Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Goodbye Ethanol?

Search this Thread

Old 09-24-09, 09:16 AM
rebs
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Goodbye Ethanol?

I found one gas station in my area that sells gas without Ethanol (Phillips 66, which is a top-tier fuel).

Since it seems like any (positive) environmental effects of ethanol are counter-productive considering the production cost, and the fact most people get less MPG I was thinking of switching to fuel without ethanol.

Also, earlier today I also found this article where a bunch of police cars in Baltimore also broke down because of too much ethanol: http://wjz.com/local/ethanol.car.city.2.1202248.html

Anyone have any thoughts on this topic and/or want to make a strong case for Ethanol? ...because right now I'm leaning towards dumping ethanol for good.
Old 09-24-09, 09:50 AM
juicybusa
Driver School Candidate

Are gasoline oxygenators not required in your area? Since the discovery that the other common oxygenator MTBE is a proven carcinogen, it has to the best of my knowledge been discontinued nationwide. I'd be interested to know what oxygenating component Phillips is utilizing.
Old 09-24-09, 09:54 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

if i could easily find gas without ethanol, i'd use it in a heartbeat. however, i'd be more worried about what they are using to oxygenate the gas if they aren't using ethanol. one of the reasons why gas companies switched to ethanol in the first place was because mtbe was found leeching into groundwater (makes drinking water taste like crap). the whole environmentally friendly argument behind ethanol is hogwash, but it seems like most people are believing in it.
Old 09-24-09, 09:56 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

Originally Posted by juicybusa
Are gasoline oxygenators not required in your area? Since the discovery that the other common oxygenator MTBE is a proven carcinogen, it has to the best of my knowledge been discontinued nationwide. I'd be interested to know what oxygenating component Phillips is utilizing.
to this day, MTBE is still classified as a non-carcinogen. at high doses, it does cause non-cancerous health risks, but nobody has proven MTBE causes cancer.
Old 09-24-09, 10:20 AM
juicybusa
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by triple_c
to this day, MTBE is still classified as a non-carcinogen. at high doses, it does cause non-cancerous health risks, but nobody has proven MTBE causes cancer.

Thanks for that info- Several articles I've read in the past that I errantly assumed were authoratative apparently were not. With that said, is MTBE still commonly used as an oxygenator?
Old 09-24-09, 11:47 AM
triple_c
Pole Position

It might still be used here and there, but so many lawsuits have been filed over MTBE use that if it still is being used, it won't be for long. Ethanol runs the show now. I honestly would not be surprised though if you were right and MTBE is found to be carcinogenic.
Old 09-24-09, 12:17 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I know Idaho doesn't require E10, and there is a growing movement against ethanol online. However, I'm not sure if federal or state guidelines require oxygenation. I'll have to call around and see what I can find out.

I'm not sure about MTBE. I know the WHO has said it's *not* a human carcinogen, and supposedly long term exposure *may* cause "non-cancer-related health risks". Seriously though what are people doing with the stuff drinking it? I mean I understand the concerns if it leaks into the drinking supply, but there are several ingredients in gasoline that are considered dangerous if ingested.
Old 09-24-09, 12:23 PM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

DEP requires oxygenation in gas only in densely populated areas, Idaho is not one of them.
Old 09-24-09, 01:09 PM
kickin8
2IS/2RX/4RX

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

they mix with no more than 10% ethanol for winter times <-- that's what I know ? Correct me if I am wrong....
Old 09-24-09, 03:40 PM
rebs
Lead Lap

I'm under the impression 10% is the standard, but ag is pushing for 15%.
Old 09-24-09, 04:22 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

I would LOVE to find gas w.o ethanol ... I would be so all over that.
Old 09-24-09, 10:27 PM
bitkahuna
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,127 Likes on 1,379 Posts

Originally Posted by rebs
I'm under the impression 10% is the standard, but ag is pushing for 15%.
way to go for ethanol stupidity.
Old 09-25-09, 12:31 AM
nthach
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

California is running E10-E20 year round. It doesn't do jack for emissions IMO.

And why are the Baltimore cop cars breaking down so fast, I'm under the impression the P71/P72 Crown Vic is E85 capable - or at least the 2009/2010 revisions which are badged as FFVs.
Old 09-25-09, 06:15 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

how do you guys feel about your tax dollars subsidizing corn which then goes to making ethanol which has big environmental and energy balance issues.
Old 09-25-09, 07:40 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
how do you guys feel about your tax dollars subsidizing corn which then goes to making ethanol which has big environmental and energy balance issues.
It is still better than funding the terrorist.

Quick Reply: Goodbye Ethanol?