Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another MB in last place in another Car and driver comparo

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-09, 05:58 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is ugly as sin and is class leading in absolutely nothing. Benz didn't even try to build a better SUV, they just entered the segment b/c they knew people would ****** them up.

BINGO!!!
The GLK is cheap and awful and the interior is an insult, but MB is practically giving these away with crazy discounts on already low price.
Old 08-13-09, 06:00 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DustinV
And how do you know this?

What should they have done with the GLK? Razor-sharp handling? A V12 engine upfront? What?
Have you ever seen the interior of one? Looks like MB build it using left over parts of Chrysler Pacifica, that were piled up somewhere in the corner from their joint venture days.

Come to think of it, its selling cheaper than the Pacifica
Old 08-13-09, 06:05 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Have you ever seen the interior of one? Looks like MB build it using left over parts of Chrysler Pacifica, that were piled up somewhere in the corner from their joint venture days.

Come to think of it, its selling cheaper than the Pacifica
The interior of the GLK strikes me as just fine. It's a nice place to be. The materials are good, the build quality looks really great, overall a nice place to be in.

What exactly makes the interior "cheap"?
Old 08-13-09, 06:06 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Received 68 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
oh and just for the fun of it, for some reason when i read this thread title i already had a feeling who came in first
Sorry rominl, I am starting to sound like a Audi commerical. BTW, I test drove all 4 of these SUV in the pass months and the article was mostly correct in its evaluations.
Old 08-13-09, 06:07 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by MPLexus301
The fact that the X3 is in 2nd place is absolutely laughable. While the Merc is in last place, the 2nd place finish of a car with an interior comparable to a Kia Rio is more than a little suspect.

They would have probably really preferred for the Bimmer to take 1st place but realized that would raise a few too many eye brows.

Good ole C&D
The X3 is a blast to drive. That is why I have one. Sure the interior is not as fluffy as the others (the new X3 will address that issue), but once behind the wheel driving it on the highway, backroads & around town you will be suprised..
Old 08-13-09, 06:11 AM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DASHOCKER
The X3 is a blast to drive. That is why I have one. Sure the interior is not as fluffy as the others (the new X3 will address that issue), but once behind the wheel driving it on the highway, backroads & around town you will be suprised..

DASH is at least partly correct here. You pretty much can't beat BMW steering systems and chassis engineering, even in SUVs. (OK, maybe with an 80-100K Porsche Cayenne).
Old 08-13-09, 06:12 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

The interior of the GLK strikes me as just fine. It's a nice place to be. The materials are good, the build quality looks really great, overall a nice place to be in.

What exactly makes the interior "cheap"?
Have you seen its interior in real life? Its pretty darn nasty, and considering that its a Merc, its just downright pathetic.

I know that the idea of luxury in yurope is quite different from this side of the pond, we've been there before, so I dont wanna beat the dead horse. But just compare its interior to these of proper luxury SUVs, and you'll understand.
Old 08-13-09, 06:47 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Och
Have you seen its interior in real life? Its pretty darn nasty, and considering that its a Merc, its just downright pathetic.

I know that the idea of luxury in yurope is quite different from this side of the pond, we've been there before, so I dont wanna beat the dead horse. But just compare its interior to these of proper luxury SUVs, and you'll understand.
I've seen the interior and I've sat in the car and I honestly can't figure out what makes the interior cheap. It's a quality interior and the materials are more than up to the job. So what is this problem?

Does this look cheap to you? Because it looks like a nice interior to me.

And now you're going to tell me that this is the standard of what all SUV interiors should look like, right?

Well guess what. They both look good to me. Quality and material quality are high up on both these cockpits. End of the story.
Old 08-13-09, 07:06 AM
Och
Lexus Champion

I've seen the interior and I've sat in the car and I honestly can't figure out what makes the interior cheap. It's a quality interior and the materials are more than up to the job. So what is this problem?

Does this look cheap to you? Because it looks like a nice interior to me.

And now you're going to tell me that this is the standard of what all SUV interiors should look like, right?

Well guess what. They both look good to me. Quality and material quality are high up on both these cockpits. End of the story.
1) I've always hated the RX and though it had awful interior. Although the build quality and materials were always top notch.

2) Sit in the MB, touch the leather, the plastics, play with the controls. They are just downright nasty.
Old 08-13-09, 07:15 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

Personally, I think the interior of the X3 feels cheaper than the GLK.
Old 08-13-09, 07:42 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by The G Man
Personally, I think the interior of the X3 feels cheaper than the GLK.
I agree, having personally inspected both.
Old 08-13-09, 07:44 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
IIRC the GLK was leading this pack by a good margin.
Yes and this is in a weak segment of SUV's.
Old 08-13-09, 08:34 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by The G Man
Sorry rominl, I am starting to sound like a Audi commerical. BTW, I test drove all 4 of these SUV in the pass months and the article was mostly correct in its evaluations.
lol it was meant more to be a joke so my apology if it came differently

if you read up on my posts, you'd know that among all suv, audi q7 is always my fav (overall package)
Old 08-13-09, 09:26 AM
The G Man
Lexus Test Driver

I always like the Q7 too, but it seem to me the Q7 is too big and the Q5 is too small. Audi need to either make the Q5 larger or make the Q7 smaller
Old 08-13-09, 10:06 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

This thread is amusing.

Those clearly supporting the GLK have never driven it or been in one. It is a complete POS and something that I can't believe MB puts their name on. It is so far behind the other MB's we looked at that it is embarassing.

I'd be willing to debate the argument of which interior was worse...the X3 or GLK...but at least the X3 is reasonably fun to drive...the GLK is bad in every category.

Quick Reply: Another MB in last place in another Car and driver comparo