Car Chat General discussion about Lexus, other auto manufacturers and automotive news.

1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-09, 02:25 PM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by tzu911
Yup.. this is not directed towards Phil or any CL memeber, but I always wonder the same thing when I see ppl reverse park. Cops do it for a good reason (so when they got shot in the head they can still go after the bad guys), but I don't see anyone else needing to waste the 280-point-turn, brake pads (here's a dust pan for you) and half a tank of gas. Hot import night is in Atlantic City this week folks, not here not tonight.
Not sure about others but I practice 1 point reverse parking here.

One Good Reason to back in: At work 3 of my co-workers have been hit by employees of the building next door speeding through our shared parking lot. All 3 were backing out of their parking spaces. When I start to pull out of my space I can see clearly in both directions.

Last edited by Debonair; 08-03-09 at 02:32 PM.
Old 08-03-09, 02:31 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

haha i guess i am just a very simple person. front in and back in, doesn't matter. whether it's for a reason, doesn't matter. AS LONG AS he/she knows how to drive and how to get it done right / fast, that's what counts. 1 to 2 shots max, anything more than that, the driver obviously has no idea how to drive
Old 08-03-09, 02:39 PM
IS-SV
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, a complete and skilled driver should parking techniques mastered too.
Old 08-03-09, 02:45 PM
ExTrEmE99
Lexus Champion

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Coco-bun
this is why i hate going to meets and having to park next to the Lexus guys in reverse...

bc I SUCK AT PARKING IN REVERSE lol. It sucked even more in Japan b/c you had to park like that since the parking garages are so friggin small.
+1

The 2IS has great turn ratio so i always park front first, but when i need to reverse into a spot, i need enough room so i can make one swift straight backup.. but that almost never happens

I wish my 2IS had the tilting mirror too , because that would really help in those parallel parking situations. I use it on the MDX i drive occasionally and it much easier then a backup camera. Also im also cautious of curbing my wheels
Old 08-03-09, 05:50 PM
2002GGPIS3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to do it for work, get it right in one take about half the time and the only other time I do it is for car meets and shows. My big driving flaws are parking and reversing so I do them as less as possible.
Old 08-03-09, 07:06 PM
montgb
Lexus Champion

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by caymandive
I freaking hate the majority of reverse parkers. If you can't get it on the first try every time then you just shouldn't be doing it. It holds people up trying to get around you, you look like a tool and really so what if it's quicker getting out of the spot when it clearly takes 3 times+ as long backing your **** into a spot. Sorry my little rant for the day, but in general parking areas, reverse parking should be banned. It's NOT cool no matter what you think.
LOL, tell us James, how do you REALLY feel about reverse-parkers?
Old 08-03-09, 08:50 PM
tmf2004
5% Club. Killing it!!!

Received 63 Likes on 61 Posts

Originally Posted by Shinobi-X
This.

For me, it has always been a great way to avoid any potential curb damage, while being easier to pull out. While there are right-of-way laws, some drivers take it a bit too far by blazing through parking lots, knowing its more difficult to work with limited visibility, and so its much safer to pull out where I can see sooner.

As for taking long to park, I see that with both 'normal' parking and reversing in. People who pull in 'normally', just as often tend to be in a hurry, parking at terrible angles, swinging their door into the car next to them, or straddle more than one lane in their botched parking job. Then, instead of watching them park for 10 minutes, you get to watch them try to leave their spot for 10 minutes, as they reverse and pull forward a number of times (provided they care enough not to hit anyone), before exiting.

Bad parking is bad parking; doubly so when you’re on your cell phone.

I reverse mostly at the gym.. don't know why really.. I guess it is easier to leave.. I've seen worse regular park jobs in my time, that reverse parking is so much cleaner looking regardless of what kind of car it is..

Especially the old farts down here in FL who can't park worth a sh_t. angled, over the line, wheels turned, etc.. Its pretty horrific..

In any event i do try and park far away.. The best parking lot are the ones that are curbless.. Easier to park and don't have to worry about messing the TTE up.. Those are the best..
Old 08-03-09, 08:55 PM
KILLERGS4
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

i do it on occasions, when the spot is nice and the car is clean!
Old 08-03-09, 08:57 PM
blacksc400
Car Chat Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I reverse park at work everyday, because my front lip is too low and it might get damaged. And I never had to do it more than one take.
Old 08-03-09, 09:48 PM
wolverine
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i reverse in. easier to get out, does that make me a douche?
Old 08-03-09, 11:00 PM
iKenn
Just call me "Sprinkes"

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Sometimes I get it, sometimes I dont.
Old 08-04-09, 08:37 AM
bagwell
Lexus Champion

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I reverse park the vette about 50% of the time simply because I'm scared I'll scrape the nose.

I don't care who does it -- just don't do it when 5 cars are behind you waiting to get by!!!!
Old 08-04-09, 10:35 AM
Habious

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm of the opinion that, if they know how to do it properly, I don't have an issue with someone reverse-parking (I thought the term was "fancy parking").

But, the total douche-bags are the people who reverse park into ANGLED spaces. You know, the parking lots that are set up with the spaces at an angle, to make it easy to pull into, and pull out of? It's also the kind of parking lot where each lane is ONE-WAY! So, when someone reverse-parks into one of these spots, not only does he/she have to reverse the car at an insane angle to get into the spot, when he/she finally gets back in the car to leave, they're going THE WRONG WAY down the parking isle. DB'edness at it's finest.
Old 08-04-09, 10:46 AM
Debonair
iModerate

Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
I'm of the opinion that, if they know how to do it properly, I don't have an issue with someone reverse-parking (I thought the term was "fancy parking").

But, the total douche-bags are the people who reverse park into ANGLED spaces. You know, the parking lots that are set up with the spaces at an angle, to make it easy to pull into, and pull out of? It's also the kind of parking lot where each lane is ONE-WAY! So, when someone reverse-parks into one of these spots, not only does he/she have to reverse the car at an insane angle to get into the spot, when he/she finally gets back in the car to leave, they're going THE WRONG WAY down the parking isle. DB'edness at it's finest.
Old 08-04-09, 01:13 PM
LexFather

All sorts of parking fail
http://www.epiccarnival.com/2009/08/...caught-on.html

Quick Reply: 1SICKBLOG III : Don't be a douche when you reverse park