Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park

Old 08-02-09, 09:31 PM
LexFather

Default 1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park

Leaving Fuddruckers (well we were the last people) after a hearty meal I was walking my G/F to her car as we drove separately. I then hear the now common whine of a Goat being dragged down the street legs first drunk, so I look up and a G35 coupe is in front of us. Its still a great looking car even with 8 dents in it but I then notice the guy is trying to "reverse" in to park.

So this guy is trying to reverse into the spot but clearly he can't drive. We are the only two cars parked, there are three spaces between us and he's reversing seemingly as close to my G/F as possible. So I stand outside to watch this asshat and I get some fresh popcorn as this might be entertaining.

It is
. Let me tell you all something. Reversing cars into spaces was cool TO ME in the 1990s and early 2000s (thats when I started driving). After that seemingly everyone got a good car or thinks they have a good car so now half the parking lot is of people reversed in. I remember when I had a Nissan and I would hang out and see the cars parked in reverse. They seemingly were always already parked and it was only top flight cars, Ranges, S-classes, true VIP material. I would not DARE park in reverse. I would park in the worst spots possible so people in good cars can get the good spots. I'm serious here. Who wants to see a POS parked up front in reverse? I'll let the guy in the Bentley take that spot.

Today I see everything from old *** Integras to Cobalts reversed in. If they are extra douche, they take up two spots or straddle the line. The past 3 or so years its an epidemic of parking proportions. Reversing your car in DRAWS ATTENTION to your car. Why draw attention to something as pedestrian as the asphalt we are driving on? Has anyone ever walked in a lot and seen an Accord, Camry, Malibu, E55, Sonata, reversed in. The E55 is a big... and the rest is a big

Maybe its just me. It could be.

So as I eat my popcorn I soon realize this guy sucks at reversing bad. I think to all the magazine reviews and internet freaks bragging about sport and now I'm thinking its bought by people who can't park. Thats when I notice the guy is of course, on his cell phone. He has now tried to reverse in twice and twice is closer to my G/F than anything else. Of course since he has a deal with Warren Buffett in the morning, he can't put the phone down two seconds to park.

The guy THINKS he is done and I'm staring at him and he glances over and realizes he is parked to close to my G/F. So the adventure begins and finally he moves up and parks on the other side of the line. I don't care no one is here.

For the extra entertainment I see his balance the phone on his shoulder b/c Warren Buffet is giving him the next big stock tip and he grabs the window with both hands b/c IT DOESN'T WORK. So he's now pulling the window up with his hands.

At this point I'm out of popcorn and deciding this is my next blog.

Look, if you are going to REVERSE into a spot do it right and do it in one motion. Learn how to drive your damn car. It looks sweet if you can reverse into a spot with one take.

You look like a complete jerk if you take 15 minutes to reverse into a spot. You are now cool minus 4,000 points. It might take 10 years to get those points back.

I cannot lie I used to reverse into spots to show off. At car meets and shows, you reverse into spots. At a freaking Wal-Mart, why are you reversed in? If anything its harder to put stuff in your trunk. Are you going to jump in the car Dukes of Hazzards style and you have to take off right away?

Last week I met a friend for Pizza. I parked like a regular ole car in a regular ole spot. As I sit on the patio a woman in an Accord takes 10 minutes to reverse park next to me. I then see two 300Cs reverse park for 10 minutes each. The guy in the Escalade drove around the parking lot 55 times and turned his lights on off and finally waited for someone to leave so he could park reverse in front.

The icing on the cake as I watched this was the guy in the IS who seemingly reversed parked in the middle of two handi-cap spaces with his family and seemingly was handi-capped as it took 25 minutes to reverse park. He actually ordered pizza and tried to park and his food was ready when he finally finished.

The good news was the guy in the Mazda Miata later on reverse parked in one motion like it was completely natural. It restored faith people can park.

I must end this as Buford T. Justice is about to make his appearance on Smokey and the Bandit and I wish he was around to inflict some law and order around these parking parts.

Old 08-02-09, 09:38 PM
PhilipMSPT
Cycle Savant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I reverse park my car and motorcycle as often as possible.

It's not because of aesthetics, it's just easier to leave (and safer compared to backing up into traffic).
Old 08-02-09, 09:40 PM
sleeper408

Received 16 Likes on 8 Posts

I reverse park when I'm hunting for parking then accidentally pass one. Instead of backing up and then pulling into the spot nose first, I just reverse or "racer" park it as they call it.
Old 08-02-09, 09:43 PM
LexFather

Originally Posted by PhilipMSPT
I reverse park my car and motorcycle as often as possible.

It's not because of aesthetics, it's just easier to leave (and safer compared to backing up into traffic).
Do you take 10 minutes to do so?

Old 08-02-09, 10:02 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another reason (of many) to avoid Fudruckers. Most of them closed around here thankfully.
Old 08-03-09, 12:05 AM
CDNROCKIES
Lexus Champion

Now you've hurt my feeling Mike....I reverse park half the time.

But only in the F...never in the ML...lol.

Thank goodness for the reverse camera so I don't look like a douche doing it.
Old 08-03-09, 05:56 AM
nikko2jzge
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I always reverse park my Mighty Max, just in case I need a jump or something.
Old 08-03-09, 07:03 AM
Lets Drive
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This.

For me, it has always been a great way to avoid any potential curb damage, while being easier to pull out. While there are right-of-way laws, some drivers take it a bit too far by blazing through parking lots, knowing its more difficult to work with limited visibility, and so its much safer to pull out where I can see sooner.

As for taking long to park, I see that with both 'normal' parking and reversing in. People who pull in 'normally', just as often tend to be in a hurry, parking at terrible angles, swinging their door into the car next to them, or straddle more than one lane in their botched parking job. Then, instead of watching them park for 10 minutes, you get to watch them try to leave their spot for 10 minutes, as they reverse and pull forward a number of times (provided they care enough not to hit anyone), before exiting.

Bad parking is bad parking; doubly so when you’re on your cell phone.
Old 08-03-09, 07:04 AM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I always park far away from everyone else, but still reverse in. : ) The backup camera and tilt-down side mirrors on the IS helps with single-motion movement.

Love the Buffett commentary, btw.
Old 08-03-09, 07:30 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

I back into spaces about half the time except for at home and at work where I do it every time. BUT for me its a one shot deal. I can't remember the last time I had to try more then once to back properly into a space. the other half of the time I park so far away from everyone else to avoid door dings that I can just pull through the space so I am pointing out.

As a side note I have been places where there are signs specifically stating NOT to back into spaces presumably to save everyone from people that try to do it and don't have the skill to pull it off.
Old 08-03-09, 07:43 AM
Allen K
-0----0-

Received 561 Likes on 384 Posts

I back my car in all the time when it's convenient Of course I park in the middle of nowhere half the time so if I mess up no one notices
Old 08-03-09, 07:49 AM
JonSC4
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmm, I didn't know reverse parking was seen as a status/show off thing. I always did it for the ease of leaving...you never know when you'll have to make a fast getaway .
Old 08-03-09, 07:52 AM
DASHOCKER
Lexus Fanatic

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

I back into my spot everyday. It is easy as 1,2,3 for me. Men tend to do this more than women for some reason. I seldom see women backing into spaces..
Attached Thumbnails 1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park-kdk_0039.jpg  
Old 08-03-09, 08:26 AM
Koma

I back into the spot I park in at work everyday. I do it so I can leave quicker when I get out of work.

I straddle the line too, but only when the side I'm straddling isn't another parking spot. I just don't trust people enough to let them park closer to my car.
Old 08-03-09, 08:52 AM
ffpowerLN
Lexus Champion

Nothing wrong with reverse parking, actually IMO that should be one of the technics that people should perform during the driving test... Reverse parking is actually easier for getting in and out when the parking space is small, that's why in many countries in Asia, where they don't have the luxury to have big *** parking spaces like we do (funny how people STILL CANNOT park here...), reverse parking is the prefer method.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park