going downhill. Of course, the shorter the gear you're in, the more braking effect you will get.....that applies no matter what the engine's compression.

Just out of curiosity, I wonder what kind of downhill braking you would get with a typical diesel and its roughly 20:1 compression. I've never tried an automotive diesel down a really long grade.
Old 09-25-09, 10:14 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Yes.....AWD's drag does take some power and gas mileage, but still, I've done as much as 32 MPG with my Outback on level roads, at moderate speeds, cruising without the A/C on.
Yes and under that exact same conditions the non-AWD car would get 1 to 2 mpg more. Some of this difference is not just the AWD drag impact but also the shorter final drive ratio most manufacturers spec for AWD versions of cars (to help mask or offset the slower acceleration caused by the additional drag and weight of the AWD system).
Old 09-25-09, 11:18 AM
dunnojack
Lexus Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by EZZ
Someone forgot to mention that its also bad for the soul. WOT stop-light to stop-light produces immense joy!

correct me if i'm wrong. but didn't it used to be cool or "gangsta" to drive slow and roll down a street?
Old 09-25-09, 01:05 PM
SLegacy99
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

if the light ahead is red, the engine compression is a good thing to coast and slow to the light anyway. i do this in both my stick miata and my auto explorer.
I use my engine to slow me going down mountains, but otherwise I put my car in neutral and use the brakes to slow. Its alot cheaper to replace brakes, which are designed for braking, than to pay for uncessary wear on the engine. I like hybrids with CVTs because they tend to coast like a car would in neutral and wear on the brakes is significantly less given that most braking that is done is with the regenerative brakes and not the hydraulic.
Old 09-25-09, 03:18 PM
lobuxracer
Tech Info Resource

Received 3,842 Likes on 2,330 Posts

Originally Posted by SLegacy99
I use my engine to slow me going down mountains, but otherwise I put my car in neutral and use the brakes to slow. Its alot cheaper to replace brakes, which are designed for braking, than to pay for uncessary wear on the engine. I like hybrids with CVTs because they tend to coast like a car would in neutral and wear on the brakes is significantly less given that most braking that is done is with the regenerative brakes and not the hydraulic.
OK, but compression braking pulls oil up past the rings and helps keep the top ring from seizing. It's a good thing for the engine from time to time.

Quick Reply: hypermiling technique bad for the car?