Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Canadians; Vancouver Island's only Acura dealership is closing Monday

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 06:45 PM
LexFather

Post Canadians; Vancouver Island's only Acura dealership is closing Monday

http://www.timescolonist.com/Island+...535/story.html

Island loses only Acura dealership

Owners replace Honda product with hot-selling Kia automobiles

By Darron Kloster, Times ColonistAugust 27, 2009

Kia Victoria owner Bill Graham, left, with son and dealership general manager Ed.

Kia Victoria owner Bill Graham, left, with son and dealership general manager Ed.
Photograph by: Debra Brash, Times Colonist, Times Colonist

Vancouver Island's only Acura dealership is closing Monday and being replaced by the hot-selling Kia brand.

The Graham family, who own the Honda and Nissan dealerships in Victoria, said the shift away from Honda's premium brand was due to a deteriorating market for high-end automobiles and the parent company's new blueprint calling for expensive improvements to lots and showrooms.

Ed Graham said yesterday the family has acquired the rights to sell Kia from Reg Midgley, who is converting his lots on the Old Island Highway back to used vehicles.

Kia models were being delivered and Acura signs dismantled yesterday at the dealership at 2620 Government St., at Hillside and Gorge. About $300,000 in improvements will be pumped into the new dealership -- now called Kia Victoria -- and all 24 staff, including sales manager Rick Proctor and dealership manager Eli Pasquale, will be retained in the changeover, said Graham.

Graham said Acura owners can still have warranty and service work done at Campus Honda in Victoria, which has been certified to handle the work.

"Acura's new image program and the economy being what it is, didn't make any [financial] sense to us," said Graham, adding higher-end cars were not selling well during the recession.

"We had to look at the viability of the whole organization and things were beginning to get tough in a tough economy. When the economy was going good with Acura we did really well, but when the economy got tough, it got really tough around here. It was time to make a change."

Graham said consumers are shifting not only to fuel-efficient vehicles, but cars with a better price point.

Kia Motors Corp. is South Korea's second-biggest automaker behind Hyundai. Both are being buoyed by double-digit sales increases in Canada, while some luxury-model makers, Japanese brands and the Big Three in North America have suffered sales slides.

Last month, Kia sold 5,110 new cars in Canada, a 30 per cent increase from July 2008, according statistics compiled by Desrosiers Automotive Consultants.

Although Kia's total market share of new auto sales in Canada is slim -- about half a percentage point -- the company has sold 27,219 vehicles over the first seven months of the year, up more than 20 per cent from a year ago.

Hyundai, meanwhile, has doubled its market share to eight per cent this year compared to last, according to Desrosiers

Graham said a Kia Rio, a standard four-door sedan, sells for under $10,000 and comes with a five-year warranty. The range goes to a $40,000 sport utility vehicle with V8 motor and all the extras. The company also introduced the Forte brand, which is exceeding sales expectations across Canada.

Graham's bother **** Graham operates the Campus Honda and Campus Nissan dealerships in Victoria.

Their father, Bill Graham, founded the dealerships in Victoria after arriving from North Battleford, Sask., more than 30 years ago where he operated a Pontiac-Buick outlet.

The senior Graham bought a Toyota dealership at Fort and Foul Bay and moved into Datsun products a few years later. When Datsun became Nissan, Graham moved to the family's current location on Oak Street, where they also sell Nissan's high-end line, Infiniti.

Me thinks it has a lot to do with Acura telling dealerships to invest in making their showrooms Tier 1 but with them canceling RWD/V-8 and basically Tier 1 development, this dealer didn't think it made any sense to upgrade their dealership if they didn't get upgraded products.

Old 08-27-09, 07:58 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Acura for Kia ... I'm not sure if this is necessarilly an improvement, though less beak anywhere is usually considered a +
Old 08-27-09, 09:59 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Just what is the population on Vancouver Island, I'm guessing not a lot of car dealerships there. But I haven't been there for over 5 years.
Old 08-27-09, 10:08 PM
Faymester
Lexus Fanatic

Apparently: 734,860

However, I would say it has more to do with the type of people over there as opposed to how many of them there are.
Old 08-27-09, 10:36 PM
Stormforge
executive matchup

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

you see kia commercials on tv all the time here. acura commercials, not really a whole lot. maybe a TL or TSX commercial once in awhile, that's about it. this dealership bailing on acura is an indictment of honda's failure to address their problems.
Old 08-27-09, 11:25 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

We just recently had a Acura Dealer close in my area. A friend went to take his car in for a oil change and there was an abandoned building to be found.
Old 08-27-09, 11:54 PM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

hahaha just as I was reading this, a commercial for the TL showed.

That's too bad for Acura. Don't know how far the next closest Hyundai dealership is but they should sell Hyundais too.
Old 08-27-09, 11:57 PM
pagemaster
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Jetfire
hahaha just as I was reading this, a commercial for the TL showed.

That's too bad for Acura. Don't know how far the next closest Hyundai dealership is but they should sell Hyundais too.
Nice avatar....That was the best Canucks logo ever!
Old 08-28-09, 12:28 AM
UberNoob
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Faymester
Acura for Kia ... I'm not sure if this is necessarilly an improvement, though less beak anywhere is usually considered a +
look wise, it actually might be an improvement

it is sad but i think an average Kia looks better than the new TL
lol

and that monstrosity they call the ZDX
Old 08-28-09, 07:33 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guess Acura really is pushing the "image" thing. Trying to look Tier 1. First the price hikes on Acura Canada vehicles in 2006 and now they want fancy showrooms? How about fancy products first?

Their current lineup is still pure Acura. IOW, affordable luxury (even with the ridiculous price hike). When people think Acura, they think luxury that they can actually afford vs. say Lexus or Infiniti where it's more of a "wow, you're rich". That might explain why not many RLs are being sold. Even though they're bigger than the competition, the same money can buy a nice GS/5/E/A6/M.
Old 08-28-09, 07:43 PM
bruce van
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting move by that dealer. Jumping ship is probably a good idea, but I would have gone with Hyundai.

I wonder if other dealers will follow if these guys do well.
Old 08-28-09, 10:39 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Nextourer
Acura, they think luxury that they can actually afford vs. say Lexus or Infiniti where it's more of a "wow, you're rich". \.
Acura and Infiniti pretty much in same Boat in my opinion... both Tier II.
Old 08-29-09, 12:01 AM
Jetfire
Royale with cheese

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by KILLERGS4
Acura and Infiniti pretty much in same Boat in my opinion... both Tier II.
Yeah but Infiniti is building cars people want. Infiniti to me has the edge on Acura. Infiniti is still not Tier 1 but they are doing far more than the talking Acura does.
Old 08-29-09, 02:05 AM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Jetfire
Yeah but Infiniti is building cars people want. Infiniti to me has the edge on Acura. Infiniti is still not Tier 1 but they are doing far more than the talking Acura does.
i don't know sales number between Acura and Infiniti, but I'm sure it's not a big difference. Until Infiniti builds a true flagship, they are in the same boat as Acura...
Old 08-29-09, 11:08 PM
Nextourer
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well Infiniti seems to be doing better than Acura.

Quick Reply: Canadians; Vancouver Island's only Acura dealership is closing Monday