Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

Cop rear ended someone, other cops helped frame DUI, suspended

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 06:03 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts
Default Cop rear ended someone, other cops helped frame DUI, suspended

not sure if this was posted before, search came up with nothing

heard about it on today show and found the links. i hope they are fired and get some nice jail time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMMYXlp9s_Y

Officer Dewey Pressley - Arresting Officer

July 29, 2009

Hollywood, Florida Police Department,

Chief's Desk: 954-967-4300
Public Affairs Desk: 954-967-4314
^^Voice your opinions ^^

Alexandra Torrensvilas was the target of cops who pinned a DUI on her for an accident they caused. Now she has been cleared of charges after the Broward State Attorney's Office officially dropped the four DUI citations on Wednesday.

But the saga is far from over as now prosecutors turn their attention to the four Hollywood police officers who made up an intricate story to cover for a February traffic accident involving a cop car. The scheme was caught on one of the officers dashboard cameras.

The disturbing video shows Alexandra Torrensvilas, 23, handcuffed in the back of the squad car as the officers get their stories straight on what they are going to say happened.

Officer Joel Francisco, 36, an 11-year veteran, crashed into the back of Torrensvilas' vehicle at a light on February 17 at midnight. The cop radioed to other officers who converged on the scene and hatched a way to bail Francisco out.

Officer Dewey Pressley, 42, arrives and questions Torrensvilas, who tells him that she has been drinking. The 21-year veteran officer seizes the opportunity and arrests her for DUI. But the plot thickens from there.

The cops begin to brainstorm believable excuses for the accident.

"As far as I'm concerned. I'm going to put words in his mouth. She went to accelerate and a cat jumped out of the window at which point he thought it could have been a pedestrian, which distracted him," Pressley tells Sgt. Andrew Diaz, another veteran of the force. "I mean what's the chances of hitting a f---in drunk when a cat jumps out of the window?"

Still, the cops run with the half-baked idea and rush to get Torrensvilas to do a Breathalyzer test so they can officially say she was drunk.

"I nailed her on the video. I already hung her on video. She said she has been doing a beer party," Pressley says. "She's gonna blow."

Then, another cop debates with Pressley on who is going to write up the fabricated report to clear their police comrade.

"I know how I'm going to word this with the cat so we can get him off the hook. I'll write the narrative," Pressley says. "We're going to bend this a little bit."

Civilian Community Service Officer Karim Thomas joins the three senior officers and the four cops go so far as to change the angle of pictures of the accident to make it look like Torrensvilas swerved in front of the cop car and caused the accident, not Francisco.

Throughout the tape, the cops acknowledged what they are doing is illegal, but when you are the law, there is nothing wrong with bending it for a fellow cop, one says.

"I don't lie and make things up ever because it's wrong, but if I need to bend it a little bit to protect a cop, I'll do it," Pressley tells Francisco after reassuring him no one will ever find out. "She's freaking hammered anyway."

The cops even do a final rehearsal before Villa is taken to the city lock up.

"We'll take care of it," one officer says. The others reply: "We're good."

The police officers are currently on administrative duty pending a state attorney's office investigation.
Old 08-03-09, 06:08 PM
Och
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

And I bet crap like this goes on all the time, its just one of these pigs got caught.

I've had a couple encounters with cops that made me complete lose trust in them, and lose all respect to them.
Old 08-03-09, 06:10 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by Och
And I bet crap like this goes on all the time, its just one of these pigs got caught.
Thats what sad.

Henry, this is just awful, I hope she sues them for everything they are worth.

Old 08-03-09, 06:32 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

yeah as of now she's pursuing all legal actions from what i heard this morning

these cops aren't just pigs, they are retarded at best. i mean, if you are going to frame people and all these stuff, be smarter and don't get yourself recorded! DUMB

i was still sleeping when this was aired. i was so "pissed" listening that i actually opened my eyes and see what's up
Old 08-03-09, 06:36 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

If the article is accurate, then what the cops did was certainly deplorable, but the fact remains that she had been drinking. Even though she was not at fault if someone hit her at a light when she was sitting still, we don't know how much BAC she had in her.....the article doesn't say. By drinking and driving, she gave the cops something to use against her......even if they got carried away and did it illegally.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the cops, because I'm not....they clearly went overboard. But it is risky to drink and drive....even if just a small amount.
Old 08-03-09, 07:20 PM
pvmike1
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mmarshall
If the article is accurate, then what the cops did was certainly deplorable, but the fact remains that she had been drinking. Even though she was not at fault if someone hit her at a light when she was sitting still, we don't know how much BAC she had in her.....the article doesn't say. By drinking and driving, she gave the cops something to use against her......even if they got carried away and did it illegally.

I don't want to sound like I'm defending the cops, because I'm not....they clearly went overboard. But it is risky to drink and drive....even if just a small amount.
Otherwise it would have been an arrest for "unsafe speed" or some other catch all, BS charge. Again, no BAC, so you can't fault the girl for having some wine with dinner.
Old 08-03-09, 07:40 PM
huddleston
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 13 Posts

makes me mad - just proves nothing good happens when you drink and drive.
Old 08-03-09, 07:51 PM
mmarshall
Lexus Fanatic

Received 83 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by pvmike1
Otherwise it would have been an arrest for "unsafe speed" or some other catch all, BS charge. Again, no BAC, so you can't fault the girl for having some wine with dinner.
We don't know what she had to drink with dinner...or how much of it. The cops said, in the article, she told them she was at a "beer party"......but, of course, we don't know if that is a credible statement on the part of the either. So, I'm not making any accusations (or value judgements) about it other than to say the obvious......the less you have in your system when you are driving, the betetr off you are.

The interesting part is that, even if she WAS legally DUI (which was questionable to start with), the DA dropped the charges on her. Apparantly the DA was more concerned (and rightly so, IMO) with the shannanigans the cops were pulling.
Old 08-03-09, 09:10 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by mmarshall
We don't know what she had to drink with dinner...or how much of it. The cops said, in the article, she told them she was at a "beer party"......but, of course, we don't know if that is a credible statement on the part of the either. So, I'm not making any accusations (or value judgements) about it other than to say the obvious......the less you have in your system when you are driving, the betetr off you are.

The interesting part is that, even if she WAS legally DUI (which was questionable to start with), the DA dropped the charges on her. Apparantly the DA was more concerned (and rightly so, IMO) with the shannanigans the cops were pulling.
that was because the cops lost ALL their credibility and no one can say whether they frame the DUI as well (as to the amount of alcohol in her system). as soon as they lie once, no matter how small the lie is, all charges will be dropped coz' they won't hold in court anymore

remind me of a speeding case i read a few years ago. the guy got a speeding ticket and fought it in the court. cop came, and as soon as the judging started, he asked the cop "are you chewing a gum?" (no eating of any kind allowed in court). no matter what the cop said he was going to be in trouble. simply put -- chargers dropped

she didn't deny she drank, she even admitted on tv this morning. but i can't see how that would be brought upon this case at all. she was not stopped coz' she was driving unsafe or was reported by anyone.
Old 08-04-09, 12:11 AM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

dirty little piggies. This kind of stuff goes on all of the time I am sure.
Old 08-04-09, 06:02 AM
kt22cliff
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You really shouldn't play lawyer on internet if you are not a real one or at least know what's going on. What you said below is NOT what happens in the real world. I don't know what kind of Kangaroo court you have where you live but the "lie" has to be material to the case. Now in this girl with DUI framing story, it IS material to the case so DA can't bring the charges but the chewing gum is total BS. No sane judge will drop a traffic or any other case because of that unless he was out to get the cop/DA for some personal reason.

Also this last paragraph is false as well. Let's say hypothetically she was drunk with BAC 0.1% and someone else - doesn't even have to be a cop - hit her on the back of the car while she was stopped and waiting at the red light. Now if the cops come and if they do the right thing they should write the person hit her from behind up as being at fault for the the accident and should arrest her for being DUI after administering the sobriety and/or the breathalyzer test.

Originally Posted by rominl
that was because the cops lost ALL their credibility and no one can say whether they frame the DUI as well (as to the amount of alcohol in her system). as soon as they lie once, no matter how small the lie is, all charges will be dropped coz' they won't hold in court anymore

remind me of a speeding case i read a few years ago. the guy got a speeding ticket and fought it in the court. cop came, and as soon as the judging started, he asked the cop "are you chewing a gum?" (no eating of any kind allowed in court). no matter what the cop said he was going to be in trouble. simply put -- chargers dropped

she didn't deny she drank, she even admitted on tv this morning. but i can't see how that would be brought upon this case at all. she was not stopped coz' she was driving unsafe or was reported by anyone.
Old 08-04-09, 06:54 AM
SNiiP3R
Lead Lap

Received 34 Likes on 26 Posts

Unfortunately, most cops are like that I think the only honest cops are those who just joined the force. Then they learn a thing or two. Anyways, I've seen cops plant drugs, use mace and taser guns for no particular reason. I got a seatbelt ticket once, and I had my seatbelt on. Although, both cops told me I was not wearing a seat belt. There was not much I could do, 2 > 1
Old 08-04-09, 08:17 AM
gengar
Moderator: LFA, Clubhouse

Received 43 Likes on 33 Posts

Very curious why the DUI charges were dropped. The cops should be pilloried for this and rightfully so, but she was still driving drunk.

Originally Posted by rominl
It's irrelevant. Drunk driving is a strict liability offense in pretty much every (if not every) state.
Old 08-04-09, 08:40 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Originally Posted by kt22cliff
You really shouldn't play lawyer on internet if you are not a real one or at least know what's going on. What you said below is NOT what happens in the real world. I don't know what kind of Kangaroo court you have where you live but the "lie" has to be material to the case. Now in this girl with DUI framing story, it IS material to the case so DA can't bring the charges but the chewing gum is total BS. No sane judge will drop a traffic or any other case because of that unless he was out to get the cop/DA for some personal reason.

Also this last paragraph is false as well. Let's say hypothetically she was drunk with BAC 0.1% and someone else - doesn't even have to be a cop - hit her on the back of the car while she was stopped and waiting at the red light. Now if the cops come and if they do the right thing they should write the person hit her from behind up as being at fault for the the accident and should arrest her for being DUI after administering the sobriety and/or the breathalyzer test.
not at all. the defense (he was a lawyer) simply said to the judge if a cop can't really abide by the law nor could he tell the truth, then how could anything he said in court be trust worthy. the judge agreed and dropped the case. end of story. i didn't play lawyer, i don't even have to

and in this case from what the defense attorney said on tv, they also dropped the charges because they could no longer be sure about trusting any of these 4 cops so the charges doesn't hold. yeah that defense attorney is a lawyer i believe

all i was saying is the cop changed the story and tried to put the focus on her DUI, but in this "case", it's about the cop rear ending her

yeah, all said were facts. i don't need to make up crap
Old 08-04-09, 09:23 AM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting.

I'm sure even the cops in question wish they had taken a different CYA approach.

Quick Reply: Cop rear ended someone, other cops helped frame DUI, suspended