Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Ferdinand Porsche or an unknown Jew? New book documents the father of the VW Beetle

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-09, 06:09 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
DustinV, I see you own a Mercedes. Did you know that MB used swastikas in their advertising back in the day?
And your point is what?

The swastika was part of the German flag from 1933 to 1945. It wouldn't surprise me if it was used in marketing and advertising to symbolize craftsmanship from Germany or something similar.

Originally Posted by pvmike1
I'm not disputing that Porsche was a brilliant man. However, none of us can authoritatively speak on Ferdinand's state of mind during his time with Hitler, but we can all see that he received a personal benefit from the relationship. Where is the Porsche Museum of Tolerance, erected in guilt for their ill gotten gain? Oh yeah, it doesn't exist.
Many brilliant minds received support from the **** regime. You're right, we don't know what F. Porsche was thinking and what was going on in his mind at the time. However, most sources I have consulted speak of him as an engineer first and foremost with little regard for politics. Perhaps he was just a man with a vision caught up in the wrong time and wrong place.
Old 09-09-09, 06:36 PM
LexFather

I haven't read everything but I am assuming things are respectful here...please remain so

Old 09-14-09, 03:12 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

Read the book **** Nexus...
http://www.amazon.com/****-Nexus-Cor.../dp/0914153099

Henry Ford was a huge Anti-Semite who spread propaganda....Uneducated people of early 20th century assumed if henry ford, "brilliant" for revolutionizing car building and a hero of the uneducated(HS dropout), believed it had to be true.

CEO of GM during WWII was a huge anti-semite. Through GM opened Opel, they made a boatload of money as they supplied the majority of cars and trucks for German army. The truck the Blitz, allowed the **** army to do their "blitzkrieg" and revolutionized warfare, could quickly come in and destroy a country. Then the US army was forced to bomb the opel factory to stop production, which after the war GM demanded the USA fix. Additionally, they made money by supplying the US with autos for their army too.

IBM computers kept track, organized, and planned the systematic killing of Jews. It allowed the Germans to efficiently plan and execute their ideas of wiping Jews off, town by town.
Old 09-14-09, 03:25 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by mdw131
Henry Ford was a huge Anti-Semite who spread propaganda....Uneducated people of early 20th century assumed if henry ford, "brilliant" for revolutionizing car building and a hero of the uneducated(HS dropout), believed it had to be true.

Look, it is no secret that Henry Ford didn't like Jews, but he didn't care what your personal life, or religion was, if you wanted to work for him. If you gave him a good day's work in his plant, Jewish or not, he paid you well, especially for the standards of the time, WITHOUT a union representing you. That's why so many people wanted to work for him, and why there were always more job applicants at the Ford plant than there were opeinings. To work for Henry, at the time, was considered a priviledge.

And, as I pointed out in a previous post, because of Hitler's jealousy of Ford's brilliance in perfecting and producing huge numbers of cheap cars for the masses, he can be (loosely) considered the father of the VW Beetle as well (The Beetle was Hitler's idea of copying Ford)....and almost all of the small, cheap cars that, later, were produced in the millions, like the Fiat 500, Citroen 2CV, Renault 4CV, Trabant, BMW Isetta, etc.....

CEO of GM during WWII was a huge anti-semite. Through GM opened Opel, they made a boatload of money as they supplied the majority of cars and trucks for German army.
GM did not have any real ties with Opel until long after WWII.......it was illegal for American companies to have ties with German/Italian/Japanese firms during the war. German designed/built Opel products, like the Opel Kadett and GT, were first sold through Buick dealerships in the mid-late 1960's. Later, in the 1970's, GM Opels production was taken over by Isuzu, a Japanese firm. Still later, it shifted back to GM's German Opel arm.

Last edited by mmarshall; 09-14-09 at 03:31 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 05:01 PM
Red Bully
Lexus Test Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by DustinV
And your point is what?

The swastika was part of the German flag from 1933 to 1945. It wouldn't surprise me if it was used in marketing and advertising to symbolize craftsmanship from Germany or something similar.

Many brilliant minds received support from the **** regime. You're right, we don't know what F. Porsche was thinking and what was going on in his mind at the time. However, most sources I have consulted speak of him as an engineer first and foremost with little regard for politics. Perhaps he was just a man with a vision caught up in the wrong time and wrong place.

In the end F porsche used the **** party to make a boat load of money and a lot of people died because the cars he made (people makeing the cars and the tanks that killed).
Old 09-14-09, 05:20 PM
mdw131
Lead Lap

"General Motors acquires 80 percent of shares in the company Adam Opel AG for just under 26 million dollars, becoming majority stockholder."
http://media.gm.com/intl/opel/en/com...920/index.html

Short of finding the book on my shelf and paging through it, I believe what they did was put it in a German holding company with a puppet management team, so it was "foreign owned." Thus they escaped the rules about American Companies doing business with the axis. Additionally, since it was German, they did not pay any taxes on the millions of dollars of profit that was funneled back to the USA.

Not bickering...It was just an FYI and eye opener for me...

Found a person who summarized the book:
http://waronyou.com/topics/american-...le-****-nexus/

Originally Posted by mmarshall
GM did not have any real ties with Opel until long after WWII.......it was illegal for American companies to have ties with German/Italian/Japanese firms during the war. German designed/built Opel products, like the Opel Kadett and GT, were first sold through Buick dealerships in the mid-late 1960's. Later, in the 1970's, GM Opels production was taken over by Isuzu, a Japanese firm. Still later, it shifted back to GM's German Opel arm.

Last edited by mdw131; 09-14-09 at 05:25 PM.
Old 09-14-09, 06:54 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Those people would have been killed regardless of who developed the car. Its not like Porsche was Hitlers only option. F . porsche was a brilliant engineer who did what most would have done..... stay alive in a hostile regime during a world war. If someone said design these vehicles or be regraded as enemy of the state we would all done the same thing. The first rule in life is self preservation. People have an ability to do horrible things because its their jobs. Look at people who worked at slaughter houses, guantanamo bay, or guards who electricute inmates for the death penalty