Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Poor Economy Takes its Toll on Acura's Product Plans

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-09, 05:51 PM
LexFather

Default Poor Economy Takes its Toll on Acura's Product Plans

Apart from Lexus, Japanese luxury brands still pale in comparison to their German rivals in terms of the number of models they produce and the prices they can command. Overall image in the marketplace and status on the street have likewise proven difficult to develop. That's why Acura is making a hard push specifically to boost its image and achieve 'tier 1' luxury automaker status, but unfortunately the poor state of the economy has thrown a spanner into the works.

The biggest victim was a planned a replacement for the NSX supercar, which was officially canned last December despite development work being nearly complete. The vehicle was to feature a 600 horsepower V-10 engine and be a rival to cars like the Ferrari F430, Nissan GT-R and upcoming Lexus LF-A.

Another kick in the guts for performance fans was the cancelation of a new rear-wheel-drive V-8 program.

Not all is lost, however, as these programs have been shelved for now but may be resurrected if the economy picks up.

As for the rest of the lineup, Acura will be adopting a new focus on fuel economy rather than performance as a way to differentiate itself in the luxury segment. Some of the highlights of company’s product plans for the 2010-12 model years are listed below.

Acura is currently considering a compact car replacement for its RSX, which could arrive in time for the 2012 model year if designers borrow the platform from the next-generation Honda Civic. T
his could be followed by a new CL coupe, though there are no plans as yet for such a vehicle.

The next-generation RL was expected to arrive in time for the 2011 model year and sport the company’s new rear-wheel-drive V-8 platform. Instead, Acura is likely to stick with the current model’s V-6 and front-wheel-drive design.

Both the RDX the MDX have been updated for the 2010 model year and will have to continue on until redesigned versions appear in 2012. Late this year, Acura will also be adding the all-new ZDX crossover to its lineup.

Bah copout

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-product-plans

Last edited by LexFather; 08-31-09 at 10:32 PM.

Old 08-31-09, 05:56 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

From a Accord chassis to a Civic?

What a downgrade...
Old 08-31-09, 06:00 PM
Threxx
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think the RSX was a decent idea when it was around. If you liked the practicality and economy of the civic but just wanted something that had a nicer interior, better equipment, better looks, etc then it was a good car to go with. If they made it less like a fancy current civic and more like a downgraded current TSX then they'd be in business.

One of my primary complaints about the TSX is its weak mileage. It's smaller and lighter than the Accord 4-cyl and yet got worse fuel economy plus required premium fuel. Yeah it made 10 extra horsepower but so what... give me regular fuel and 3-4 extra mpg on the highway and I'll deal with the 10 missing ponies.
Old 08-31-09, 06:02 PM
96SC4
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

^^^ all that, and the TSX is for women...
Old 08-31-09, 06:02 PM
oldcajun
Racer

Received 49 Likes on 34 Posts

Given the state of the economy and coming US mileage standards, this might not be a bad place to be. If the RL had enough interior and trunk space, it's V-6 engine might not be that much of an issue. Most of the E Class and 5 series are sold with 6 cylinder engines.

Ford's new focus with a turbo 6 might prove to be the right approach long term especially coupled to AWD which the RL already has. Acura's new transmission is due next year and should help with performance and mileage. Now, the real task is to make their flagship larger than a compact and to fix the ugly styling.

Steve
Old 08-31-09, 06:09 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Oh, I missed that memo.

Since we've seen enough of the excuses from Acura lately.
Old 08-31-09, 10:22 PM
Iceman
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey, 1SickLex, what's the source for this post? I'm wondering if this is from more Acura press releases and executive interviews or just some speculation by a second-rate automotive journalist.

Either way, it's clear that Acura has lost focus and is now floundering. Every successive decision we see indicates a shift in thinking. They need a clear, strong leader who can articulate a vision for what Acura is supposed to be, then to marshall all corporate decisions from design and product selection to marketing and technology investments in line with that vision.

I personally don't think Acura needs to be "Tier 1"--there are enough competitors in that saturated market already. Acura was at its best when it was unashamedly the "luxury and performance division of the American Honda Motor Company", that is to say that they offered pretty much what Threxx articulated above. For customers who wanted a little more than what Honda offered (more performance, more creature comforts, better fit and finish, nicer materials, better customer service, a nicer dealership and service environment, more gadgets and gizmos, etc.), Acura was perfect. And there was nothing wrong with cars being based off of Civics and Accords, as those were solid platforms to begin with. As long as the Acura versions clearly differentiated themselves by offering a clearly superior feature set, all was fine.

Perhaps Honda's problem is that plain old Hondas have become too good. It's hard to improve on them, which I think explains things like SH-AWD and the awful beak grilles. When the basic cars are so well-built and feature-laden, that doesn't leave much room for upmarket versions. Yet I'm confident that the right leader at Acura's helm could lead them back to relevance and prestige. They don't have to be "Tier 1" to make tons of money and fill a relatively empty but lucrative niche in the marketplace.
Old 08-31-09, 10:26 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

I think that the NSX will just be delayed and the RSX will be a welcomed member of the family to return
Old 08-31-09, 10:33 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Iceman
Hey, 1SickLex, what's the source for this post? I'm wondering if this is from more Acura press releases and executive interviews or just some speculation by a second-rate automotive journalist.

Either way, it's clear that Acura has lost focus and is now floundering. Every successive decision we see indicates a shift in thinking. They need a clear, strong leader who can articulate a vision for what Acura is supposed to be, then to marshall all corporate decisions from design and product selection to marketing and technology investments in line with that vision.

I personally don't think Acura needs to be "Tier 1"--there are enough competitors in that saturated market already. Acura was at its best when it was unashamedly the "luxury and performance division of the American Honda Motor Company", that is to say that they offered pretty much what Threxx articulated above. For customers who wanted a little more than what Honda offered (more performance, more creature comforts, better fit and finish, nicer materials, better customer service, a nicer dealership and service environment, more gadgets and gizmos, etc.), Acura was perfect. And there was nothing wrong with cars being based off of Civics and Accords, as those were solid platforms to begin with. As long as the Acura versions clearly differentiated themselves by offering a clearly superior feature set, all was fine.

Perhaps Honda's problem is that plain old Hondas have become too good. It's hard to improve on them, which I think explains things like SH-AWD and the awful beak grilles. When the basic cars are so well-built and feature-laden, that doesn't leave much room for upmarket versions. Yet I'm confident that the right leader at Acura's helm could lead them back to relevance and prestige. They don't have to be "Tier 1" to make tons of money and fill a relatively empty but lucrative niche in the marketplace.
Got it off TOV
http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...-product-plans

Old 09-01-09, 02:09 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 156 Likes on 91 Posts

Acura has had so many failures in the last fifteen years it's scary. Getting rid of the popular RSX, getting rid of the Legend name, the cyclops-pointed-*** CL, no new coupe for years, never redesigning the NSX, the Vigor, new martian-smiling-*** TL, RL a mess with size, styling, engine, and price, and now the shield grille dillusion tarnishing all models. God help them get some better executives who have some sense. This higher-than-mighty attitude Honda has had over the years is literally killing them.

Last edited by Fizzboy7; 09-02-09 at 12:09 AM.
Old 09-01-09, 06:22 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Apart from Lexus, Japanese luxury brands still pale in comparison to their German rivals in terms of the number of models they produce and the prices they can command.
I disagree. It's hard to fault the Infiniti M35/45 and the newer versions of the G35/37. They compete very well with the Germans. So does the EX35....if you discount the poor rear vision and overly-cramped rear end.

Overall image in the marketplace and status on the street have likewise proven difficult to develop. That's why Acura is making a hard push specifically to boost its image and achieve 'tier 1' luxury automaker status, but unfortunately the poor state of the economy has thrown a spanner into the works.
Again I disagree, at least to an extent. The problem with Acura is not so much image as it has been just making goofy-looking products. The new grilles, for instance, are inexcusable, as is the new TL's both front and rear styling. The RL may not have a V8 and RWD, but what it DOES have is superb, tank-like build quality and materials.....better, IMO (though you are free to disagree) than equivalent-priced (45-50K) Lexus products. But, of course, that is not necessarily the case with the new TL and TSX (you can notice the difference betwen their build quality and the RL), though the new AWD option helps.

(BTW, I know the RL does not sell well natonally, but it seems to be doing decently here in the D.C. area. I see at least several of them every day now.)

The biggest victim was a planned a replacement for the NSX supercar, which was officially canned last December despite development work being nearly complete. The vehicle was to feature a 600 horsepower V-10 engine and be a rival to cars like the Ferrari F430, Nissan GT-R and upcoming Lexus LF-A.
Even if it the new NSX is (or was going to be) a credible rival to to these other supercars, how many cars in this class are actually SOLD? You can't stay in buisness depending on supercars. Ferrari and Lamborghini, for instance, couldn't exist on their own (as Honda/Acura does) unless they were owned by other, much larger companies.

A new NSX, except creating something for the auto press to write about (and us to talk about here on CL), would do little or nothing for the company's problems in the long run. I think that is why the new NSX project has been started and stopped so many times. Every time company management starts to dream of competing with other exotics, the cold world of reality then sets in.

Another kick in the guts for performance fans was the cancelation of a new rear-wheel-drive V-8 program.
Today's technology does not necessarily limit performance to RWD and V8's. In fact, V8's in some cases (depending on design), can actually degrade handling if they are too bulky and nose-heavy.

Not all is lost, however, as these programs have been shelved for now but may be resurrected if the economy picks up.
Again, it depends on your definiton of "lost". Just because something is cancelled does not mean it was needed in the first place. Look at the ZDX and the BMW X6, for example. Those are two vehicles that, IMO, were a waste of design money and resources. I think you will agree to that, too.

As for the rest of the lineup, Acura will be adopting a new focus on fuel economy rather than performance as a way to differentiate itself in the luxury segment. Some of the highlights of company’s product plans for the 2010-12 model years are listed below.

Acura is currently considering a compact car replacement for its RSX, which could arrive in time for the 2012 model year if designers borrow the platform from the next-generation Honda Civic. T
his could be followed by a new CL coupe, though there are no plans as yet for such a vehicle.
A new CL coupe, right now, would probably be questionable...there doesn't seem to be much of a market for it. And (again, I think, you'll agree)......Acura HAD a superb small car with the Integra (especially the 3rd-gen model), and foolishly dropped it for the distinctly tinnier, more poorly-built RSX. The dropping of the Integra, IMO, was one of the worst things the company ever did.
Old 09-01-09, 06:27 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Iceman
A good point, Iceman. I basically agree. Honda build quality, under the skin (and sometimes the skin itself as well), is about as good as it gets in the auto industry, though I admit some Honda designs have become rather quirky, and it cannot be disputed that Toyota does better hybrid powertrains.
Old 09-01-09, 06:30 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 96SC4
Steretypical nonsense.

In fact, the TSX is essentially the non-U.S. market Accord, which is driven by a lot of men and women alike.
Old 09-01-09, 06:33 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Fizzboy7
Acura has had so many failures in the last fifteen years it's scary. Getting rid of the popular RSX,
Getting rid of the Integra was FAR worse. The RSX couldn't measure up to the Integra in several ways.

RL a mess with size, styling, engine, and price, and now the shield grille dillusion tarnishing all models.
If you want a luxury car with the build quality of both a Swiss Watch and a tank, it's hard to beat an RL.
Old 09-01-09, 08:31 AM
LexFather

Mike there is no hope, let it go . It will just be Honda plus and nothing really wrong with that, expect maybe they should quit and just call them all Hondas.

Quick Reply: Poor Economy Takes its Toll on Acura's Product Plans