Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Crime and Punishment

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-09, 09:38 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Crime and Punishment

Around a week ago I went to the "dark side" and purchased a 2009 MDX. Although it gets a ghastly 15 city 20 highway rating (though it is still ULEV), it is really fun to drive and has the additional space I was looking for in the RXh. All that and 3k under invoice made my pick it up. I have to admit that I have been driving it in a way that no SUV really should be driven, but watching SH-AWD eliminate understeer is really fun! The way it pulls through the corner is something to be witnessed.

However the Lexus gods have spoken by giving me this loaner. Run for your lives! It really is an ugly car and an ugly brand. The Acura service place isn't near as nice as Lexus' but they did have value and it is just a crutch on the way to my dream SUV which is most likely a GX550h. Plus we're keeping the RX!

Old 08-29-09, 10:32 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

If you can overlook the ugly beak, the MDX is one of the best SUVs out there, especially for the money. Far more capable and spacious than cute-utes, not as rough as truck based SUVs, reliable and a great value.
Old 08-29-09, 10:59 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The license plate frame of the Acura "loaner" is that of AutoWest Acura. http://www.autowestacura.com/ What is the name of this Lexus dealer that gave you this AutoWest Acura TL ??
Old 08-29-09, 11:16 AM
STIG
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The license plate frame of the Acura "loaner" is that of AutoWest Acura. http://www.autowestacura.com/ What is the name of this Lexus dealer that gave you this AutoWest Acura TL ??
I think he got the TL as a loner for servicing the MDX.
Old 08-29-09, 12:54 PM
AD_SC3
Lexus Test Driver

I just can't get past that ugly grill.
Old 08-29-09, 07:31 PM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

If you can overlook the ugly beak, the MDX is one of the best SUVs out there, especially for the money. Far more capable and spacious than cute-utes, not as rough as truck based SUVs, reliable and a great value.
Very true. IMO the 07-09 MDX grill is the best of the current Acura grills. (though that isn't saying much ) It is actually the reason I went 09 instead of 10.

To me Acura's outlook is gloomy, I cannot forsee them making a hybrid drive as refined and powerful as the HSD and that will mark their ultimate demise if the grill doesn't do it first. The direction they are going is very scary. Truthfully, the 15/20 is just plain disgusting, I vowed I would never do that again but when I looked at how I would be using this vehicle (~5000 miles a year) it really didn't make sense to spend a large premium on efficiency. I was also looking at a 2008 with 20000 miles and they were asking 42k which is actually close to the norm in my area. What resale value!

My getting a TL instead of a TSX is enough of a testament to the fact that TLs are just not selling like they should be.
Old 08-29-09, 07:36 PM
lamar411
Pole Position

i like the beak though it not that bad to me
Old 08-29-09, 09:20 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

To me the 15/20 EPA rating is not that surprising, same as Mercedes ML350 that I owned recently. Both are large and heavy SUVs with a lot of frontal area.
Old 08-30-09, 01:32 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I think its weird that he says acura is an ugly brand yet just bought a 50K Acura SUV
Old 08-30-09, 02:05 AM
Fizzboy7
Lexus Test Driver

Received 170 Likes on 101 Posts

The license plate of the TL sums it up nicely. "6-F-UPxxx."
Old 08-30-09, 02:17 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
I think its weird that he says acura is an ugly brand yet just bought a 50K Acura SUV
starting MSRP price more like 40k and he paid 3k under invoice... not bad.. he bought MDX b/c of size and good performance... sometimes you compromise on what you want, compromise bad looks for size and performance. Nice car IMO
Old 08-30-09, 02:43 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 102 Likes on 67 Posts

I have seen them at the dealerships with the entertainment package and sport package for more than 48k and that before the tax and stuff like clear bra, wheel locks, gap insurance ,etc. Its still a bit pricey car to be calling ugly. I wouldnt buy a 16K civic if I thought it was ugly.

I am personally done with acura based n the horrible service treatment. who the hell has the time to wait around for an oil change. I didnt buy an EVO because there would be no loaner. This goes for acura as well.
Old 08-30-09, 10:08 AM
lucasb7
Lead Lap

Sticker was 46k for Tech package. I payed 38k. At that price I could not find an SUV that could compete with what it was offering. I do think that the back of the vehicle is very handsome, but the front is just a little off. I really liked the RX450h, but I'm an Ab diver and I need to fit diving gear as well as a bunch of camping stuff in the car. This use to be handled by my Toyota Sienna, but I just sold that. I also looked at the HiHy but I would've ended up paying more for less space.

Acura does have problems. Their servicing certainly isn't as nice as Lexus', though they picked my car up so I didn't even have to deal with it. Though as you can see I did get a loaner. The 5 speed does lack innovation, however for driving as few miles as this car does, it really doesn't make a difference. Also, about half of this vehicle's miles will be towing, in which case you are directed by Lexus to not use overdrive in the 350, so it then looses its advantage.
Old 08-30-09, 08:21 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i think the interior is nicer in the MDX vs RX... and the back also looks nice as well, the rest meh.... thats a great price btw
Attached Thumbnails Crime and Punishment-163_0706_10z-2007_acura_mdx-interior_view.jpg   Crime and Punishment-09-04-09-lexus-rx-450h-interior.jpg  
Old 08-30-09, 08:44 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
i think the interior is nicer in the MDX vs RX... and the back also looks nice as well, the rest meh.... thats a great price btw
I too find the interior of the MDX to be much better than the RX. First of all its not minivanish, and its just better crafted and more convenient. Love the solid door handles, the split armrest, etc.

Quick Reply: Crime and Punishment