Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

What is perfect SUV/CUV with 3rd Row?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 10:53 AM
AlexusAnja

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default What is perfect SUV/CUV with 3rd Row?

Okay, I'm in a haze right now as to where to start again, because I thought I found what I wanted, until I actually went and looked at it.

My wife and I are thinking of getting a SUV/CUV with third row, but fuel efficient (somewhat) also, so giants like the Navigator, Sequoia, LX560 are all out.

Here are some more "NO"s:
1. Minivan
2. Mazda
3. Kia (not sure if they even have anything with 3rd row)

So, what are some ideas for vehicles?

Oh yeah, the vehicle is going to supplement our RX, not replace it, which is why we wanted smaller than larger. The one we thought was right was the RAV4 4-cylinder but 3rd row is junk and material even worse.
Old 09-24-09, 10:57 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Even the RX is too small to have a comfortable 3rd row, thats why they didnt put one in. If you think the 3rd row in the RAV is useless, you need to go 2 class up. I hate to say it, its either a mini van or full size SUV.
Old 09-24-09, 11:04 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 584 Likes on 403 Posts

The new 4runner has a third row but I don't know how functional it is. I honestly don't see what's so bad about minivans. Sure they're boring but damnit they get the job done
Old 09-24-09, 11:08 AM
TripleL
No Substitute

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm not sure if you would consider this in the 'giants' category or not, but FWIW we find my wife's 2004 Pilot has a very usable 3rd row for those 5' and under.

We frequently go with 2 couples and 3 kids sitting 2 adults in the front, 2 adults in the rear and 3 kids (ages 8 to 11) in the 3rd row for long trips without issues. (there is room for another adult in the rear row)

As for fuel efficiency, well we only get about 18 MPG in everyday driving and about 23 on long highway trips so I'll leave that for you to decide.

I will say the truck will be 6 years old in Nov and has proved to be extremely reliable. Haven't been in a new one so I can't comment on them.

Good luck with your search.

Larry
Old 09-24-09, 11:09 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

What is your budget??
Old 09-24-09, 11:09 AM
Mister Two
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Have you checked out the Highlander? It has a much more usable 3rd row than the RAV4.
Old 09-24-09, 11:16 AM
tex2670
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Allen K
The new 4runner has a third row but I don't know how functional it is. I honestly don't see what's so bad about minivans. Sure they're boring but damnit they get the job done
The outgoing 4Runner's 3rd row doesn't fold flat--in my book, that CAN'T count as ideal.

Why no Mazda CX9--that would be tops on my list.

Personally, I really like the Highlander--except that the 3rd row can split 50/50. Not "ideal" in my book, but maybe a compromise some can live with. Highlander Hybrid will be pretty fuel efficient, and will seem almost identical to your RX.

Yes, the Pilot is unattractive, but it's still pretty well equipped and has Honda reliabilty. You don't really give a price range, so you can go upscale from there to an MDX.

There are the American contenders--Ford Flex and the GM trio (Acadia, Outlook and Enclave). All of these are pretty big--significantly bigger than, say, the Higlander. Not sure where they are on reliability, but probably below Highlander and Pilot. You may be able to swing a deal on the Saturn Outlook, since GM is selling them off.

Hyundai Veracruz is another choice--but I don't think their MPG is as good as the competition.
Old 09-24-09, 11:18 AM
GTSLEX
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to highjack the thread, but i'm looking for a suv with a functional third row as well.

These are the vehicles im considering.
Honda Pilot-most space, poor brakes and under powered for size
Mazda CX-9- good power not as big as pilot
New 4runner-i might consider but 3rd row specs are not much bigger then highlander and its already cramped in the highlander.

To original poster why not mazda? the cx-9 is built in japan and has had great reviews.

Which one would you guys choose? Pilot vs CX-9 vs new 4runner?
Old 09-24-09, 11:26 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The perfect suv/cuv with a 3rd row is one that you will actually purchase & post pics of.
Old 09-24-09, 11:33 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

You guys did read this part of the original post right?

Originally Posted by AlexusAnja
Oh yeah, the vehicle is going to supplement our RX, not replace it, which is why we wanted smaller than larger.
Highlander, Pilot, 4runner and CX9 are all bigger than the RX.
Old 09-24-09, 12:26 PM
Milla...

Freakin get a wagon, Volvo/ Audi etc. its a perfect supplement, especially if your going to be hauling kids and they don't mind facing the rear, hey the seats fold flat....
Old 09-24-09, 01:02 PM
LexFather

Edit reading owns me...

small third row....tough find no?

Last edited by LexFather; 09-24-09 at 01:11 PM.

Old 09-24-09, 01:13 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

But the RAV4's interior is too cheap the 3rd row seat too small he said. At this point, someone need to pull a rabbit out of the hat to come up with a luxury vehicle that is smaller than a RX and yet have a 3rd seat like a minivan.

Last edited by The G Man; 09-24-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 09-24-09, 01:13 PM
danxp
Driver

ok, i know it doesn't have a 3rd row, but how about the 2010 outback?
Old 09-24-09, 01:18 PM
LexusChris
Racer

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I would like to know why Mazda is out of the list, because the Mazda CX-9 has a decent 3rd row or the Mercedes-Benz GL-Class. I can't really think of anything that has a decent third row.

Quick Reply: What is perfect SUV/CUV with 3rd Row?