Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

How many cars have a dash-mounted parking brake release lever?

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 10:47 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Question How many cars have a dash-mounted parking brake release lever?

Just a simple question, but I was wondering, besides flagship sedans like the Lexus LS (until LS 460), Mercedes-Benz S-Class, how many luxury vehicles have dash-mounted parking brake release? Where you can simple pull the lever next to the steering wheel and the parking brake disengages? How about entry-level, mid-level luxury car classes?

Besides the LS, do any other current Lexus models have the dash parking brake release?

Example: LS 400, 1990's:

Example: S-Class, 2000s:

Thx in advance!

Last edited by encore888; 09-01-09 at 02:35 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 12:43 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My parents 1996 Cadillac STS had an automatic parking release where the driver shifts into gear and the parking brake automatically released....it was really cool until it got stuck and would not release one day.
Old 09-01-09, 12:45 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by encore888

I am shocked the LS has a dash mounted release. I always thought to this day that is was in the middle between the seats.
Old 09-01-09, 12:57 AM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Our 1999 ML430 has it
Old 09-01-09, 01:00 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Many older cars have it this way. The foot pedal release did not start picking up until later down the road. Now, the trend is an electric button on the console.
Old 09-01-09, 01:04 AM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Many older cars have it this way. The foot pedal release did not start picking up until later down the road. Now, the trend is an electric button on the console.
The foot pedal was around in the mid 90's if I remember
Old 09-01-09, 01:15 AM
felixsc300
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by pagemaster
I am shocked the LS has a dash mounted release. I always thought to this day that is was in the middle between the seats.
+2.

My aunt's 2002 ML350 and my father's 2007 ML350 have this feature. I THINK my friend's 2001 C240 has this feature also.
Old 09-01-09, 01:33 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Lets not confuse the foot brake pedal with hand release on dash (or center console) with the foot pedal brake release on the foot brake pedal itself. These are two different releases. I think the OP was referring to pulling a lever out of the dash. That device was the main way for a long time until makers started with a press on the pedal to release the brake.
Old 09-01-09, 01:37 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Just a simple question, but I was wondering, besides flagship sedans like the Lexus LS, Mercedes-Benz S-Class, how many luxury vehicles have dash-mounted parking brake release? Where you can simple pull the lever next to the steering wheel and the parking brake disengages? How about entry-level, mid-level luxury car classes?

Besides the LS, do any other Lexus models have the dash parking brake release?

Example: S-Class, 2000s:

Thx in advance!
A little off topic, but I think that LS dash was one of the best dash designs of all time. Everything flows perfectly, is angled ergonomically, is not cluttered, and has that high-tech electrical/video game console look. Today's dashes are nice too, but all the buttons festoon the scene and clutter it.
Old 09-01-09, 01:37 AM
encore888
Lexus Champion

The LS had it on the original through LS 430:

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
For some, yes the console it is:

Jaguar XJ

So, among the flagships, looks like only the S550 still uses the dash mounted, left of steering wheel release (so does ML350, new C-Class, etc.):

Whereas the LS 460 has changed from the LS 430, and now uses a button/lever, still on the dash but on the opposite side of the steering wheel, below the push-button start. With the electronic systems the parking brake does not need to be dealt with by the driver much (it automatically activates when shifted to P, like the Cadillac system mentioned above; this site describes a number of such electric parking brake systems: http://aftermarketbusiness.search-au...etail/455727):

And so that leaves the A8/7/XJ using a button on the center console.

...the two generations of GS before current used the left release (this was dropped for the 3GS):

Also the SC 430, like the LS 430 before it, has the left-dash release (which the SC 300/400 apparently did not--center hand brake lever)

Last edited by encore888; 09-01-09 at 11:30 PM.
Old 09-01-09, 11:15 PM
CK6Speed
Super Moderator

Wasn't the foot brake/dash release set up like that around for decades? I remember most of the American cars, or larger sedans that I actually remember had them in the 70s. My parents 1960 something Plymoth Sedan was like that too.

Actually, in fact. I'm sure every car in the past that had a full front bench seat had that type of emergency brake set up. There obviously was no room for a handbrake with the seat in the way.
Old 09-01-09, 11:23 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

The LS had it on the original through LS 430:

For some, yes the console it is:

Jaguar XJ

So, among the flagships, looks like only the S550 still uses the dash mounted, left of steering wheel release (so does ML350, new C-Class, etc.):

Whereas the LS 460 has changed from the LS 430, and now uses a button/lever, still on the dash but on the opposite side of the steering wheel, below the push-button start. With the electronic systems the parking brake does not need to be dealt with by the driver much (it automatically activates when shifted to P, like the Cadillac system mentioned above; this site describes a number of such electric parking brake systems: http://aftermarketbusiness.search-au...etail/455727):

And so that leaves the A8/7/XJ using a button on the center console.

...the two generations of GS before current used the left release (this was dropped for the 3GS):

Also the SC 430, like the LS 430 before it, has the left-dash release (which the SC 300/400 apparently did not?)

Someone really know their parking brakes!

With the electronic systems the parking brake does not need to be dealt with by the driver much (it automatically activates when shifted to P, like the Cadillac system mentioned above; this
So if the LS applies the parking brake each time the car get put into park

Should one be using the parking brake all the time?

I certainly do not...
Old 09-01-09, 11:29 PM
encore888
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by pagemaster
So if the LS applies the parking brake each time the car get put into park

Should one be using the parking brake all the time?

I certainly do not...
The LS 460 Electronic Parking Brake system only does that for you if you have turned it on. In the photo provided it is the button above the Parking Brake Release, labeled 'AUTO'.

Just checked and the 1SC used the center hand brake release lever.
Old 09-02-09, 12:34 AM
Amini9
Lexus Test Driver

2008 bmw 750li has it.
Old 09-02-09, 07:19 AM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

My SC430 has it.

My Multistrada does not.

And here's a fact: Most scooters and the CanAm Spyder have a dash-mounted parking brake.

Quick Reply: How many cars have a dash-mounted parking brake release lever?