Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Another MB in last place in another Car and driver comparo

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-09, 02:26 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
Yet the GLK sells in droves, its selling pretty well for now (it is new). People want a cheaper baby Benz even if it stacks up pretty low to the competition.

More power to Mercedes for putting out a lackluster product that consumers want.
This vehicle screams badge wh**e. I can't believe that it's selling relatively well. Must be all those people who think they can buy status with a star.
Old 08-12-09, 02:28 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by LexBob2
I thought the 472 X3's for the month was surprising.
Yes considering it's truly EOL (end of life).
Old 08-12-09, 03:40 PM
gshb
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CDNROCKIES
This vehicle screams badge wh**e. I can't believe that it's selling relatively well. Must be all those people who think they can buy status with a star.
i think i can guess as to the market buying the GLK. sex and the city did wonders to sell this suv.
Old 08-12-09, 04:49 PM
RXSF

Received 69 Likes on 42 Posts

well lets take the GLK into perspective.

MB priced it very well. the C350 which is what its based on starts at 39K with the 3.5 engine. This GLK has the same 3.5 engine and it starts at 33K, which is the same price as the 3.0 liter C class.
Old 08-12-09, 04:58 PM
jracerlmn
Lexus Champion

when people buy the cheapest model of any luxury brand, they're buying status. Cheapest rolex, cheapest lexus, cheapest salad at an expensive restaurant.
Old 08-12-09, 06:21 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

you guys ever seen how low Lexus gets ranked as well. Neither are drivers cars so many of te magazines are not feeling them. I remember when I had my G35 all I ever read was good stuff. Car of the year, beamer beater.... it was always good. The GS though is " souless", " wins your mind but not your heart"

Last edited by I8ABMR; 08-15-09 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-12-09, 06:27 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by I8ABMR
The GS though is " souless", " wins your mind but not your heart"

Part of the art of buying a car is THINKING. That, of course, requires a mind.
Impulse buying can (and often does) lead to Buyers' Remorse.

Last edited by mmarshall; 08-12-09 at 06:33 PM.
Old 08-12-09, 07:13 PM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It took awhile but I've learned not to trust what magazines say. It seems to me that every major publication has their preferences and the cars that fulfill these always win. To me it means absolutely nothing whether a car places first or last. To many people seem to think that these rankings are the "truth" - they're not. Far from it.

The Mercedes GLK looks pretty neat to me and I can understand the appeal of this car. It is certainly not lackluster at all. The design has grown on me although I only find it attractive in either white or black and with these rims:

The Volvo is also pretty interesting. I feel it is a vehicle that is well-balanced and yet often overlooked. The XC60 would certainly be my choice if I was shopping for a small SUV in this class.
Old 08-12-09, 07:59 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by DustinV
It took awhile but I've learned not to trust what magazines say. It seems to me that every major publication has their preferences and the cars that fulfill these always win. To me it means absolutely nothing whether a car places first or last. To many people seem to think that these rankings are the "truth" - they're not. Far from it.

The Mercedes GLK looks pretty neat to me and I can understand the appeal of this car. It is certainly not lackluster at all. The design has grown on me although I only find it attractive in either white or black and with these rims:

Have you driven one and actually tried it out on the road? If so, what did you think of it?

I reviewed the Audi Q5 and BMW X3 by CL request, but never got a request for a GLK, so I haven't (yet) driven one.
Old 08-12-09, 08:04 PM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall
Have you driven one and actually tried it out on the road? If so, what did you think of it?

I reviewed the Audi Q5 and BMW X3 by CL request, but never got a request for a GLK, so I haven't (yet) driven one.
Because it's not worth your valuable time Mike....or we would have asked when we were shopping.
Old 08-12-09, 08:40 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by DustinV

The Volvo is also pretty interesting. I feel it is a vehicle that is well-balanced and yet often overlooked. The XC60 would certainly be my choice if I was shopping for a small SUV in this class.
It is ugly as sin and is class leading in absolutely nothing. Benz didn't even try to build a better SUV, they just entered the segment b/c they knew people would ****** them up.

When the X3 debuted it got ripped up in every magazine until the MMC to the suspension. Even so the Euro mags hate it but somehow the American mags LOVE it.
Because it's not worth your valuable time Mike....or we would have asked when we were shopping.

BINGO!!!

Old 08-12-09, 11:05 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Remind us as to how the months sales stats look by brand/model of these small/useless premium cute 'utes..........................................
Old 08-13-09, 05:46 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by mmarshall

I've not driven the GLK. Most European reviews seem to love it though. And it's based on the C class platform, is it not? I used to drive a C class here and I liked the car a lot. If the GLK drives like a C class, albeit with more weight, then that's not a bad thing at all.
Old 08-13-09, 05:47 AM
LexBob2
Lexus Champion

Received 137 Likes on 111 Posts

Originally Posted by IS-SV
Remind us as to how the months sales stats look by brand/model of these small/useless premium cute 'utes..........................................
IIRC the GLK was leading this pack by a good margin.
Old 08-13-09, 05:51 AM
DustinV
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 1SICKLEX
It is ugly as sin and is class leading in absolutely nothing. Benz didn't even try to build a better SUV, they just entered the segment b/c they knew people would ****** them up.
And how do you know this?

What should they have done with the GLK? Razor-sharp handling? A V12 engine upfront? What?

I've said it before but these firms know their customers and what they want and they have to adhere to this. By most accounts the GLK is a sporty car, just not as sporty as the X3 or Q5. I suppose that's because it adheres to traditional MB values such as comfort for instance.

The GLK is a good car. Every car here is a good car. Believe it or not these machines are tailored to their target markets and consumer groups. If Car and Driver or Motor Trend say something, who are they to decide what this vehicle should be or shouldn't?

Quick Reply: Another MB in last place in another Car and driver comparo